Forum Member

Default Asheville NC pay

Anyone know what Asheville FD pays their employees (FF/EMT or FF/Medics) say, 5 years in? Starting pay is like $28k but I'm trying to see what pay is 5yrs, 10 yrs after working for the department.

Forum Member

Default Anyone?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm asking for two reasons, one of them being another guy (who's a FF elsewhere) and may move to the Asheville area, but is afraid of a BIG paycut.

Forum Member

Brother, starting out in NC, it WILL be a big pay cut. Our pay is not set by union contracts.

I'll give you an example; I've been on the job with my department since March 2000, and I started out at like $24,000. My pay now varies between $50,000 and $60,000 depending on OT. This is at the rank of firefighter/assistant driver. But, I own a home and my taxes are under $1,000 year.

My next step is Driver, then on to Captain in a few years (hopefully). The Driver rank nets a 2.5% raise, and Captain 10%. I know guys that are Captains and are retiring making in the mid $70's.

The key with NC is to get in YOUNG! I started at 21, and using my sick time towards my retirement time, I can go out around 49 1/2. Then, hopefully land a sweet consulting gig somewhere and make double! I just pray to make it to Captain rank so my pension is decent.

Forum Member

Default thx

Thx RDU! I appreciate it. And this is in the Raliegh area I can assume (by your name on this forum)?

My comparison is a FL vs NC one. My brother in law makes about $75k already as a FF/Medic in S FL. He's still in his early 30's. He started out at like $46k with the dept he's with now.

NC also has a ton of volunteers- I know a few that have been for a few yrs. Sometimes I wonder, are they doing this for fun or are they trying to get a paid position? It seems very popular to be a volunteer in NC and I just wonder how much more competitive that makes it for guys who want to make a career out of it. Sometimes I wonder if they volunteer for a few yrs because they think it's cool and you get to wear a FF teeshirt, or if they really are wanting a paid position.
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 10-21-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Forum Member

Asheville is in Western part of state....the mountains to be exact. I've got a close friend with Miami-Dade, who said he'd love to come back to our area but every time he sees his paycheck he can't imagine it. He's a FF/Medic too.....

Forum Member

Default right on

right on, man. thanks for the reply. so the figure you gave me, is that for your area or is tht for the Asheville area? Asheville is a tough place due to the pay and the higher cost of living. i guess a lot of FF's in Asheville area have two jobs due to the low pay.

PS- Miam/Dade I'm not a fan of. I was born in FL and most of us do not consider Miami as part of the state, lol. But I hear they have an excellent FD and I bet their guys and gals are top notch!

Forum Member

Salaries are pretty consistent across the state, plus or minus a few thousand here and there.

Just about every fireman I know has a side gig, don't they!?!?!?! Heck, I have three or four!!! We have guys working a trade on the side, some work at volunteer departments as part-timers, stock guys at big box stores, even a few who drive those temporary storage containers around!!

If the dude's married, hopefully his wife is a nurse because they make bank. If not, tell him to find a chick if he comes up here and make sure she's a nurse!! Hahaha....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    Salaries are pretty consistent across the state, plus or minus a few thousand here and there.

Just about every fireman I know has a side gig, don't they!?!?!?! Heck, I have three or four!!! We have guys working a trade on the side, some work at volunteer departments as part-timers, stock guys at big box stores, even a few who drive those temporary storage containers around!!

If the dude's married, hopefully his wife is a nurse because they make bank. If not, tell him to find a chick if he comes up here and make sure she's a nurse!! Hahaha....
    LOL!

So salaries are pretty much within $5k or so wherever you are in NC, whether it be Charlotte/Raleigh or a small town like Asheville? Let me ask you this, does a FF/Medic get paid more than a FF/EMT?
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 11-17-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Forum Member

I'm comparing your larger departments. Small towns may start out a little higher, but there's compression at the higher levels.

My salary right now as a FF on the back (and as a fill in driver), is equal to some Captains at smaller departments.

Terrible example to use, but, a Captain in Lumberton recently was arrested for being a sick idiot. Lumberton is a small town, and as a Captain he was making $44,000 per the news.

I'm not sure about the whole EMT vs Medic pay question. There are very few departments in NC that I know of that are Medic level.

Tell him to check out Durham, as I know they run Intermediates on some rigs. I, for one, am happy being an EMT and have no desire to go any higher.

Charlotte, by the way, has their own pension system and it is awesome....25 years and like 80%. The rest is in the state fund, 30 years and like 55%. That's why I say GET IN EARLY and buy back any time you can (military)!

Forum Member

Why is he set on Asheville?

Forum Member

Default thx

Well, I currently live in Asheville and he has talked about moving up here, but he said no way could he take a big paycut. So i've been hoping that the pay wasnt that much less, but it is.

Charlotte's retirement system sounds awesome. Sounds simsilar to the one he's got. I think he's got 90% after 30 yrs, 75% after 25, and 60% after 20. So if' he's making $100k when he's near retirement age, which most FF/Medics in his dept do, he'll have a nice retirement.

Forum Member

And from what I've gathered, and I'm not sure if this is completely accurate. But Asheville FF's start out at $28k and top out at around $45k. They also get 55% of base pay at retirement after 25 yrs.

MembersZone Subscriber

The pay in Asheville in five years considering you become a Senior Firefighter will be around 35k. Topping out at 45 would take you mos of your career. That figure is the top pay for the position. The City of Asheville hasn't given raises for three years now, so the step increases to get there people haven't got. There is no incentive for paramedic. They do not run ALS. And retirement in NC other than Charlotte is 30 years for the 55ish percent.

Forum Member

Default Greenville SC

Greenville SC, which is about an hr from Asheville... is a great city too.
    Last edited by Want2BAFF.; 11-17-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Forum Member

Default And...

And... anyone know if Asheville pays a little more if you hold a Bachelor's degree?

Forum Member

Good morning gang!

Wanted to bump this older thread, as it is right up my alley - didn't want to start a duplicate.

The wife-to-be and I are heading to Asheville. I'm wrapping up my EMT training/cert this spring - I've been trapped behind a desk until now. Cut trails with the Forest Service in the low mountains out here, and I'm hoping to land a seasonal position for several months to get some fire experience here before we move. Need to save up a little more money and say our goodbyes before relocating.

Here's our worry. I would love to be the sole breadwinner for our little family unit, at least for a span of 6-7 years while the wife stays home with the young kid(s) we want to have. I've done a lot of reading online, and plan to speak with several guys (if they've got a moment to advise) currently working/recently retired in the Asheville area about pay/advancement. I think we may be out of luck, given the starting rate for firefighters in that region...and this is assuming I can even land a job.

Can anyone speak to the current atmosphere over there? Are they hiring a block anytime soon? What can a totally green EMT that gets picked up hope to make in the first few years? I know they recently lifted the freeze on hiring here, so it would be a lot easier to find work...trouble is my family is all back east, and we miss them.

Appreciate any advice or expertise you guys can share. Have a good one.

Thread Information