Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Forum Member

You wont hear anything until it closes, if you don't have your medic the lateral may not work for you. AFD is an all medic Dept. The entry level people are currently do polygraphs and backgrounds. I hope that is the answer you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_honz View Post
    Sorry for being off DFD topic, but I saw you guys posting about Aurora and I have an app in for the lateral. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is anyone on here in the lateral process? I turned in my app in May, got an email back stating that it was forwarded to the fire dept. and have heard nothing back. I know it does not close until the end of the year, but was curious if anyone had any info?? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireCO View Post
    So who is going to accept Aurora and then quit to join DFD?
    I would probably do that, but im in B with Aurora. i think DFD will happen sooner than Aurora for me at least

Forum Member

Did anybody on here qualify for the second language points?
    why did you ask about language pts?

Forum Member

Hey guys, I was looking over the requirements for DFD and was curious if one would be trained as in EMT while in the fire academy or if you would have to do that in addition to the academy on your own? The information booklet isn't 100% clear on this issue.

"While employed with the Denver Fire Department, Firefighters are required to obtain and maintain certification as an E.M.T. Renewal training and testing is required to ensure compliance."

I did find this in the 2011 recruit manual:

"The EMT-B National Registry is required by the end of your first year of employment. Failure to attain a National Registry EMT-B level certificate or higher, will result in dismissal. Maintaining State
    EMT-B Certification is mandatory as a condition of continued employment with the Denver Fire Department."

It seems you can be hired without it, so I guess my question remains, is it your responsibility to obtain the cert on your own time and dime?
    Last edited by DFDNY444; 11-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Forum Member

I was just wondering how many people actually qualitied for the points. I wish I was able to speak a second language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denusa View Post
    why did you ask about language pts?

Forum Member

The academy is approx 20+ weeks, from what I'm told If you currently hold an EMT cert you will be released from the academy to the line. The folks that don't hold a cert will "Finish" the rest of the academy which is when the EMT training starts. That is to the best of my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by DFDNY444 View Post
    Hey guys, I was looking over the requirements for DFD and was curious if one would be trained as in EMT while in the fire academy or if you would have to do that in addition to the academy on your own? The information booklet isn't 100% clear on this issue.

"While employed with the Denver Fire Department, Firefighters are required to obtain and maintain certification as an E.M.T. Renewal training and testing is required to ensure compliance."

I did find this in the 2011 recruit manual:

"The EMT-B National Registry is required by the end of your first year of employment. Failure to attain a National Registry EMT-B level certificate or higher, will result in dismissal. Maintaining State
    EMT-B Certification is mandatory as a condition of continued employment with the Denver Fire Department."

It seems you can be hired without it, so I guess my question remains, is it your responsibility to obtain the cert on your own time and dime?

Forum Member

So if you have EMT then the academy is less than 20 weeks?

I qualified for language points..it was pretty tough.

Is our two year list 2 years from the test date or eligible register date?
    Last edited by colorad; 11-17-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Member

The academy is approx 20+ weeks, from what I'm told If you currently hold an EMT cert you will be released from the academy to the line. The folks that don't hold a cert will "Finish" the rest of the academy which is when the EMT training starts. That is to the best of my knowledge.
    I appreciate the quick response.
    Last edited by DFDNY444; 02-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Forum Member

From what I'm being told, the academy will be slightly shorter for the folks that have E.M.T. The two years start from the date the list was certified by the comission.

Quote Originally Posted by colorad View Post
    So if you have EMT then the academy is less than 20 weeks?

I qualified for language points..it was pretty tough.

Is our two year list 2 years from the test date or eligible register date?

Forum Member

Does anyone know what date the list was officially certified?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by natec123 View Post
    Does anyone know what date the list was officially certified?
    I dont think it has been yet, we're all on eligible but not certified list. as far as i know

Forum Member

I was just wondering how many people actually qualitied for the points. I wish I was able to speak a second language.
    Military or second language does help a lot. I was originally in low 400s, after language points applied i jumped 350 ppl ! Same thing would happen with Military as well. So it's tough to compete without language or Mili

Forum Member

Thanks for all the information guys.

Just out of curiosity, for those of us who just got our backgrounds sent, does anybody have any clue as to when this potential 2nd academy would start? I know it's a stretch, but any info is always appreciated. And yeah, best to start that packet early if you haven't already. Providing 15 years of work history is kind of a pain.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denusa View Post
    Military or second language does help a lot. I was originally in low 400s, after language points applied i jumped 350 ppl ! Same thing would happen with Military as well. So it's tough to compete without language or Mili
    I always wondered how much it helped. Thanks for sharing your info. You're right that it's a big jump that's tough to compete with. I 2nd FireCO's wish to speak a 2nd language. If only I'd payed attention in Spanish class years ago... ha

Hey, just curious... What was the language test like? I'd heard that it was done by phone by an outside agency, but can you give us a little info on your experience? Are you just conversing on everyday topics in the 2nd language or do they expect to act more like a translator? Just curious, and that question has come up before for DFD in past years.

Best of luck with the rest of your process though.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguy85 View Post
    Thanks for all the information guys.

Just out of curiosity, for those of us who just got our backgrounds sent, does anybody have any clue as to when this potential 2nd academy would start?
    Remember, just because they are processing a 2nd round of people that doesn't mean that they are necessarily for a 2nd academy. They like to have more people through the background and ready to go in case they need them: I have heard 3x the amount of people they think they will need.

Not trying to burst bubbles, but just wanted you to know how they have operated in the past. They might have all they need for 2 academies from the first group they processed, but it really depends how many drop out, fail background, fail CPAT, fail psych and poly, fail oral. Know what I'm saying?
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

makes perfect sense and thanks for the response. I was just curious cause i was definitely not in the top 200 and it came out of nowhere. Difficult to NOT get excited when an opportunity like this pops up though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    I always wondered how much it helped. Thanks for sharing your info. You're right that it's a big jump that's tough to compete with. I 2nd FireCO's wish to speak a 2nd language. If only I'd payed attention in Spanish class years ago... ha

Hey, just curious... What was the language test like? I'd heard that it was done by phone by an outside agency, but can you give us a little info on your experience? Are you just conversing on everyday topics in the 2nd language or do they expect to act more like a translator? Just curious, and that question has come up before for DFD in past years.

Best of luck with the rest of your process though.
    With DFD i had to do an oral interview for second language, took like 30 mins. But it was obvious that i was beyond advance(i grew up speaking the language, moved to states when i was 17). So it was really easy. They asked me situation questions: what would you do if somebody was drowning, if your neighbor didn't speak English and he/she had severe chest pain what your actions would be?

I tested for Aurora it was much easier, it was done by an outside agency by phone. The nice thing about that is, it is so much easier to schedule , i liked that. Same questions: What do you think the world is going to? Why you like Colorado? Do you like to travel? They just need to know how advance you are in the language.

None of the departments tested writing or reading portion.

I ve talked on Sunday with one of the guys who just completed the DFD academy and he said that Denver should hire a lot of firefighters and policemen in either late 2013 or 2014, close to a 100 on both sides, could be a rumor tho, but 2a did pass!!!

Good luck to you as well yjbrody! Im excited!

Forum Member

http://youtu.be/wYuBnUjxv2w

Congrats to DFA 2012, I knew 2 guys that where in this academy, I couldn't be more happy for them.

-Dave
    Last edited by ColoradoDave; 11-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    nomex82, DFDNY444 and Flag0512 like this.

Forum Member

Is anybody going to the comission meeting this am?

Forum Member

Is anybody going to the comission meeting this am?
    I don't know if they even have anything regarding the FD on the agenda. This process. smh

Forum Member

Default City Council Meeting

(I had originally posted a link, but it doesn't seem to work)

On the City Council website, I was able to find slides from a November 27 presentation to the City Council, which shows where the money from 2A will be distributed. On page 13, the slide states:

Fire Recruit Class
    – The Denver Fire Department is holding only one recruit class in 2012 and is currently budgeted for only one recruit class in 2013.

Impact
    These funds will allow the DFD to hold a second recruit class
    in the fourth quarter of 2013. This will allow DFD to operate at
    authorized strength.

Total 2013
    Financial Impact
    $409,000

According to the Denver Post, the City Council "approved the first procedural step for the flow of the new money" yesterday Monday, December 10.

The slides also note "Spring/Fall classes."
    Last edited by DFDNY444; 12-11-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDNY444 View Post
    (I had originally posted a link, but it doesn't seem to work)

On the City Council website, I was able to find slides from a November 27 presentation to the City Council, which shows where the money from 2A will be distributed. On page 13, the slide states:

Fire Recruit Class
    The Denver Fire Department is holding only one recruit class in 2012 and is currently budgeted for only one recruit class in 2013.

Impact
    These funds will allow the DFD to hold a second recruit class
    in the fourth quarter of 2013. This will allow DFD to operate at
    authorized strength.

Total 2013
    Financial Impact
    $409,000

According to the Denver Post, the City Council "approved the first procedural step for the flow of the new money" yesterday Monday, December 10.

The slides also note "Spring/Fall classes."
    Well done sir. Interesting

Forum Member

Any idea if the CSC would give us our current rankings?

Forum Member

Maybe, I was provided my updated rank when we started this process. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    Any idea if the CSC would give us our current rankings?

Forum Member

Does anybody know if we will be taking another CPAT? Since we only have about 4 months left on the last one we took.

Thread Information