Forum Member

Default Alameda County 2012

I received an email to test next week...

Does anyone know anything about the department's plans to hire? Or the test they are administering?

I'm testing for Berkeley on Sunday in Oakland, and I probably can't go up there twice (from Southern California), so if anyone knows a reason it might be better to test for Alameda County, I'd appreciate the input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alameda county is a much larger department which is rapidly growing, they have typically been hiring yearly, around 10 a ppl a year I believe. Both departments will have a lot of people testing for them this time around. Berkeley has passed out fliers all throughout California letting everyone know they are testing so either way it's a long shot. Good luck

Forum Member

Although the Alameda announcement was for both EMT's and medics, I have heard in the past they have only been hiring medics. Can anyone vouch for this?

Forum Member

ALCo often hires from their reserves and if you're not in a protected class you almost always need to be a medic.

Last couple of tests they've started using a written test. Before you were just invited to the agility then oral.

Berkeley hires mostly medics.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I tested with Alameda County about 2 years ago.

A lot of people showed up for the test.
    I made it to orals, woke up very early to make the 5 hour drive for my 3:00PM interview. I was sick as a dog. To the point where I didn't know if it was safe for me to get behind the wheel of a car. Also, I knew I would have done poorly in the interview so I called and opted out of the process. This has nothing to do with your question and I am not sure why I wrote it...Oh, the test I took was typical CPS.

Anyways, seems like an awesome department and I would have loved to have had the opportunity to work for them. From everything I heard in regards to the last process....Medic and/or reserve and being a top notch candidate is your way in there.

I think you'd have better odds at Alameda County.

Either way, take both of the tests if at all possible. You never know.

PS You gotta be getting picked up soon. Based off your posts, seems like you're always prepping for a chief's interview and are pretty high up on a few lists.

Good luck, man.

Forum Member

I would go with county, counties normally have more opportunity to expand services and thus hire more people, as well as better benefits.

Forum Member

Anyone have an idea on about how many actually tested?

Forum Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread but does anyone know when results are suppose to be out for first round orals, how many are going to Chief's orals, and how many do they plan on taking into the 2012 academy?

Forum Member

So emails came out, mine saying that I'm on the eligible hiring list with a score of 78. Anyone with higher scores get notified of chiefs interviews or backgrounds?

Forum Member

I believe that you need around a 92 or better to get a chiefs oral. Don't mark my words but i think this is correct. Can any one clarify?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm remember last year a friend of mine saying he was eliminated during the panel interview. So I'm not sure if this year it's different and everyone just gets a score and is put on their list? Or if getting a score moves you further on in the process. I also recall the next step being skills testing from last year but I don't remember this years hr timeline

Forum Member

Anyone have any further info on this? I've tried to get through to HR but it's tough to get a response from them.

Forum Member

I know emails went out on Thursday to people that were asked to move on. I have a couple friends that recieved emails saying they were not moving fwd. I scored a 93.5 and have not recieved a email. I called HR on Thursday and was told 54 people were moving on. My friend that got a email scored a 96. I thought a 93.5 would hopefully put me through but I guess not......

Forum Member

Thank you for clearing that up. Man that is a bummer; I would think with a 93 you'd move on. I scored a 91 which I thought was descent lol but apparently I was still way off.. It was a good learning experience anyway.

Thread Information