EJR
    Forum Member

Default HRT Issue When Cutting Hi-strength Metals?

Greetings All…

I know that the topic of HRT's and high strength steels has been discussed in various threads on this forum, but I am doing some research and need to reach out to a broad audience for some specific information…

1. Have any of you (or any other person/agency you know) had any first-hand experience in dealing with a vehicle that your hydraulic rescue cutters could not cut or which gave you significant problems while cutting? (I am primarily looking for examples of actual incidents where the inability to cut and/or the need to move to alternate tools/techniques caused any sort of delay in patient extrication…)

2. During your post-incident analysis, was it determined that the cutters in use was too small, old, or weak to cut the new high strength metals?

3. Did your agency discuss purchasing/upgrading cutters but were hampered because of costs, funds, etc. that prevented such a purchase?

4. Lacking a strong(er) cutter, how has your agency “worked around” the high strength steels when performing vehicle rescue and extrication?

If any of you have encountered such an issue, and if you would be able to, could you share it with me by email? Or if you have any other questions or comments on this topic, please post here or contact me direct.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

EJR / ejr@rescuetechs.com
    Last edited by EJR; 10-24-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar...
    Eric J. Rickenbach ("EJR")
    FF/EMT/Instructor
    Rehrersburg (Berks County), PA
    www.rescuetechs.com
    ejr@rescuetechs.com

If there is no patient, it isn't a rescue. If you can't do patient care, you can't be a rescue. You are just a bunch of people with a tool.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJR View Post
    Greetings All…

I know that the topic of HRT's and high strength steels has been discussed in various threads on this forum, but I am doing some research and need to reach out to a broad audience for some specific information…

1. Have any of you (or any other person/agency you know) had any first-hand experience in dealing with a vehicle that your hydraulic rescue cutters could not cut or which gave you significant problems while cutting? (I am primarily looking for examples of actual incidents where the inability to cut and/or the need to move to alternate tools/techniques caused any sort of delay in patient extrication…)

2. During your post-incident analysis, was it determined that the cutters in use was too small, old, or weak to cut the new high strength metals?

3. Did your agency discuss purchasing/upgrading cutters but were hampered because of costs, funds, etc. that prevented such a purchase?

4. Lacking a strong(er) cutter, how has your agency “worked around” the high strength steels when performing vehicle rescue and extrication?

If any of you have encountered such an issue, and if you would be able to, could you share it with me by email? Or if you have any other questions or comments on this topic, please post here or contact me direct.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

EJR / ejr@rescuetechs.com
    Never had an incident where it caused much delay in getting the patient out but YES to questions 2-4. We have NEW tools,and have studied various countermethods for the occasional odd situation wher HRT's may not be the total answer to the problem.Workarounds: Pie cuts,extreme displacements,exotic sawsall blades,just to name a few. See my How to? above for a further brain teaser. T.C.

Forum Member

Hi ERJ

I have had some experiences where our cutters have been unable to cut through some vehicles, ill email you the details.

John

Thread Information