Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default KBR LOGCAP IV Salaries and Benefits

Has anyone heard any word on the Salary and Benefits for the new LOGCAP IV contract in Iraq? There are all kinds of numbers and conditions floating around out there, just wondering if anyone has heard anything definitive. There are many Sallyport employees who remained in country thinking they would be offered a job. Now it appears there are the same old smoke and mirrors routines going on, keeping people in the dark until the last minuet. I wonder why they would do that?

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACofthedesert View Post
    Has anyone heard any word on the Salary and Benefits for the new LOGCAP IV contract in Iraq? There are all kinds of numbers and conditions floating around out there, just wondering if anyone has heard anything definitive. There are many Sallyport employees who remained in country thinking they would be offered a job. Now it appears there are the same old smoke and mirrors routines going on, keeping people in the dark until the last minuet. I wonder why they would do that?
    Last I heard the war was over and everyone was coming home--
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got this from one of my boys still in country. They did paperwork/offer letters/etc today.

Overall it looks good. VERY good.

It's a bit involved, but not all that difficult to sort out. AC, in spite of our differences on here, you seem like a smart enough guy to be able to figure it all out.

Okay, here goes.

Base pay for a firefighter is $3083 per month. (He had the crew chief numbers too since he is one, but gave me FF so folks can work from that, since it's the majority of people.) That's based on a 40 hour work week. So, to get an hourly, you take the 3083 x 12 = 36996 BASE annual. To get a weekly base, divide by 52 and get $711.46 per week. Divide by 40 and you get a $17.78 per hour BASE hourly rate. (Yes, I'm breaking it down Barney style, but hey, it saves you doing the math.)

The only uplift is 5% foreign service. I presume (they weren't told) that it's on the first 40 hours like it has been.

Okay, everything over 8 hours, up until 9 p.m., is time and a half. That's $26.67 per hour.

After 9 p.m. and up until 6 a.m., it's double time. $35.56 per hour.

KBR's current vision is 48/24 shifts, averaging 112 hours per week. Some sites are overstaffed right now for the number of seats they have allotted (no word on if seat numbers are going up), so those folks won't be hitting 112 hours. Some sites are undermanned so people will be getting more than 112 to fill all the seats every day. Odds are that at some point KBR will move people around to balance things out. I guess for starting out, they sent (or tried/planned) to send the same number to all sites.

I'm not going to do all the math for all the 1 1/2 and double time scenarios, but with an average of 72 hours of one or the other weekly, you can see it adds up quickly.

Bottom line is, it looks good. Very good.

As for insurance, there's major medical at $160 (roughly, he didn't write the exact number down), which is mandatory even if you have other insurance. It includes a life insurance policy but he didn't give me the amount. No vision or dental, but both are available for an additional cost.

R&R's are two 16 day during the year, both paid at 80 hours, and a third/EOC 21 day R&R also paid at 80 hours base.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Don't get your hopes up Sally port guys

President Obama said in next 2 months we are pulling out of Iraq.... This means all the bases go away....

Expect the fire jobs to be going with them....

KBR may have handed out a new contract, but that won't happen. Us government fought hard to keep the troops there, but Iraq said no..

Do not expect any fire Depts to be left in Iraq.... There is only 160 soldiers remaining to be in the embassy.....

So really doesn't matter what the pay is....there is no more Iraq fire jobs
    Last edited by thc030; 10-23-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks for your post, does this mean we have buried the Hallignan...lol. I have heard of something similar but also heard that they are limiting FFs to 8hr shifts in the Green Zone in order to remain within the confines of the local labor laws they are subject to. It appears that other KBR employees are taking a fairly sizable "hit" in salary moving from LOGCAP III to IV. Logically one could assume (and many are) that FFs would be subject to the same sort of reduction. I REALLY hope that what your friends sign on paper turns out to be reality, and that they get all the hours they can acquire. I am sure, with you being through this wringer before, you are aware that what is put on paper and what ends up being reality can be two completely different animals. When Sallyport took over for WSI they used similar "math" and very few people made anywhere near what they had proposed.

That aside I hope this works out as you have illustrated, as the thought of no APO and being guarded and transported by Contractors new to the country can not be very comforting. I hope that DoS at least has the god sense to hire former US Military pilots to fly the helos the don't have yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tikcuf9905 View Post
    I just got this from one of my boys still in country. They did paperwork/offer letters/etc today.

Overall it looks good. VERY good.

It's a bit involved, but not all that difficult to sort out. AC, in spite of our differences on here, you seem like a smart enough guy to be able to figure it all out.

Okay, here goes.

Base pay for a firefighter is $3083 per month. (He had the crew chief numbers too since he is one, but gave me FF so folks can work from that, since it's the majority of people.) That's based on a 40 hour work week. So, to get an hourly, you take the 3083 x 12 = 36996 BASE annual. To get a weekly base, divide by 52 and get $711.46 per week. Divide by 40 and you get a $17.78 per hour BASE hourly rate. (Yes, I'm breaking it down Barney style, but hey, it saves you doing the math.)

The only uplift is 5% foreign service. I presume (they weren't told) that it's on the first 40 hours like it has been.

Okay, everything over 8 hours, up until 9 p.m., is time and a half. That's $26.67 per hour.

After 9 p.m. and up until 6 a.m., it's double time. $35.56 per hour.

KBR's current vision is 48/24 shifts, averaging 112 hours per week. Some sites are overstaffed right now for the number of seats they have allotted (no word on if seat numbers are going up), so those folks won't be hitting 112 hours. Some sites are undermanned so people will be getting more than 112 to fill all the seats every day. Odds are that at some point KBR will move people around to balance things out. I guess for starting out, they sent (or tried/planned) to send the same number to all sites.

I'm not going to do all the math for all the 1 1/2 and double time scenarios, but with an average of 72 hours of one or the other weekly, you can see it adds up quickly.

Bottom line is, it looks good. Very good.

As for insurance, there's major medical at $160 (roughly, he didn't write the exact number down), which is mandatory even if you have other insurance. It includes a life insurance policy but he didn't give me the amount. No vision or dental, but both are available for an additional cost.

R&R's are two 16 day during the year, both paid at 80 hours, and a third/EOC 21 day R&R also paid at 80 hours base.

Forum Member

Negative....there will be 7-12 enduring "bases" that are under the auspices of the Department of State. We have a MAJOR Diplomatic mission continuing in Iraq with thousands of DoS personnel on the ground all across the country. The DoS is mandated to provide both Fire Prevention and Fire Protective services to these personnel. KBR has won the task order for BLS for LOGCAP IV and this is likely to be a rather long term commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by thc030 View Post
    President Obama said in next 2 months we are pulling out of Iraq.... This means all the bases go away....

Expect the fire jobs to be going with them....

If there is any fire dept left, it won't need 300 people.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Everyone has an opinion but the future will tell

You may not agree but.......

This just happened Friday...all the plans the us wanted to happen got slammed in the face when Iraq said no....

Obama said 160 troops remaining..no more, and all at the embassy...

So how are 7-12 enduring camps going to be there?

I hope that the fire jobs will remain... But be real here, what happened Friday was not the outcome the us expected or wanted to happen.

The full pullout means just that...we are leaving and the logcap iv For Iraq is leaving with them

We can speculate about this all we want, we will all know in 2 months time how many remain and how many fire jobs are left if any.

No one knows for sure right now, since this just happened Friday, and I am sure the government is going to quickly put into action the contingency plan they didn't want to happen, full pull out of Iraq
    And it will not include having 7-12 enduring bases staffed by civilians
    Last edited by thc030; 10-23-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Forum Member

Again...Negative. I am %100 sure of this, no speculation involved. I try to be very careful in stating what I am "speculating" about on here and what I know as fact. You can be sure that this is fact. You are correct in stating that all but 160 Army and 170 Marine Corps personnel will be the only DoD personnel remaining. However the Department of State will be taking over the enduring "sites" I have mentioned, in fact they are doing it as we speak. These sites will be guarded by a 5000 strong private contracted security force and will be provided with all other Basic Life Support duties by KBR. Once again I repeat this is fact not conjecture. If you do not believe me please feel free to Google it as it has been all over the news for the past year. I try to use this forum in a responsible and appropriate manner. I do this so folks who may be interested in pursuing employment over here has as much "valid" information as possible.

This just happened Friday...all the plans the us wanted to happen got slammed in the face when Iraq said no....

I hope that the fire jobs will remain... But be real here, what happened Friday was not the outcome the us expected or wanted to happen.

The full pullout means just that...we are leaving and the logcap iv For Iraq is leaving with them

We can speculate about this all we want, we will all know in 2 months time how many remain and how many fire jobs are left if any.

No one knows for sure right now, since this just happened Friday, and I am sure the government is going to quickly put into action the contingency plan they didn't want to happen, full pull out of Iraq

Forum Member

FYI here is an example of what I am talking about:

By Kirit Radia
    Oct 21, 2011 2:11pm
    A look at US Presence in Iraq After Troops Leave
    Email 3 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

When the US military withdraws completely by the end of the year per President Obama’s announcement today, the State Department will take over the mission in 2012. Here’s a snapshot of what the American presence in Iraq will look like once the troops are gone:

EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES

There will be a US embassy in Baghdad which, when it opened in early January 2009, was one of the largest and most expensive ever built. There will be consulates in Basra and Irbil, which both opened in June 2011. There is also a diplomatic presence in Kirkuk that will eventually become a consulate.

The Provincial Reconstruction Teams that operated around the country, often in tandem with the military, have slowly closed as the US consolidated its civilian presence in the embassy and consulates. The last one, in Diyala, closed in September.

STAFFING LEVELS

Roughly 1,700 people will be working under the American mission in Iraq at the various diplomatic posts. About 300 are Iraqi citizens (translators, etc) and a small number of third country nationals, so about 1,400 are Americans.

Those Americans come from various departments and agencies, including the State Department, USAID, Agriculture Department, Treasury Department, Commerce Department, and Department of Homeland Security (not to mention the intelligence agencies).

Officials stress that the size of this civilian footprint is on the same level of other major American missions like in India, China, Mexico, and Egypt. The biggest difference is the number of contractors employed, especially on the security side.

CONTRACTORS, CONTRACTORS, CONTRACTORS

The State Department is expected to have about 5,000 security contractors in Iraq as of January 2012 (they already have about 3,000 in country).

Additionally they will have 4,500 so-called “general life support” contractors, who provide food and medical services, operate the aviation assets, etc.

How does this compare to contractor levels now? It’s actually less.

The Department of Defense currently has about 9,500 security contractors in Iraq and several thousand general life contractors. At its peak in June 2009, DOD had 15,200 security contractors in Iraq.

The State Department expects the number of foreign contractors it hires to decrease over the next 3-5 years as it hires more local Iraqis and the security situation improves.

STATE DEPT’S AIR ASSETS

The State Department has slowly been building an aviation capability in Iraq in anticipation of the US military’s departure. To that end they have procured several dozen helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, owned by the State Department but operated by contractors, who can ferry diplomats and civilians around the country since they can no longer depend on the military for transport.

The air assets are also important because they will provide critical quick response capability in the event of an attack that requires security teams to be sent in or people to be evacuated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a great plan.....but.... You and I were not part of the meeting that happened on Friday.... Any plans the us had for Iraq could be changed, and may not be what the us wanted....

Will the state department be allowed to keep 5000 plus people in Iraq....that was not said in the news....it may still happen it may not...it isn't the us governments decision is it? It's the Iraqi governments decision, and what they will allow us to keep. Obama didn't mention anything about this plan or if it is still going to happen or not...what I am saying do not get your hopes up, we will know more in the next 2 months.

Until Friday the Obama administration was still saying we were going to stay...that isn't happening now...so the state departments plans may also get effected...time will tell

FYI here is an example of what I am talking about:

By Kirit Radia
    Oct 21, 2011 2:11pm
    A look at US Presence in Iraq After Troops Leave
    Email 3 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

When the US military withdraws completely by the end of the year per President Obama’s announcement today, the State Department will take over the mission in 2012. Here’s a snapshot of what the American presence in Iraq will look like once the troops are gone:

EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES

There will be a US embassy in Baghdad which, when it opened in early January 2009, was one of the largest and most expensive ever built. There will be consulates in Basra and Irbil, which both opened in June 2011. There is also a diplomatic presence in Kirkuk that will eventually become a consulate.

The Provincial Reconstruction Teams that operated around the country, often in tandem with the military, have slowly closed as the US consolidated its civilian presence in the embassy and consulates. The last one, in Diyala, closed in September.

STAFFING LEVELS

Roughly 1,700 people will be working under the American mission in Iraq at the various diplomatic posts. About 300 are Iraqi citizens (translators, etc) and a small number of third country nationals, so about 1,400 are Americans.

Those Americans come from various departments and agencies, including the State Department, USAID, Agriculture Department, Treasury Department, Commerce Department, and Department of Homeland Security (not to mention the intelligence agencies).

Officials stress that the size of this civilian footprint is on the same level of other major American missions like in India, China, Mexico, and Egypt. The biggest difference is the number of contractors employed, especially on the security side.

CONTRACTORS, CONTRACTORS, CONTRACTORS

The State Department is expected to have about 5,000 security contractors in Iraq as of January 2012 (they already have about 3,000 in country).

Additionally they will have 4,500 so-called “general life support” contractors, who provide food and medical services, operate the aviation assets, etc.

How does this compare to contractor levels now? It’s actually less.

The Department of Defense currently has about 9,500 security contractors in Iraq and several thousand general life contractors. At its peak in June 2009, DOD had 15,200 security contractors in Iraq.

The State Department expects the number of foreign contractors it hires to decrease over the next 3-5 years as it hires more local Iraqis and the security situation improves.

STATE DEPT’S AIR ASSETS

The State Department has slowly been building an aviation capability in Iraq in anticipation of the US military’s departure. To that end they have procured several dozen helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, owned by the State Department but operated by contractors, who can ferry diplomats and civilians around the country since they can no longer depend on the military for transport.

The air assets are also important because they will provide critical quick response capability in the event of an attack that requires security teams to be sent in or people to be evacuated.

Forum Member

Did you bother to read my last post? I am here watching this happen before my eyes. There are 3000+ private security contractors ON THE GROUND here already. The State Department is pouring in assets and personnel as well as MANY other agencies. The press is putting the number at around 1400 to 1700 Americans, but this is vastly understated. There will eventually be over 3000 US personnel on the ground in Iraq. that number does not include the 5000+ foreign security contractors. This has NOTHING to do with what the President said on Friday. I am well aware of this announcement and we knew about it weeks before he made it. The State Department mission is COMPLETELY independent of the DoD. This is a Diplomatic mission that has been agreed upon and embraced by the Iraq Government. This has been signed and sealed for some time and is now being delivered. Please review the facts as you are mixing apples and oranges...and for that matter who believes anything a politician says anyway. Can you say Guantanamo?

The fact is that we are developing a LONG TERM strategic partnership with Iraq. You did not think we were just going to come in here, spend our blood and treasure....not to mention TRILLIONS of dollars and just walk away did you? Also...remember this...we still have a sizable military presence in Kuwait, and that is pretty much a cab ride away! Iran may meddle, but we still have plenty assets in theater to give them pause.

I really hope this clears things up for you.

Sounds like a great plan.....but.... You and I were not part of the meeting that happened on Friday.... Any plans the us had for Iraq could be changed, and may not be what the us wanted....

Will the state department be allowed to keep 5000 plus people in Iraq....that was not said in the news....it may still happen it may not...it isn't the us governments decision is it? It's the Iraqi governments decision, and what they will allow us to keep. Obama didn't mention anything about this plan or if it is still going to happen or not...what I am saying do not get your hopes up, we will know more in the next 2 months.

Until Friday the Obama administration was still saying we were going to stay...that isn't happening now...so the state departments plans may also get effected...time will tell

Did you bother to read my last post? I am here watching this happen before my eyes.
    Let me tell you a little story about KBR---I was a Chief out there and closed a base in 2007-2008. KBR was of course providing services on the base for US Marines. The Marines decided to give the base back to the Iraqi's because in their words "we're done here". So thye notified KBR and us of their intent to close the base on such and such a date (plenty of advanced notice) and that all assets had to be gone.

Well KBR ignored the whole notice until the last few days before the closure when the Marines had to finally tell them that KBR was on it's own they were leaving. Then there was this giant scramble to get all the property packed and on convoys. Mind you, this was just 30 days after they had just built a 3 million dollar laundry facility on the base.

The base mayor likened it to you breaking up with a girl and the girl pretending not to hear you.

Anyway--the moral is don't count on KBR to admit whether their contract is valid. They are going to work right up to the point of departure. I have seen them stop construction midway through a project to get on a convoy and leave. That is the nature of contract work. I hope you all are following the contractor rules and have 90 days of salary put in the bank.
    Last edited by fallujahff; 10-23-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

You did not think we were just going to come in here, spend our blood and treasure....not to mention TRILLIONS of dollars and just walk away did you?
    Vietnam---?

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

LOL..yea I remember when that happened. Everyone knew the base was closing but the KBR "powers that be" decided to ignore plain English. That is a concern here right now with all of the bases that are closing permanently. In my opinion they are not winding down fast enough, unless they plan on leaving tons of sensitive items (and sensitive personnel...lol) behind. As you well know there are only so many birds with so many seats and time is getting short. Can you say Saigon? I am not placing any undue faith in KBR as we both know what they are all about. The State department however will be here for the long haul...one way on another...and will require Fire Protection. I believe the task order for BLS is for one year but renewable up to ten. So if big red can't cut the mustard another lanyard switch will occur and services will continue. This is a multibillion dollar endeavor and we (the USA) are going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by fallujahff View Post
    Vietnam---?

Forum Member

Just let me add that I love that quote by Wilder...how freaking true is that!

Vietnam---?

I agree with AC. Iraq is set to be no different than any other war we have been in we the USA have troops and assets in every country we have ever been in conflict with.

Just let me add that I love that quote by Wilder...how freaking true is that!

thanks--it is soooo true.....

Stay safe

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Here is the latest!

Below you will find proposed the Management Work Schedule. This schedule will compliment full days off duty (24 hours) while maintaining the proposed hours averaging 112 according to the LCIV contract agreement.

Your schedule will be the same as the Operations shifts, except shift personnel will rotate through 3 duty shifts A.B and C and SFO’s will rotate alternate days off. The schedule provides for a constant argument of hours (16 / 24 / 8) keeping the shift manned by at least 1 SFO 24/7 while the other is off duty.

Please implement this schedule effective 00:01 Sunday October 30, 2011.

Ø SFO 1 will start his first day on new schedule @ 0800.

Ø SFO 2 will be on duty from the day prior and will go off duty at 08:00
    Please let me know if any further clarification is needed. Also the updated Operational Shift Schedules are attached for your convenience.

Welcome to the team!

thanks--it is soooo true.....

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

What confuses me is KBR offered me a job, I went through all the processing I could from home, was waiting on my plane tickets when I got this email:

"I have been given the undesirable task of informing you that due to the transitioning of contracts that is currently underway in Iraq our client is no longer in need of the firefighters that were recently requested for the project and the position you were offered is not required at this time. Therefore, your employment offer is being rescinded and your scheduled processing is cancelled.

Please accept our sincere regrets and apologies for any inconvenience and disappointment this may have created for you. For those of you that are my candidates, please stay in touch with me and let me know if you find employment elsewhere and I will certainly contact you when something opens up again. "

I just wanna know if they got the contract or not, and whether they are going to need to hire more firefighter in the near future or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lasko,

KBR did wind up with the LOGCAP IV contract after the dispute/protest was settled, and they are self-providing this time around rather than subbing it out.

As to rescinding the offer, my best guess is that they were prepared to have to hire a lot of people, anticipating that they may not have enough folks from Sallyport who wanted to stick around. Now they're in the process of transitioning sites (or they may be done, I don't know) and found out they had plenty, so they didn't need you or however many other folks were on hold. The "keep in touch" thing is because they anticipate, I'm sure, people leaving for various reasons and they want to have a list of folks on standby.

Thread Information