Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default EMT at local CC or at Academy?

I've been enrolled in EMT basic course for about 2 months now, part-time. I really enjoy the class and I am planning on going to fire school and eventually medic school at one of the academies in FL. I'm not in FL right now, so all I can do is go to EMT school, since the other training has to be done in FL.

But I have a question... I work about 50-55 hrs a week - not related to fire/ems. It is difficult for me to balance the work schedule, plus attend class and study. My EMT class is in another city in which I live in, so I have to leave work early, or sometimes take off the entire day in order to go. My employer is giving me a hard time about missing work. I'm doing the best I can trying to manage both, but it's difficult.

I also feel like my EMT class could be a little better - we have no clinical or ride time at all. It's "not in the budget," apparently. I'm wondering if I should just take the course over again when I get to FL so I can get more time in, and feel more confident. I'd lose a little bit of $ and obviously my time if I decide to take it in FL. I'm pretty torn, what would you guys do? I'll be working a lot less hrs in FL while I go to EMT and Fire school, so I feel like I can dedicate more time to it. Plus, I think the EMT course will be a better program than the one I'm currently in. OTOH, I'm not a quitter, and I feel a bit guilty if I decide to take myself out of this course. I'm pretty hard-headed, determined, and can get a bit obsessive about things. So I'm torn about what to do. Input?

I don't think it's going to be a "should I take the course again in FL". It will be more of a "you will take the course again", without the clincal time and proper hours it's going to be very hard for you to challenge or be cleared in FL. To me since you say you will have more time on your hands down here, you should hang it up for the time being, make your move, settle in, enroll in EMT and Standards while having a less stressful work schedule in FL. You need to be on point in these classes especially when trying to work in the area you goto school. For many this is the first exposure/interview for the guys as your instructors, you make a good impression, you may be a notch hire on that departments list when it comes post-entry test time. Get all your ducks in a row first, it's great to jump in and be extremely eager, but in the job climate you may find yourself in a hurry up and wait mode. Not to be a downer but that's the reality right now.

Forum Member

1. How much longer is the course?

2. how soon do you plan to move to fl ????

Forum Member

Hi, thx for the reply. It's an accredited course, but I'm not sure how that would equate in FL. We don't get any ride along time or any patient interaction, etc. I don't like that at all. My wife is an RN and she says getting my EMT w/o clinicals would be like her getting her degree online.

You work for Orlando, correct? That's where I'm from (born in S FL) but I've lived in Orlando and Oviedo. I would be thrilled to work for City of Orlando one day.

Yes, it very well could be a "hurry up and wait" game... it could take 2-3 yrs I'm guessing (hopefully not longer) to get a FF job, but that's ok. I would like to go to medic school and work as an EMT or a stress tech (or whatever else I could do) until my time comes. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    I don't think it's going to be a "should I take the course again in FL". It will be more of a "you will take the course again", without the clincal time and proper hours it's going to be very hard for you to challenge or be cleared in FL. To me since you say you will have more time on your hands down here, you should hang it up for the time being, make your move, settle in, enroll in EMT and Standards while having a less stressful work schedule in FL. You need to be on point in these classes especially when trying to work in the area you goto school. For many this is the first exposure/interview for the guys as your instructors, you make a good impression, you may be a notch hire on that departments list when it comes post-entry test time. Get all your ducks in a row first, it's great to jump in and be extremely eager, but in the job climate you may find yourself in a hurry up and wait mode. Not to be a downer but that's the reality right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    1. How much longer is the course?

2. how soon do you plan to move to fl ????
    1. I'm about halfway through the course at this point. A good two months left I'd say.

2. Moving back to FL in early 2012. Plan on going to CFFA, whether it be for EMT and FF, I dont know. That's still TBD.

Forum Member

Default Keep em coming...

Please keep the comments coming. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Floater for life!!

Accredited has little or nothing to do with it. The state of FL does nto have an EMT exam as of yet. They combine the hours required in an EMT program with a NREMT exam and combine those to make a FL license. Your best bet for confirmation is to contact the FL Dept of Health or MQA.

I came from Jersey with my NJ and NREMT. I applied online through the DOH website, and took the exam at a Pearson Vue online center.
    But that was 4 years ago. Best bet, email or call Fla DoH.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

If you can make your current boss happy. I would suggest you stay in class with the short time you have left

Forum Member

Default thx

thx guys. i believe (from what i have gathered recently) that i will have to take the state exam (my current state), the national reg exam, and then the florida emt exam. wow! 3 exams to be licensed in 1 state?!?

my other dilemma is my confidence. i want to feel very confident obviously. at this point, due to my scheduling conflicts with work and such, and the fact that we dont really do anything outside of the classroom, my confidence level is not at the level i would like it to be. and i know that the academy will provide that for me.
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 10-19-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Forum Member

Alright, not to sound like a dick but how the hell do you do EMT school without ever touching/talking to a patient? Ride times and clinical are essential. If your wife is an RN then you should defiantly find a way to shadow her at work.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Alright, not to sound like a dick but how the hell do you do EMT school without ever touching/talking to a patient? Ride times and clinical are essential. If your wife is an RN then you should defiantly find a way to shadow her at work.
    Hi FireMedic 61,

I know what you mean. I dropped out of the class and although I've been torn about it, in the long run, I think it was wise to take the class elsewhere, which I'll be doing in the next several months. I was also getting some crap from some of the guys at work (about missing work)... missing a couple hrs of work here and there. etc.

So it was a combination of the two.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Hi FireMedic 61,

I know what you mean. I dropped out of the class and although I've been torn about it, in the long run, I think it was wise to take the class elsewhere, which I'll be doing in the next several months. I was also getting some crap from some of the guys at work (about missing work)... missing a couple hrs of work here and there. etc.

So it was a combination of the two.
    I know you've talked about CFFA for EMT and Standards... you know they have a wait list to get in and you have to test to get into a class... When I went I did the application meeting and tested a few days or weeks later can't remember... Then I had to wait 5 months to get into a class..

Forum Member

Oh crap, that's not good. I had no idea about that. What kind of test do I need to take to get into EMT class at CFFA (the ERGO test)?
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 10-29-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member

Yes it is the ergo video test and a physical agility. You have to go to an application meeting which they have once a month as the first step... Then you pay application fee and they will schedule you for the test... They test very large groups at a time.... Then you just have to wait to get in a class.... Which can be months....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMCFF View Post
    Yes it is the ergo video test and a physical agility. You have to go to an application meeting which they have once a month as the first step... Then you pay application fee and they will schedule you for the test... They test very large groups at a time.... Then you just have to wait to get in a class.... Which can be months....

Yup, figured you were talking about the ERGO. I think I have CFFA's website memorized by now. I did know that you were placed into the class by how you "ranked" but I guess I didnt put 2 and 2 together thinking that I may be placed on a waiting list. Hopefully I do well on both. I thought I read that I didn't have to take the ERGO test because I had a 4-yr degree, but I may have misread.

Forum Member

do you guys really feel like ride times and clinicals are a must for EMT school? I mean how much did you really learn out of what, maybe 40 total hours of rides and clinicals with maybe 5-10 pt contacts? getting a job is where i feel all the learning happens and for such a basic level of care I think "simulated patients" in the class room were good enough for EMT's. After all there are only so many ways to put on a Nasal cannula, do a head to toe assessment and sling an arm

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Want2BAFF.;1302492]Yup, figured you were talking about the ERGO. I think I have CFFA's website memorized by now. I did know that you were placed into the class by how you "ranked" but I guess I didnt put 2 and 2 together thinking that I may be placed on a waiting list. Hopefully I do well on both. I thought I read that I didn't have to take the ERGO test because I had a 4-yr degree, bu

http://www.fireacademy.org/PDF_Files...ed_10-3-11.pdf

Read it carefully... What you don't have to take is the TABE test.. That is not part of the entrance process...

Forum Member

[QUOTE=JMCFF;1302522]
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Yup, figured you were talking about the ERGO. I think I have CFFA's website memorized by now. I did know that you were placed into the class by how you "ranked" but I guess I didnt put 2 and 2 together thinking that I may be placed on a waiting list. Hopefully I do well on both. I thought I read that I didn't have to take the ERGO test because I had a 4-yr degree, bu

http://www.fireacademy.org/PDF_Files...ed_10-3-11.pdf

Read it carefully... What you don't have to take is the TABE test.. That is not part of the entrance process...

Yeah, that's correct. I went back to the website immediately after posting. I knew there was something I didnt have to take; you'd think after having the website practically memorized I would remember :/

Thread Information