Thread: Lessons Learned

Default Lessons Learned

FPW 2011 has come to pass. Any problems with programs or working with the public? Any success stories?

Forum Member

Continuing problem with trying to get smoke alarms in older homes

Default The problem

What problems are you having? Funding, department support, citizens, time?

Forum Member

A little on the support side a alot on the time side

Main problem is getting into homes

We found the best response was cold calling, but limited manpower and time and alot of homes to call on

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Continuing problem with trying to get smoke alarms in older homes
    Work hand-in-hand with your Code Enforcement/Building Officials. One way to combat the problem of SD's in older homes is to enforce the ICC Codes by mandating hard wired/interconnected SD's be installed for when significant construction/alterations is undertaken in homes not equipped. Currently, the way the IRC is written, it mandates that they be installed as a condition of any permit- which IMO (any many of my cohorts) is very unreasonable- to mandate HW/Int SD's just for a hot water heater permit, or a new HVAC system???? Ummmmmm, no. Now, if you gut a house, why yes. By all means, install em!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Open Houses went well on both my career and volunteer side.

This was the first year that my VFD has tried an Open House, and even though it was on a much smaller scale than my combo department's, it was still well receieved and turnout by the membership was good.

Turnout on my combo department's (career gig) wasn't as good, and it hasn't been for the past 2-3 years. We did have a good turnout by the public though unfortunatly, this was the second year in a row we couldn't have any live fire demos, except fort amall fires for the fire extinguisher presentations, due to the extremly dry conditions.

This year we added inflatable bouncies and slides, which were very well recuievedm, though costly, at about $450.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Work hand-in-hand with your Code Enforcement/Building Officials. One way to combat the problem of SD's in older homes is to enforce the ICC Codes by mandating hard wired/interconnected SD's be installed for when significant construction/alterations is undertaken in homes not equipped. Currently, the way the IRC is written, it mandates that they be installed as a condition of any permit- which IMO (any many of my cohorts) is very unreasonable- to mandate HW/Int SD's just for a hot water heater permit, or a new HVAC system???? Ummmmmm, no. Now, if you gut a house, why yes. By all means, install em!
    This is a GREAT approach!! BUT! What happens after the house is built? Here's the key, code and enforcement are invaluable tools when the home is BEING built, but once it is up then what? What do you do 10 years later when the detector is old, or to keep them from taking the batteries down? Can we combat ever home and every disregard for safety? NO!!! But there are lives to be saved by approaching this issue, what have you all done to address this?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Open Houses went well on both my career and volunteer side.

This was the first year that my VFD has tried an Open House, and even though it was on a much smaller scale than my combo department's, it was still well receieved and turnout by the membership was good.

Turnout on my combo department's (career gig) wasn't as good, and it hasn't been for the past 2-3 years. We did have a good turnout by the public though unfortunatly, this was the second year in a row we couldn't have any live fire demos, except fort amall fires for the fire extinguisher presentations, due to the extremly dry conditions.

This year we added inflatable bouncies and slides, which were very well recuievedm, though costly, at about $450.
    One life at a time!! You never know who in the audience needs you message! Always - ALWAYS take every opportunity you have to get the messages out AND to develop that relationship that is needed with your public that may pay dividends for you down the road! ANY event that brings in the public is a success!!! No matter if it is just (1) person or (100)!! Do your best, regroup and plan for a better event next time! NEVER be afraid of failure! Success in prevention is defined in quality - not quantity!!

Thread Information