Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nr9306

Thread: Dept. Clothing For Juniors???

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dept. Clothing For Juniors???

Do you allow your junior members to have dept. clothing such as T-Shirts?
    I was thinking about making some special shirts for the Juniors that say Junior Fire Fighter on them and allow them to wear them to school. My thought is that this would help to promote our program. Any thoughts??

Forum Member

On our department we where the same clothing and are free to where them anywhere. The only things that say junior are the helmets (sometimes) and the mini license plates. It still sounds like a good way to advertise the program. Just don't make it look like apparel that you would give to little kids (junior firefighter doesn't always sound like a legitimate title).
    Chase_SW28 likes this.

Forum Member

We have t-shirts that our department on the back and cadet on the front left. We can buy pants and boots. If we need the white dress shirts they are issued for the event and turned in after. We also get the half plates. Our helmets are also green instead of the yellow that the firefighters have.
    "A Brother Above All Else" ~Glen Schade

"Those who volunteer to fight fires are people who truly care." ~C. Pulsifer

jstenka@firehousemail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nr9306 View Post
    On our department we where the same clothing and are free to where them anywhere. The only things that say junior are the helmets (sometimes) and the mini license plates. It still sounds like a good way to advertise the program. Just don't make it look like apparel that you would give to little kids (junior firefighter doesn't always sound like a legitimate title).
    Thanks, and good point about not making sound like something little kids in fire prevention programs would get. Our members might not like that much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jake_WVFD17 View Post
    We have t-shirts that our department on the back and cadet on the front left. We can buy pants and boots. If we need the white dress shirts they are issued for the event and turned in after. We also get the half plates. Our helmets are also green instead of the yellow that the firefighters have.

Our juniors wear orange helmets, all juniors in the county have them so all depts. can identify them. I like the cadet name versus juniors. I see you are from Wayne, we are just across the river from you in Iowa, Moville.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    Do you allow your junior members to have dept. clothing such as T-Shirts?
    I was thinking about making some special shirts for the Juniors that say Junior Fire Fighter on them and allow them to wear them to school. My thought is that this would help to promote our program. Any thoughts??

Some schools prohibit Tee shirts or any shirts which has writing on them, be it FD, any music group or radical genre.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We have done it for quite some time, had a few issues, this is what we came up with. When you put on anything that has the dept logo on it you are now representing the dept and you will act accordingly as such or not be on the dept. PROBLEM SOLVED.
    Last edited by Miller337; 10-28-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Forum Member

I say go for it...not only does it give the juniors a sense of identity (and the ability to even further grow unit pride), it's a great means of advertising. And as has been said, make sure they are clearly FD specific and not just shirts that parents would buy for little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Some schools prohibit Tee shirts or any shirts which has writing on them, be it FD, any music group or radical genre.
    Side note, I dare you to actually participate in a discussion and not just come in and pick apart the OP.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I say go for it...not only does it give the juniors a sense of identity (and the ability to even further grow unit pride), it's a great means of advertising. And as has been said, make sure they are clearly FD specific and not just shirts that parents would buy for little kids.

Side note, I dare you to actually participate in a discussion and not just come in and pick apart the OP.
    If they didn't start a thread with some bs as they do they wouldn't get any responses!

Have you ever heard of a Catholic School or ever have attended one. There are dress codes. Everyone wear the same style of clothing, boys wear shirts with ties and long trousers. Girls wear dresses and blouses.

Public schools do not allow tee's or shirt which have emblems in my area either.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

In my area as long as they are actually wearing shirts they can come to school, The definition of "Shirt" sometimes is altered for females though....

We are currently working on an Explorer program for our dept. Hoping that some of the younger crowd gets involved and maybe sticks around.

My departments gave explorers/cadets red shirts that have the fire dept name on the back and either say explorer or cadet on the front. My departments chose red because ff's wear blue and it makes it easy to pick us out of a crowd during events/fundraisers and helps avoid confusion about who is a ff and who is an explorer. One department let us wear them anywhere and they were required uniform apparel for trainings and the other dept required them for trainings but didn't allow us to wear them outside of the station. The shirts worked very well for "advertising" about the post and helped recruit new people. The department that didn't let us wear them to school wasn't really interested in getting more cadets and was worried we would do something stupid while wearing the shirts. We never had any problems with it on my first department though.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

I'm a junior firefighter, or as our department calls us "cadets" and I'm allowed to wear regular department fire clothing such as duty shirts. There was a lot of debate in our company about juniors wearing company apparel outside of the firehouse. After many discussions, our company came to the conclusion of letting junior members (under 18) wear fire company clothing at the firehouse only. I've always been told just not to wear the shirt if you're going to partake in activities that you do not want associated with your department or company. I hope this helps.

Forum Member

On my department we are issued the same type of shirt as the firefighters. While not written in stone, many of us will only wear our shirts at fire department related events. Though, as long as they say Jr. Firefighter on them (sort of seperates them from the regular firefighters) it sounds like a good idea for publicity.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    As a side note, my son carried his voice pager to school, left it in the locker during classes, and then he had it during after school events so he knew what was going on etc.

One of the vice principals told him he could not have it on school property, even in his car in the parking lot. Said people set up drug deals on those things - even the fire department ones.

I can hear it now - 911 to Lanton Fire, have a request for a dime bag at state route 142...

A trip to the principals office fixed that issue real quick.

Forum Member

My dept. wears uniforms very similar to the FFs. Polos with the dept. Maltese and our explorer post. Navy blue with navy blue dickies.

Forum Member

Our juniors are allowed to wear any item of department clothing including polos, t-shirts, jackets/sweatshirts and dress uniforms.

They are made very aware of the fact that when wearing those items they represent the department, and we have very little tolerance if there is an issue. Several of our FORMER junior members have found that to be the case.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I would believe such a method would do as you say. Here in Columbia Missouri, where the Explorer Post I am with as an Explorer student is located, the local fire department does provide Polo shirts having of course "Explorers Program" of which appear to have attained some positive responses. Curosity being received by several citizens once unaware. Such an attention grabber being the "Tunnel to Towers Run" held in my town at Steven's lake park. The Tunnel to Towers run polos making for the main release of the program, and also the attendance of myeslf and other event assisting fire explorers.

Forum Member

Helpful shearing accounting to me.

Thread Information