Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thought I would ask Big Widge how the XyBoard tablets are working out? I hope well because we start mounting our XyBoard tablets in all apparatus (heavy and light duty) next week as well as hoping to be functioing with Streetwise CADLink by middle to end of July. We are going with the locking mounts by RAM and hoping they integrate and work well.

Thanks and be safe.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    Thought I would ask Big Widge how the XyBoard tablets are working out? I hope well because we start mounting our XyBoard tablets in all apparatus (heavy and light duty) next week as well as hoping to be functioing with Streetwise CADLink by middle to end of July. We are going with the locking mounts by RAM and hoping they integrate and work well.

Thanks and be safe.
    Very curious about this as well. We were pretty much sold on Streetwise, but then found out they were kind of a one way street. Meaning I don't believe they can communicate back to a 911CAD, ie. Enroute, On-Scene etc. Thanks!

Forum Member

Never realized anyone had replied to this post. Anyway, it has been just under a year where we had our tablets and I wanted to give everyone an update on how everything is going.

Good:
    -Navigation is good when it works, members like the speech to text feature.
    -Decent battery life on tablets, plenty of battery for our needs
    -Tablets work very good and are reliable (Only problem stated below, which is user error not tablet problems)
    Bad:
    -On the note of navigation, from time to time the tablets have trouble locking onto GPS when leaving the station, they cant get a lock from inside the station. (It seems the tablets also have trouble trading off from wifi to 4G easily, so we have disabled the wifi since its easier for it to lock onto cell signal this way)
    -Still no software, however we are on the very edge of ordering Streetwise and going that route, very pleased with what they have to offer.
    -We have been having some issues with the drivers of the ambulance hitting the chargers and knocking them out of the cigarette outlet, resulting in the tablets not charing, however we fixed that by screwing a plate on that secures the charger to the dash so it cant be removed.
    -On the same note, members seem to be quick to pull the tablet out of the 'padholdr' mount, which in time kinks the cable since they don't take the time to unplug it first. Since the cable kinks we often get in the truck for a call to find the tablet not charging or even dead. We fixed this by locking the tablets to the mounts with a latch (Next mounts will be the locking padholdr mount). Another option we have considered is getting some stainless steel braiding to cover the micro usb cable with.

So as of right now the tablets good WHEN they work right, but most of the problems we have faced will been fixed and once we get Streetwise I think our members will be more than pleased with the tablets and the streetwise software.

If anybody has any questions whatsoever, or even some pointers or suggestions, feel free to email me at jakewidgeon_sdhs@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Reviving an old thread, but my volunteer department (around 400 fire runs a year) is looking into doing tablets in our truck now. I was wondering how these are holding up for you guys?

Forum Member

Bedford and Amherst Fire Department in the Southeast New Hampshire are replacing MDT with iPhone and iPad to improve mobility, productivity and efficiency. The app they are using is called PublicEye developed by Zco that provides advance features that transform smartphone and tablet into powerful public safety tool such as accessing to 911 calls detail, fire hydrants location, GPS Unit location, building pre-plan, incident report and surveillance camera system. The best thing about this is that Firefighters can get these information anywhere anytime from their mobile devices unlike the ruggedized laptop mount inside the car.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_PublicEye View Post
    Bedford and Amherst Fire Department in the Southeast New Hampshire are replacing MDT with iPhone and iPad to improve mobility, productivity and efficiency. The app they are using is called PublicEye developed by Zco that provides advance features that transform smartphone and tablet into powerful public safety tool such as accessing to 911 calls detail, fire hydrants location, GPS Unit location, building pre-plan, incident report and surveillance camera system. The best thing about this is that Firefighters can get these information anywhere anytime from their mobile devices unlike the ruggedized laptop mount inside the car.

How does one get a job surfing and posting ads??

How much does it pay?

Thread Information