Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decision Time

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Decision Time

So guys I find myself at another croosroad, therefor I am again asking for your advice. I have been working at my current Dept, for 10 months now. The department does not run EMS so I am not required to have EMT-B or P, because of this they will not work around a schedule repuired for my to get these courses. I landed this job with the mindset on still trying to get hired at the department that I have always wanted to work at. Which does run EMS and being a medic would help land the job. Now for my problem...I am in a position now finacially that I am considering leaving my department to go back to school full time and get Paramedic and a degree in fire science. What do you guys think? Is this a smart career move, or is this to risky? I am trying to decide in time to finish registration for the upcoming spring semester.

Forum Member

I would consider trying online classes for your degree. And as for the paramedic/EMT thing, in my area there are programs that offer classes only once a week. Maybe you can fix that in on your kelly day. Goodluck in your decision making process.

MembersZone Subscriber

For fire science I have considered online. The big problem lies in the fact that I don't have kellys, and I commut an hour to work plus it would be an additional hour the other way to school, which does not offer a 24/48 friendly schedule for classes. Therefore I am thinking just go fulltime, I can work on both degrees at the same time and knock it out in around 4-6 semesters depending on what transfers.

Forum Member

So 2 to 3. Years to finish all

If you can handle it financially sounds like you have decided already

Just do not know what hiring will be like in 2/3 years and on top of that maybe another 1to 2 years before you might get hired

If you did paramedic only how soon could you finish????

What state are you in???

MembersZone Subscriber

Im looking at 1/2 years to finish Paramedic, beacaus of Spring, Summer and Fall semester. After that it would be 1 semester online to finish fire science. I am in central Alabama, work in west alabama and would be going to school in the Birmingham area.

They won't work around your school schedule with you?
    What type of schedule are you on?
    Do you do 24's?
    Can you do trades?
    Is EMT or PM required to apply at your dream department?
    Bottom line; are you not happy at your current department and need to do this in your eyes to get on elsewhere and be contented?

If you are set financially and can finish school/PM, you will obviously make yourself more marketable in the long run. But it's still not a guarantee.

Good luck!

Forum Member

You would really consider leaving your job as a FF just to get your medic patch? I would take a good look at how many unemployed FF/medics there are in your state Vs. openings your dream dept has before quitting. If your state is like Florida, there are close to 1000 people for every 1 job opening.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the feed back guys, I am happy to anouce that I am currently awaiting a Interview at the department I wanted to go to. If I land the job they will work with and help pay for my Medic. Agian thanks for the insight.

Be Safe, Be Proffesional, and Always go Home!

Thread Information