Forum Member

Default embarrassing situation, what to do?

I recently applied for a part time ff position at a dept that neighbours the one I intern at. I took the written and had an interview. In the interview I told them I would be graduating this fall with my associates in fire science. I also put in my resume (fall graduation).

So the kicker is the school now tells me that I need one additional general education credit for an applied science degree. The class would either be a math class or science such as earth science or astronomy. Aka I won't be elligable for graduation till winter.

So I really dropped the ball on this one and counted my eggs before they hatched. I spoke to the dept yesterday before I found out and they said they'll be sending out the hiring list soon and that I am on it. They didnt say where just I was on it. I feel i need to tell the dept but im not sure how or when. I feel like now I am coming across as lying to them big time.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Sorry to hear about your situation. Since you don't want to be a liar, I would bring it to the attention of someone involved in hiring. Personnally, I would not consider you a liar, stuff like this happens. You are only one credit away, I can't really see why they would hold this against you.

Forum Member

If it is not a requirement for the job, do not worry about it, but tell them soon

Forum Member

It's not a requirenent for the job but you get a few extra points for it. Om the application I put 'no' for the degree but then 2 months later for my interview I said fall grad. I plan on calling them monday but I'm not sure if I just tell the secretary or ask to speak to a captain.

I just want to cover my bases and err on the side of caution.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fieronfire View Post
    I recently applied for a part time ff position at a dept that neighbours the one I intern at. I took the written and had an interview. In the interview I told them I would be graduating this fall with my associates in fire science. I also put in my resume (fall graduation).

So the kicker is the school now tells me that I need one additional general education credit for an applied science degree. The class would either be a math class or science such as earth science or astronomy. Aka I won't be elligable for graduation till winter.

So I really dropped the ball on this one and counted my eggs before they hatched. I spoke to the dept yesterday before I found out and they said they'll be sending out the hiring list soon and that I am on it. They didnt say where just I was on it. I feel i need to tell the dept but im not sure how or when. I feel like now I am coming across as lying to them big time.

Thanks.

Maybe you should take English and Spelling!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Maybe you should take English and Spelling!
    What are those

Forum Member

But do you need the degree by the time you apply, for the points?????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    But do you need the degree by the time you apply, for the points?????
    Yes I do believe in order to get points you have to have it at time of application.

Forum Member

Well if you already applied and and the application period closed before you even were going to finish the degree, sounds like a mute issue

Thread Information