Thread: How to?

Forum Member

Default How to?

Here's one to think about. How would your agency handle this one? T.C.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber

Cleaning up your backyard?

Any info on passengers: Location, status? How far into the woods?

My initial thought would be to remove the tree and then use Rams to unroll the taco.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

For the purpose of the discussion we will say one driver,vehicle is within 15' of road shoulder and your ram is OOS. I'll supply the complete "how we did it" later. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-26-2011 at 02:12 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the Ram's were OOS, then I'd try to achieve the same thing using chains, winches..etc. Secure the rear of the vehicle and then run a chain/cable over the front/hood to an anchor point with a winch. That should allow the front to unroll and gain access to the passenger compartment footwell, or what's left of it.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

You're working TOO hard, Take another CLOSE look. I'm trying to get a few more players,and I'll tell you how we did it. Was WAY easier than I envisioned. T.C.

Forum Member

Sawzall down the center of the of the crease. You now have 2 parts that can be pulled apart.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Sawzall down the center of the of the crease. You now have 2 parts that can be pulled apart.
    That is what I was thinking....the drive shaft is probably toast anyway, exhaust shouldn't be an issue.....looks like there is probably acces to get through the underside/floor.

Forum Member

THINK people! FRONT WHEEL DRIVE,NO driveshaft. Where IS the Driver? And you want to SAWSALL the place they are most apt to be? FOCUS! And try again. T.C.

Forum Member

ok - I'll throw this out there...driver is long gone! From all the debris in/around the vehicle, it was washed down river during the flooding.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    ok - I'll throw this out there...driver is long gone! From all the debris in/around the vehicle, it was washed down river during the flooding.....
    WRONG again,this wreck is less than 15 mins old at the time of our arrival. T.C.

Forum Member

Couple more for perspective. T.C,

Forum Member

Hi

Remove the tree, relocate some of the roof and access the driver?

Forum Member

Still not a good picture of the driver's side. How badly is that side damaged?

Truckie

If it was a fatal, get the coroner involved early to do their thing. Do what needs to be done done to get the car out and flat-bedded. Haul it down to the impound lot. Extricate with no prying eyes and/or nosey public with advice from coroner.
    Like it or not, its not always possible to not disturb the body in pin jobs such as these. The coroner can document everything, especially if there is any type of investigation.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

we had an accident almost exactly like this last november except the tree was a bigger pine tree. once the tree was removed we noticed the car was completely cut in two halfs just behind the driver seat. the car struck the tree on the front passenger side pushing the front passenger into the back seat. the pt ended up dying, the driver and back seat passenger survived. very lengthy extrication

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnycutter View Post
    Hi

Remove the tree, relocate some of the roof and access the driver?
    That's the ticket JC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    If it was a fatal, get the coroner involved early to do their thing. Do what needs to be done done to get the car out and flat-bedded. Haul it down to the impound lot. Extricate with no prying eyes and/or nosey public with advice from coroner.
    Like it or not, its not always possible to not disturb the body in pin jobs such as these. The coroner can document everything, especially if there is any type of investigation.
    Was a K (Fatal)and we did it on site(Road CLOSED). Total extrication 10 minutes. I'll post a few more tomorrow. we removed the roof and put three guys front and back and it just straightened out. Became a routine operation once the roof was off. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-27-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bburton View Post
    Still not a good picture of the driver's side. How badly is that side damaged?
    Drivers side looks pretty much like the passengers side. T.c.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-27-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    That is what I was thinking....the drive shaft is probably toast anyway, exhaust shouldn't be an issue.....looks like there is probably acces to get through the underside/floor.
    And not to be overly critical; How many floors/vehicle undersides have you cut? For ME, it will be the LAST place I go and only after everything else has been carefully considered and discarded. Slow,blind,labor intensive with generally less than optimum results. I've had to do it,but NEVER enjoyed it. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    For the purpose of the discussion we will say one driver,vehicle is within 15' of road shoulder and your ram is OOS. I'll supply the complete "how we did it" later. T.C.
    We have a total of 10 Rams on two trucks, so we wouldnt have an issue. But we have plenty of other options including spreaders, come-alongs, grip-hoists and hi-lift jacks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    We have a total of 10 Rams on two trucks, so we wouldnt have an issue. But we have plenty of other options including spreaders, come-alongs, grip-hoists and hi-lift jacks
    We've got 1 plus a Portopower.I originally thought about using the ram on this job but it wasn't needed. Since we got our Hrt's back in the early 80's we've used the ram maybe three times. Isn't room on our Engine to put much more. T.C.

Forum Member

I'm a little late to the party, but with unibody cars, once the body is folded like that all structural strength is gone. Now all you have is creased sheetmetal, much easier to move. Evidently there was no entrapment under the dash?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I'm a little late to the party, but with unibody cars, once the body is folded like that all structural strength is gone. Now all you have is creased sheetmetal, much easier to move. Evidently there was no entrapment under the dash?
    NOT exactly. A great deal of strength still exists until you remove bent material(IE the roof).Once that was done and the bend was relaxed, the dash entanglement became a non issue. Because a Unibody contains all the strength in the basic design of the Platform instead of a full frame, when you bend them you create a whole new chapter in where the "strong"points become. Think of it as altered structure: The inherent strengths of the base material are still there,just the bends are in different places. When we first looked at the best way in,two methods came up. We went with roof removal which wound up being a sound decision. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 11-27-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Back In Black

My original answer was to call the M.E. and order coffee.

Guess you had a survivor?

Wow!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    My original answer was to call the M.E. and order coffee.

Guess you had a survivor?

Wow!
    Regretfully there was no survivor. Passed before we could get there. As close to instantly as you can get. M E had no particular interest, the PD shot a few pictures,we took care of the Extrication. Coffee really wasn't an issue. Like every wreck there was lessons to be had and we took advantage of them. T.C.

Thread Information