Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2011 AFG Peer Review

Next week will be PR.

Just seven short years until we see some 1199a's!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

I'm willing to bet that things will be mostly done by this time next year. Being an election year and all, I would be willing to bet that there will be whatever good news passed along that they can get out.

Forum Member

Finger Crossed, since it is the biggest grant we had ever applied for in the AFG 2.6M

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Next week will be PR.
    I'm confused Onebugle, are the computer cuts all completed.
    Thanks,
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    I'm confused Onebugle, are the computer cuts all completed.
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Correct, the computer scoring has been completed. Those that made it past the computer scoring (about 5,000) are now going to PR.

Forum Member

Correct, the computer scoring has been completed. Those that made it past the computer scoring (about 5,000) are now going to PR.
    Thanks Onebugle, any idea when the computer "dearJohns" are going out?
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Onebugle, any idea when the computer "dearJohns" are going out?
    Ed
    DJ's will not go out until after a few rounds of awards have been made. Most likely not until after the first of the year.

Forum Member

DJ's will not go out until after a few rounds of awards have been made. Most likely not until after the first of the year.
    Thanks Onebugle for the update. Not the best way to reduce our stress but it's their ball and their game albiet it is our money.
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I dont get it

This has always bothered me, why hold back the computer DJ's. If the computer DJ's are done why not send them out? At least the people who are not likley to get awarded would know and could start preparing for next year.
    Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwtetreault View Post
    This has always bothered me, why hold back the computer DJ's. If the computer DJ's are done why not send them out? At least the people who are not likley to get awarded would know and could start preparing for next year.
    Mark
    One of the many "I don't get it" ideas in this program. Why increase the number of vehicles available to submitting depts. when money is tight and others go wanting.
    Ed

Forum Member

WOW, only 5000 going to peer review out of how many submitted, 15,000 ?? Is this about the norm ??

Forum Member

Nope, in past years the norm was around 11-12,000 reviewed for the 4-5000 awarded. The major increase in regionals coupled with the new format that really REALLY tripped up a lot of people that filled out applications incorrectly caused fewer apps to go to Peer than ever before. It doesn't appear that it will generally change what's awarded since PPE and SCBA were regional projects again and a lot of those went in, increasing the per app request amount which serves to decrease the reviewed app count.

Lots of smaller apps went down quick by the computer, especially for low run count apps, and like most elephants it's taking a while to make some movements to improve but based on some conversations I've had with various folks in steering positions a lot of the recommendations being made will yield the proper results.

Forum Member

One thought may be to divide the grant in three, city, suburban, and rural. That way each dept. would compete only within their sector. Seems less like David / Goliath.
    Ed

Forum Member

One thought may be to divide the grant in three, city, suburban, and rural. That way each dept. would compete only within their sector. Seems less like David / Goliath.
    Ed
    I like that idea, but we all know who'd get the biggest slice of the pie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Nope, in past years the norm was around 11-12,000 reviewed for the 4-5000 awarded. The major increase in regionals coupled with the new format that really REALLY tripped up a lot of people that filled out applications incorrectly caused fewer apps to go to Peer than ever before. It doesn't appear that it will generally change what's awarded since PPE and SCBA were regional projects again and a lot of those went in, increasing the per app request amount which serves to decrease the reviewed app count.

Lots of smaller apps went down quick by the computer, especially for low run count apps, and like most elephants it's taking a while to make some movements to improve but based on some conversations I've had with various folks in steering positions a lot of the recommendations being made will yield the proper results.
    Would a run volume of 800-900 a year (fire and EMS) be considered "low run count?" We had 20 pre-2002 edition of NFPA 1981 SCBAs that we were looking to replace, so I'd think we were in the highest category of need.

Forum Member

There are minimums set for each classification but part of the issue is cost-benefit for the same $$ amount requests. That and one of the things is that we can't mark equipment as old as some people have it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Station 49 View Post
    Would a run volume of 800-900 a year (fire and EMS) be considered "low run count?" We had 20 pre-2002 edition of NFPA 1981 SCBAs that we were looking to replace, so I'd think we were in the highest category of need.
    More like less than 30.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    There are minimums set for each classification but part of the issue is cost-benefit for the same $$ amount requests. That and one of the things is that we can't mark equipment as old as some people have it.
    Cost/ benefit is the kiss of death for most rural dept. A tanker or engine will cost about the same for both depts. rural or suburban, yet the c/b will almost always be better for the higher populated suburban depts.
    Ed

Forum Member

based on the information being posted here, strange numbers indeed. On the other hand, does it means we will have an award sooner than expected?

Thread Information