Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Forum Member

Mine is updated to eligible as well. Wonder if Mr. Wilson would share how many were passed on or what your current ranking is. I'd be curious to know how many got bumped through the poly, psych, cpat, etc...

Forum Member

I think we will get ranked. We should, anyway. Looking at the DFD hiring flow chart, once we get past the whole background process, which we did, "Applicants who pass Background are generally merged onto Eligible Register Ranked by Final Exam Score."

Forum Member

Im Elegible as well, thanks DenvFire for heads up!!!

Forum Member

I'm still in the running! Congrats to all that are still in the process.

Forum Member

Just landed Band A in the Aurora FD process as well. They said an AFD Academy won't be til March/April 2013. Not sure what bearing that will have on a DFD one; hopefully sooner rather than later!

Forum Member

Same boat. Congrats.

Forum Member

So how many guys are both in Denver/Aurora Process? Im in B with Aurora . If it was Denver or Aurora that you had to choose from , which one would you take? Just curious!

Forum Member

All things being equal, I would choose Denver myself. I would be thrilled with either of course. Interesting to see which runs an Academy first. Congrats to all

Forum Member

Has anyone inquired as to how many people are on the list? Do they have an updated ranking available?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by malder View Post
    Has anyone inquired as to how many people are on the list? Do they have an updated ranking available?
    That'd be interesting to know. I'm pretty sure they began processing another group of applicants. Has anybody heard any updates on the budgetary issues?

Forum Member

Default Found this article that could determine our fate.

Denver budget cuts $94 million, Mayor Hancock pushes for "de-Brucing"
    POSTED: * 09/13/2012 12:01:00 AM MDT
    UPDATED: * 09/13/2012 12:12:31 AM MDTBy Jeremy P. Meyer
    The Denver Post

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock wants to "de-Bruce" property taxes. His budget proposal includes $94 million in reductions. (Kathryn Scott Osler, The Denver Post)
    Denver Mayor Michael Hancock unveiled an austere 2013 budget Wednesday one that achieves $94 million in cuts by furloughing employees, reducing library hours and delaying street repairs.

"This is not the Denver I want, and I know this is not the Denver that we can be," Hancock said at a news conference before making a pitch to the city's voters to pass a measure on November's ballot that would put more money into the city's budget.

Hancock wants voters to allow the city to "de-Bruce" its property taxes, which would let Denver keep $68 million in tax revenue that, under state law, it currently would be required to return to taxpayers.

Hancock said that if Measure 2A passes, parts of the 2013 budget would be changed. For example, he said he would eliminate the furlough days, allow recruitment of up to 100 new police officers and firefighters, repave 300 lane miles of city streets, restore library hours to 48 hours a week, and provide free access to the city pools and recreation centers for every Denver school-aged child.

But in the meantime, Hancock is required to present a balanced budget to be vetted
    by City Council and approved by the end of November.

The "first draft" budget includes $10 million in permanent reductions from streamlining government, $5 million in employee savings in health care and pension costs and $41 million in service reductions.

It will be five straight years of cuts that amounts to about $540 million in reductions necessary because city expenses continue to exceed declining revenues from sales and property taxes.

Denver hasn't had a new class of police recruits since 2009. It has delayed replacing vehicles, reduced library hours and hasn't kept up with repaving many of its streets, chief financial officer Cary Kennedy said. The city has as many as 200 vacant positions that haven't been filled to reduce employee costs, she said.

The $1.5 billion budget which includes Denver International Airport's budget projects a 1.45 percentage point increase in expenses for 2013, mostly to pay operating costs for the new westside library branch, the new county jail building and additional parkland that were all approved by voters. The general fund appropriation is $964 million.

Hancock said the budget is focused on providing $305 million for economic development, $52 million for children and youth services and $698 million for public safety.

Hancock said his administration will conduct a "baseline analysis" to watch how the city allocates resources to specific areas.

"We are putting in place a system that measures our return on investment in those areas," he said.

Council president Mary Beth Susman said she will scrutinize the $10 million in permanent savings the city says it has achieved through streamlining government so she can better tell people why they should support 2A.

"I want to do the math so that I know exactly where that savings is," she said,"so that voters will trust that we are making a lean government before we go to the ballot."

The City and County of Denver, unlike many counties, has never opted out of revenue limits on property taxes imposed under the Taxpayer's Bill of Rights, a process known as de-Brucing, a reference to Douglas Bruce, the author of TABOR.

In 2005, Denver voters approved removing TABOR revenue limits for 10 years on sales taxes but not property taxes. City officials say because of this Denver has forgone $800 million in property tax revenues since 1992.

Jeremy P. Meyer: 303-954-1367, jpmeyer@denverpost.com or twitter.com/jpmeyerdpost

Read more: Denver budget cuts $94 million, Mayor Hancock pushes for "de-Brucing" - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/recommende...#ixzz26UknHHN7
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Forum Member

Vote yes on 2a!!!!

Forum Member

Aurora requires anybody below a captian obtain and maintain a paramedic cert. DFD is only Basic EMTs.

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    All things being equal, I would choose Denver myself. I would be thrilled with either of course. Interesting to see which runs an Academy first. Congrats to all

Forum Member

As a result of the Entry-Level Firefighter files – Deliberative Review, Vice President Berlin made a
    motion, seconded by Commissioner Spengler to pass eighty (80) applicants and fail seven (7) applicants.
    The motion passed unanimously. There being no further action taken and no other business to be heard,
    the Civil Service Commission meeting of September 7, 2012 was adjourned at 10:53 a.m.

Forum Member

Those odds are getting better and better. Hopefully we will be getting interviews soon!

Forum Member

Here's hoping. Mr. Wilson said there is still no updated info on an Academy and that we are waiting on the Manager of Safety's word.

Forum Member

Last edited by WildFED; 10-05-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Forum Member

I don't give much attention to rumors. Mr. Wilson said they still have no idea and are waiting on the MOS. I think they would give us a heads up if it was likely to be that far away. I could be wrong of course.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    I don't give much attention to rumors. Mr. Wilson said they still have no idea and are waiting on the MOS. I think they would give us a heads up if it was likely to be that far away. I could be wrong of course.
    We sort of did get a heads up at the CPAT session. Earl Peterson warned us that he didn't think there would be a class until the summer of 2013. He did also say though that anything can happen, as he didn't expect the July academy class to happen but it did. The vote on 2a could potentially mean a lot for our futures.

That being said, CrossFit in the academy would be interesting. Although I couldn't picture being evaluated on our double unders, overhead squats or hang squat snatches. It would be pretty awesome if there were daily WOD's. On a serious note in the information packet on the DCS website there's a physical fitness prep for the academy.

Forum Member

Last edited by WildFED; 10-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone else who didn't score high enough on the initial test get an email today? I did good on the written test, but not good enough to move. Out of the blue today, I got an email asking if I was still interested in the dept along with paperwork for me to start completing. I wonder if they are going to establish a two year list and needed more candidates?

Forum Member

i was in the top 10 after the written.. passed the rest of the testing and was put on the eligible list in the first week of september.. haven't heard anything else since. good luck to everyone that is still testing.

Forum Member

Same. Just waiting on a 2013 academy.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    i was in the top 10 after the written.. passed the rest of the testing and was put on the eligible list in the first week of september.. haven't heard anything else since. good luck to everyone that is still testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireCO View Post
    Same. Just waiting on a 2013 academy.

About how long did it take from backround packet to CPAT?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

I wonder if they are trying to build a hiring list or build another class? I had passed the original written, but got the email my score wasn't high enough to continue on in the process. Then I got that email yesterday with the background check and all the other paperwork. I wonder if they are looking at another class late in 2013 or 2014?

Thread Information