Forum Member

Question Is the position right for me.

I currently work for a midsized (8 stations, 250 firefighters) dept as a Fire Fighter/ Driver. There is room and opportunity to grow in the future. I have an opportunity to apply for a smaller volunteer dept as a Assistant Chief of operations. The position is paid. The dept has 2 stations and around 40-50 volunteers. They are the only fire service in the area and are funded through the local municipality. Any ideal on how this would affect future advancement. At another department?

Forum Member

looks good if you are trying to move up in rank, but remember normaly most promote from with in

so you need to think ok what deparment might I go to with either the same rank or higher, if there is one

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    looks good if you are trying to move up in rank, but remember normaly most promote from with in

so you need to think ok what deparment might I go to with either the same rank or higher, if there is one
    Well it would be a stepping stone to a large deptartment as an asstant cheif or into a cheif's slot

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aboagrius View Post
    I currently work for a midsized (8 stations, 250 firefighters) dept as a Fire Fighter/ Driver. There is room and opportunity to grow in the future. I have an opportunity to apply for a smaller volunteer dept as a Assistant Chief of operations. The position is paid. The dept has 2 stations and around 40-50 volunteers. They are the only fire service in the area and are funded through the local municipality. Any ideal on how this would affect future advancement. At another department?
    Do you have the experience and education requirements that that FD is seeking in that position??

Can you freeze any retirement benifits you now have or transferred them to new FD?

How about other benifits, health and vacation, sick leave earned?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Smile

I believe that I have the experience necessary for the position. Honestly, if I did not I would never consider applying. I am a firm believer in doing what you are capable of and I would never accept a position that would cause other to be put in danger by my lack of knowledge or experience.

As far as the benefits, I would be moving to another state and that would negate my current benefits. I would however be able take all my retirement that I have accrued with me or I could leave it in the current system. I would also be paid out for all vacation, holiday, and sick time that I have accrued.

I guess my real concern is moving to a small mixed department with only senior staff (Chief and 3 *** Chiefs) as paid might hurt my chances of a future promotion into another larger department. This step would be on that would put on a path of moving around department for a few years as a means of advancement until I have enough experience under my belt to ensure a high quality Chiefs position was available. I am concerned that the switch from high call volume paid department to a small department might stagger my career progression. The biggest concern I have is that the position is in another state, where I do not know the Fire Dept. culture and how such departments are viewed. But the job is in a place (Alaska) that I have dreamed of living my whole life.

Forum Member

Well you might get there and not want to leave

My question again is besides a fire chiefs job do you think there are that many departments that hire out side the dept for higher positions??

How many depts are there you can go to???

Forum Member

What does your wife think of this idea? Where are you moving from??? Alaska is an expensive place to live.

Volly departments are their own kingdoms and fiefdoms. Highly political. Coming from the outside you could be eaten alive with no where to return.

Going from a driver to AC is a huge leap with no officer experience. This is a big gamble for chasing a dream.

As far as moving to another agency you would probably need a lot more horsepower to convince them to take you from the outside like some have already mentioned.

Hey, take the test for the experience and if offered the job in writing then make the decision.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 10-20-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Two years ago I left a large metro department after 5 years as a Battalion Chief and took a promotion on a smaller department as a Division Chief. The position pays much more and the benefit package made it a very easy decision. As I near retirement (3 years to go) and recently finished a Masters degree, I am very pleased with my decision.
    I do miss some of my old friends and I certainly miss the "big city" calls and issues. I have also made an entirely different group of friends and am involved at a much higher level of decision making. Instead of waiting to decide what the command staff wants us to implement, I am part of the decision making process that gets to determine the direction of the department.
    Good luck with your decision!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information