Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Default DFD testing

Registration for 1400 testing slots filled up in 10 mins. Wow!!

Walk-ins still welcome. For info and to sign up go here.

Good luck to everyone testing.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Registration for 1400 testing slots filled up in 10 mins. Wow!!

Walk-ins still welcome. For info and to sign up go here.

Good luck to everyone testing.
    Put in my app this morning. All the testing slots were full by the time my app got through. I'll be out there for a week in Feb. I'll just try to do a walk in every day and keep my fingers crossed.

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't know there was a limit. I should have skipped class this morning!
    What time do you think I should show up if I want to "walk-in"?

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Put in my app this morning. All the testing slots were full by the time my app got through. I'll be out there for a week in Feb. I'll just try to do a walk in every day and keep my fingers crossed.
    Since you're from out of town make sure to get their early. I was a walk in a few times back and got there at 6:30 (I think) and was #7 or 8 in line. Luckily I still got in but from talking to the proctor it sounds like I was really lucky. I think the average is more like 2-3 no shows. I was fully expecting to make the drive to Denver the next day.

I would get their before 6 for sure and make sure you are at the right door. Per the website "The Webb building located at 201 W. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80202 does not open to the public until 7:00 a.m. however, “walk-in” applicants are not prohibited from arriving earlier. Due to the competitive nature of Fire/Police Testing, “walk-in” applicants who arrive prior to 7:00 a.m. must line up at the Court Place entrance of the Webb building (between 14th St. and 15th St.)."

Hope this helps and keep in mind my experience was from 4 years ago so things might have changed (the info from their site is current though), but I figured since you were out of town I would give you a heads up.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I didn't know there was a limit. I should have skipped class this morning!
    What time do you think I should show up if I want to "walk-in"?
    Yeah, I've seen different numbers (1400-1500), but according to their site it's 34 computer stations x 41 testing days= just under 1400 testing. Not bad odds for a big dept.

See post above for advice for walkins. Also look for days that would be most likely to have people no show: snow days are good ones but not a sure thing (remember it's Colorado and most people are used to the white stuff but it could delay those flying/driving in), day after valentines, monday after Superbowl, you get the idea...

Best of luck.

Yeah, I've seen different numbers (1400-1500), but according to their site it's 34 computer stations x 41 testing days= just under 1400 testing. Not bad odds for a big dept.

See post above for advice for walkins. Also look for days that would be most likely to have people no show: snow days are good ones but not a sure thing (remember it's Colorado and most people are used to the white stuff but it could delay those flying/driving in), day after valentines, monday after Superbowl, you get the idea...

Best of luck.
    Ya I was shocked that it filled up that quick. I knew it would be fast so I was still logged in and applying at 0901. I been waiting for this test way too long to wait longer then that. Denver is one of my dream departments.

Also note for those that walk in. 2 years ago I was a walk-in. Took 2 tries. First day I showed up at 0630ish and was number 12 took 11. (First guy was 0545) Next day I decided I was playing any games I was making sure I was one of the first 2 there got there at about 0345. (If your lucky the security guard will let you wait in between the doors. But still prepare to be outside) and that day by the time the civil service lady showed up at 0530 there were about 25 people waiting for walk in spots. They started turning them away.

The lady also did mention 2 years ago that some days last year they had barley any walk ins some days and had open computers to test on. So its compete hit or miss.

Good Luck guys.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

applied as a walk in.

Forum Member

I spaced it and forgot to log on this morning though from reading this.. it does not sound like it would have improved my odds. I had no idea this was set only at a certain number. I applied as a walk in. I may have a trip in Denver in February and if the trip pans out I will attempt to test. It's in the universe's hands for now.

Forum Member

Yeeaaaahhh buddy! Knew I had to be on there, I'll be testing Feb 2, so probably flying out Jan 31 and leaving the 4th, so if anyone wants to hit up a couple mountains while I'm there...I'll be flying solo....and I'm gonna need a friend! Transport on me and my hella cool rental prius. Unless you're not a local then gas is on you...

Forum Member

so i applied right away and got to the confirmation page with my test time/date/ and so forth. but when i go to check my application status by SS, it tells me that i can apply as a walk in? Is anybody else having that kind of issue or by chance have they just not updated their records?

Goes without saying, but i'll be quite upset if something got screwed up. I guess that will be my problem though...

Forum Member

I didn't have that problem. I just checked with my social, and my test date appears.

However, when I click on the link that says "check application status" and put in my social, it says their records indicate I am not eligible to apply. ? I hope its a technical glitch from already applying this morning and being in their system.

I'd give them a call, hopefully you are still registered for a time.

Forum Member

Since you're from out of town make sure to get their early. I was a walk in a few times back and got there at 6:30 (I think) and was #7 or 8 in line. Luckily I still got in but from talking to the proctor it sounds like I was really lucky. I think the average is more like 2-3 no shows. I was fully expecting to make the drive to Denver the next day.

I would get their before 6 for sure and make sure you are at the right door. Per the website "The Webb building located at 201 W. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80202 does not open to the public until 7:00 a.m. however, “walk-in” applicants are not prohibited from arriving earlier. Due to the competitive nature of Fire/Police Testing, “walk-in” applicants who arrive prior to 7:00 a.m. must line up at the Court Place entrance of the Webb building (between 14th St. and 15th St.)."

Hope this helps and keep in mind my experience was from 4 years ago so things might have changed (the info from their site is current though), but I figured since you were out of town I would give you a heads up.

Best of luck!
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate the info. I will be there for about 3 or 4 days the week of Feb 6th. I was planning on 3, but I might extend it to 4 days, just to make sure I get in as a walk in. I'm flying in from FL, so I want to make sure I don't miss out on this. I will probably play it safe and get there around 5am the first day, and adjust it earlier the following day if I don't get in then. Thanks again for the info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguy85 View Post
    so i applied right away and got to the confirmation page with my test time/date/ and so forth. but when i go to check my application status by SS, it tells me that i can apply as a walk in? Is anybody else having that kind of issue or by chance have they just not updated their records?

Goes without saying, but i'll be quite upset if something got screwed up. I guess that will be my problem though...

I have the same problem and speaking w/ Karen in CS, they haven't updated the system yet. If you have the completed form, you should be good to go.... at least I hope.

Forum Member

thanks guys. I tried applying again and when i entered my SS is already had my test date on file so I'll assume I'm good to go.

Forum Member

I was blown away at how fast the slots filled up... Huge numbers!!! But I was lucky and got in, so Ill be seeing y'all there

Goodluck to everybody!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguy85 View Post

Same thing is happening to me too. Got the confirm page with date and time, but when I check it later with my SS# it doesn't pull it up. I was going to give it some time and then email to see what's up if it still continues.

Edit: Thanks for the info Acheateaux

Forum Member

Here is what I received from a member in the Civil Service Commision:

To check your status at this time you will have to enter you ssn#, click on the walk-in button, click on submit application and it should give you your test date.

Forum Member

To anyone coming in as a walk-in, testing is during the regular work week and parking in that area is a pain (due to competing with EVERYONE else who has to work in downtown Denver that day). Many of the parking lots don't open until 6 am. Some kick you out at 6 and you have to leave and then go back in. Make sure you know where you're going to leave your car.

I tested last time with them and was told by their proctors that the have anywhere from 2-12 walkins per day who get to test (I was walkin #6, with 5 others who got in after me that day).

Don't go on Mondays because everyone who has a full-time job takes Monday morning off to test.

Good luck to everybody.

Forum Member

Man i would love to work for DFD. Its tough being a Bronco fan over here in east Texas surrounded by cowboy fans...GO TEBOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Here is what I received from a member in the Civil Service Commision:

To check your status at this time you will have to enter you ssn#, click on the walk-in button, click on submit application and it should give you your test date.
    Thanks for posting. This worked for me and had all the same info that I had signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by ck1709 View Post
    Man i would love to work for DFD. Its tough being a Bronco fan over here in east Texas surrounded by cowboy fans...GO TEBOW!!
    A Bronco fan in Cowboy country has gotta be rough. But me not being a Bronco's fan, all the Tebow talk around here is getting old.

Thread Information