Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to?

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    We have a total of 10 Rams on two trucks, so we wouldnt have an issue. But we have plenty of other options including spreaders, come-alongs, grip-hoists and hi-lift jacks
    We've got 1 plus a Portopower.I originally thought about using the ram on this job but it wasn't needed. Since we got our Hrt's back in the early 80's we've used the ram maybe three times. Isn't room on our Engine to put much more. T.C.

Forum Member

I'm a little late to the party, but with unibody cars, once the body is folded like that all structural strength is gone. Now all you have is creased sheetmetal, much easier to move. Evidently there was no entrapment under the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I'm a little late to the party, but with unibody cars, once the body is folded like that all structural strength is gone. Now all you have is creased sheetmetal, much easier to move. Evidently there was no entrapment under the dash?
    NOT exactly. A great deal of strength still exists until you remove bent material(IE the roof).Once that was done and the bend was relaxed, the dash entanglement became a non issue. Because a Unibody contains all the strength in the basic design of the Platform instead of a full frame, when you bend them you create a whole new chapter in where the "strong"points become. Think of it as altered structure: The inherent strengths of the base material are still there,just the bends are in different places. When we first looked at the best way in,two methods came up. We went with roof removal which wound up being a sound decision. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 11-27-2011 at 04:51 PM.

My original answer was to call the M.E. and order coffee.

Guess you had a survivor?

Wow!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    My original answer was to call the M.E. and order coffee.

Guess you had a survivor?

Wow!
    Regretfully there was no survivor. Passed before we could get there. As close to instantly as you can get. M E had no particular interest, the PD shot a few pictures,we took care of the Extrication. Coffee really wasn't an issue. Like every wreck there was lessons to be had and we took advantage of them. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    NOT exactly. A great deal of strength still exists until you remove bent material(IE the roof).Once that was done and the bend was relaxed, the dash entanglement became a non issue. Because a Unibody contains all the strength in the basic design of the Platform instead of a full frame, when you bend them you create a whole new chapter in where the "strong"points become. Think of it as altered structure: The inherent strengths of the base material are still there,just the bends are in different places. When we first looked at the best way in,two methods came up. We went with roof removal which wound up being a sound decision. T.C.
    I shouldn't have said ALL the strength would be gone, it's not going to be like a pop can. The roof removal seems like the logical choice because it's also going to give you quicker access to the patient for assessment. Thanks for sharing BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I shouldn't have said ALL the strength would be gone, it's not going to be like a pop can. The roof removal seems like the logical choice because it's also going to give you quicker access to the patient for assessment. Thanks for sharing BTW.
    No worries. Not sure of your background,and SOME folks think when a Unibody bends all the strength comes out of it. Nothing could be farther from the truth.If anything we discuss here helps another agency do something quicker,safer or effect a Rescue better, all the better. I've learned a lot here and like to give back when I can. T.C.

Im a little late as well.. Just reading through some of the posts. There's NO way you can really say what you would do with out being there. No Number of pictures would help. Everyone does things differently. But Its obvious the first thing would be to remove the tree and see what you got. Knowing the Pt is DOA then we would take our time and do whats easiest for us. Sad, but true. And also, If we had 1 ram OOS then We've got 4 more to choose from. If you've only got 1 ram then you might think twice about your setup. But then again, it all depends on what kind of Dept your working for....
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Well,I posted this as a brain teaser. We deal with quite a few crashes every year,this one looked like it was going to present a challenge,but it really didn't.BUT,it is highly likely that each of you will be presented with a similar scenerio somewhere in your career. The more we share,the easier the "odd" ones will be to figure out as we may have mulled them over here. Thanks for playing,and as we get cranked up on the 2012 training circuit I'm going to try to put up some pics of winches working in conjunction with tools on scenerios for your consideration. Stay safe in all you do,T.C.

Nice pics of the foliage.

God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information