Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Forum Member

Hey GordytheGolden, what rank were you after the written on the test that you took? Also, were you certified after the initail group was certified on your list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by natec123 View Post
    Hey GordytheGolden, what rank were you after the written on the test that you took? Also, were you certified after the initail group was certified on your list?
    151 was my initial. And I didn't get certified until last August. I know they dropped back pretty far in the rankings because they lost a TON of people in backgrounds (as usual), and of the people I know, there's some from the 160s, 180s, and I think the lowest was like 212 or something. Last academy they took all the way back to the 140s I believe. Again, I don't think there's too many left on the certified list. They certified from the 60 who were invited to CPAT last year, hired 24, failed a handful in the CPAT, and have lost some more due to getting hired elsewhere or a scratch on their background since August. Again, through hearsay, it sounds like they only brought ~30 or so in to orals last year; the September class did their orals in December of 2010 with the first round.

Forum Member

Again, a lot of my info is only through what I've heard and talking to people. I don't think anyone has any definite stats or anything, all of my stuff is from people I've met in the process, or from talking to some of the guys from last academy.

Forum Member

Congrats first off! Have fun in the worm tube.

So, you are saying just 2 academies off the last list testing then? That seems consistent with previous years, but just checking. Thanks for the info.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

All,
    I'm just wondering, how many of you typed your application? How many printed in color? how many filled out every line on your app? Thx

Forum Member

I typed mine on my computer and printed in color. I filled in every line. If it didn't apply to me or if one of my references didn't have a home number for instance, I just put NA.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I typed mine on my computer and printed in color. I filled in every line. If it didn't apply to me or if one of my references didn't have a home number for instance, I just put NA.
    What program did you use to do this? Did you create text boxes for each field and then fill in, or is there a better way of doing this? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Great news for the guys on the old list. Congrats. Anyone heard anything about how that will or will not effect the Academy timeline for the new list folks? I wonder if that tentative October Academy is still an option or if we are pushed back by the July one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    Great news for the guys on the old list. Congrats. Anyone heard anything about how that will or will not effect the Academy timeline for the new list folks? I wonder if that tentative October Academy is still an option or if we are pushed back by the July one.
    Latest word (from the Civil Service) is that academy will be pushed back due to the old list being used and huge budget cuts. Our first academy will most likely be Summer of 2013 and HOPEFULLY before the June 16th Cpat expires.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myfireangel View Post
    Latest word (from the Civil Service) is that academy will be pushed back due to the old list being used and huge budget cuts. Our first academy will most likely be Summer of 2013 and HOPEFULLY before the June 16th Cpat expires.
    Who said this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    What program did you use to do this? Did you create text boxes for each field and then fill in, or is there a better way of doing this? Thanks in advance.
    I used adobe typewriter. I had to create a lot of text boxes. It took some time to get everything straight but when I was done it looked really good.

Forum Member

Anybody hear about the outcome of the budget meeting that was a few weeks ago?

Forum Member

Who said this?
    My background investigator said that the earliest would be 2/13 but at the practice Cpat they announced that it would most likely be closer to summer/2013. Jeff Wilson should be able to clarify, he was there.

Forum Member

I used adobe typewriter. I had to create a lot of text boxes. It took some time to get everything straight but when I was done it looked really good.
    Cool, thanks for the reply. Good luck with your testing.

Forum Member

Who has been losing sleep in anticipation of a phone call for the July academy? Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming academy?

Forum Member

The July 9th academy is being filled from the old list. The new list, or currently being made list will be active for two years. If DFD does " Back to back" academys the first possible academy might be early in 2013. And of course this depends on budgets and needs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pepedepaco View Post
    Who has been losing sleep in anticipation of a phone call for the July academy? Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming academy?
    I'm just going to assume it's not going to be until next year at this point. I don't put too much stock in rumors, but I keep hearing similar word. Of course if it was sooner, that would be a pleasant surprise, but I'm not banking on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    I'm just going to assume it's not going to be until next year at this point. I don't put too much stock in rumors, but I keep hearing similar word. Of course if it was sooner, that would be a pleasant surprise, but I'm not banking on it.
    Same here. Hopefully we can still finish this process soon and get certified. That would be nice.

Forum Member

While you wait the ever-long wait there are some video's on youtube of some previous academies. Search for Denver Fire Department channel or Firewerx films. Might give you a good idea of what to prepare for/look forward to in your academy. Good luck!

(I'm not affiliated with either of them btw)

Forum Member

Now that the CPAT's are done, how did everybody do?

Forum Member

7:13 in the rain hah

Forum Member

I thought my 8:15 was pretty good not so much after reading the post above

Forum Member

10:20 and below is a pass, time counts for nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denusa View Post
    I thought my 8:15 was pretty good not so much after reading the post above

Forum Member

I passed w/o problem. I did notice the altitude, though. I was trying to take my time to make sure I didn't do anything dumb, but I did take longer than I expected @ 9:20something.

There were 3-4 female applicants in the group that didn't fare so well. Felt bad to see them struggle so much. The CPAT is far from the most difficult physical test out there, but they were clearly unprepared for it. That is what the CPAT is designed for I suppose.

Forum Member

Any thoughts on what the current number of applicants is? With cpat losses and background losses?

Quote Originally Posted by malder View Post
    I passed w/o problem. I did notice the altitude, though. I was trying to take my time to make sure I didn't do anything dumb, but I did take longer than I expected @ 9:20something.

There were 3-4 female applicants in the group that didn't fare so well. Felt bad to see them struggle so much. The CPAT is far from the most difficult physical test out there, but they were clearly unprepared for it. That is what the CPAT is designed for I suppose.

Thread Information