Forum Member

Default Level 1/Level 2 staging in ICS or NIMS

Whats up...

We had a discussion on shift today regarding Level 1 and Level 2 staging. We're good with how our local jurisdiction applies them, but we're wondering if these specific terms have any root in ICS or NIMS? I'm pretty sure they do, but I can't find anything aside from anecdotal postings that say this is so. Can anyone give a link or NIMS class that shows this in print?

Thanks; be safe...
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

I've not heard of anything of that nature, not in regards to classifications of levels. The only thing that comes to mind is staging officers. Clarifying and being specific of areas (i.e. level 1 and 2) is an example of "plain language" that NIMS pushes for. No where in NIMS does it breakdown staging areas,it only uses the term "staging area". Staging area levels is more of a tactical concept...

Hope this helps or I haven't totally blown what you were even asking, lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaFAO View Post
    Whats up...

We had a discussion on shift today regarding Level 1 and Level 2 staging. We're good with how our local jurisdiction applies them, but we're wondering if these specific terms have any root in ICS or NIMS? I'm pretty sure they do, but I can't find anything aside from anecdotal postings that say this is so. Can anyone give a link or NIMS class that shows this in print?

Thanks; be safe...
    http://www.fema.gov/emergency/nims/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I've been there. There are (26) primary menu options, followed by about 10 subsections each. Any general idea on where I could specifically look?
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

The short answer is that NIMS doesn't really have a "level 1" or "level 2" staging; just "Staging" and a "Staging Area Manager" for each location assigned as staff under the Operations Section Chief. Any departure from the basic NIMS model just means that you need to be very clear to incoming units about where you want them to report.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The short answer is that NIMS doesn't really have a "level 1" or "level 2" staging; just "Staging" and a "Staging Area Manager" for each location assigned as staff under the Operations Section Chief. Any departure from the basic NIMS model just means that you need to be very clear to incoming units about where you want them to report.
    That's kinda what we were thinking, but wanted to see what the prevailing thought was...Appreciate your taking time to reply...
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Forum Member

Level 1 staging: Staging at incident address, a block away, or otherwise in the immediate area.

Level 2 staging: Staging away from incident, usually at a set location with other apparatus.

We use this still in my jurisdiction only for significant fire calls.

For example on a multiple unit response where an engine is told to go to level 2 staging at X address, "Engine XX to dispatch - Show us level 2 staging"

Then engine XX will be called by command to then go ahead and respond to the scene if they are needed. Essentially level two staging is actually the staging part, where level one staging is pulling up to the scene, waiting in your truck for an assignment.
    Last edited by flashpo1nt; 10-25-2011 at 08:32 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Level 1/2 Staging

I have been taking Command Classes since about 1996. I remember from then that Level 1 and 2 Staging was used when we learned about ICS. So, using the training from ICS in the early 90's I am going to say that it originates from ICS.

The Instructor Manual for Commanding the Initial Response states Level 1/2 Staging so this is a document that you could use as evidence.

There's my .02
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    The Instructor Manual for Commanding the Initial Response states Level 1/2 Staging so this is a document that you could use as evidence.
    Level 1/2 Staging is idiosyncratic to NFA ICS (along with some other uses of ICS adapted specifically to fire service use) and not really a part of ICS as used in NIMS.

Both NFA ICS and NIMS ICS are descended from the same roots and remain very similar but NIMS retains a more broad "all hazards" approach whereas the NFA version and its application was distinctly influenced by the (structural) fire service.

FWIW, I think that the most significant part of my advanced NIMS ICS training has consisted of un-learning the peculiarities of NFA ICS.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information