Thread: What to do next

Forum Member

Default What to do next

I am a 21 year old FF/PM. I currently work for an ambulance as an EMT. I graduate this semester with my EMS degree. I am wondering what should i pursue next? I am between getting my RN license through a bridge program the college offers. In the debate i am also thinking about forgetting RN and getting a Bachelors in Public Safety Management. Should i possibly just take Aerial/Driver Engineer courses or specialty classes. I want to make myself the best candidate for the position and I am stuck in a debate on what to do next? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Forum Member

Do depts in your area want paramedics????

Do you need any fire certs to just apply to a dept??

If the answer. To aboves are no would do th RN

Because you can get the rest later and possibly on the cities dime

RN can be a second or fall back job

Forum Member

The departments all in my area want paramedics. I dont need any additional certs to apply. I just want to make myself that much better of a candidate.

Forum Member

Sorry missed you were paramedic already

Would suggest go for RN first

Forum Member

Thanks fire49 any other suggestions. Im still debating i have time since the semester starts in January

Forum Member

You've got everything you might need to get hired. Consider learning how to take a firefighter interview which is like no other job interview to get hired.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Why are you holding a paramedic license and working as an EMT?
    Your answer is quite simple;
    Before you say there are no paramedic jobs out there.......

Holding a PM license and not using it is a red flag..............your skills are deteriorating EVERY day. Put it to work!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Im trying to get into a hospital were i can use my paramedic license. I work on an ALS transport unit but as the EMT/Driver. The company i work for has enough paramedics and when they upgrade EMT to Paramedics they go down the seniority list. I havent had the chance to get upgraded yet. I run ALS calls daily were i am just as qualified and assist the paramedic with whatever. I just dont have the "title".

Forum Member

While you may be "just as qualified", you are not the paramedic. Are you starting IV's, intubating etc? Paramedicine is not a good spectator sport.

When you get hired as a FF/PM you will be expected to perform these skills. You need to be proficient at them.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

I understand. I am seeking the position but it just hasn't come yet. Thanks for the guidance its greatly appreciated

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    While you may be "just as qualified", you are not the paramedic. Are you starting IV's, intubating etc? Paramedicine is not a good spectator sport.

When you get hired as a FF/PM you will be expected to perform these skills. You need to be proficient at them.

I'll add this to Paul's post, if you are not a paramedic, I sure wouldn't say I was or infer that.

If and when you apply for a job either as a firefighter or paramedic with any known ambulance company, when you put on the application that you are a paramedic, and sign the application saying that all information is true and correct.

You will be checked by that agency with that States EMS Licensing Authority and if you say what you are, it better be on record with them. When I was in the section of my FD, that was part of my job, to check and be sure the applicant was telling the truth on what they had on the application.

If you aren't and they catch it and they will, most likely your application will be tossed.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I understand. I never put that i work as a paramedic when i apply to jobs. I make it clear that i have EMT experience. Unfortunately i still havent been promoted at work. Until that day i dont plan on saying i worked as a paramedic. I will also make it clear when i started working as a paramedic.

Forum Member

Default What to do next

As you said that you have an experience in EMT and you don't need to go for a paramedic then it is a good benefit for you to move forward and apply in a hospitals where your paramedic license can be use. There are many hospitals who require a paramedics. If you want to go further then I must suggest you to go for RN. It is the best way to use your EMT and paramedic experiences in future.

Thread Information