Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    Yeah, I wondered this also. Maybe prior experience was a big plus for this class? I am just EMT-B, myself.
    I get the feeling that having certs does not count a whole lot for DFD... Which makes sense, because they have their own academy for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Colo View Post
    I have just about every cert. you can imagine (im kind of a big deal ).... I think the rule of 3 is what got a lot of people...I guess it makes sense...at least trying to mix up the ranks for each academy...heard rumors of two more academies off our list
    That is very exciting!! Keep your heads up, fellas!

Forum Member

I thought rule of three applied to actual interviews and not Manager of safety picks....

Forum Member

Negative. See post #410.
    Denusa likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottpetty View Post
    Hey gang, hard to say. We have a lieutenant here that sits on the civil service and looks likeq they want to run a couple classes back to back, budget permitting.

Scott
    If they were to run academies back-to-back would that mean another academy in July-ish? Curious if anyone has heard rumors of a Summer academy.
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

If they were to run academies back-to-back would that mean another academy in July-ish? Curious if anyone has heard rumors of a Summer academy.
    According to the Department of Safety website, under firefighter jobs hiring projections, it states:

"March and September 2013 academies anticipated. Approximate 44 new hires."
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone on the inside have any info as to the overall direction that DFD is heading. From the looks of this round of testing, they may be taking more recruits than they have in the past years/testings. In other words is the DFD on the upswing in hirings? Just curious.

FYI, they have started progressing those of us further down the list so that's usually promising news that more academies are forthcoming. It seems like overkill for just a March and Sept academy, but it's purely speculation. What else would we do with our time while we wait, right?!

Stay safe
    Last edited by yjbrody; 02-04-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Default DFD academy test info

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    If anyone is interested I've got DFD's Chief McGrail's High Rise Ops book and there is a full chapter on their academy. If you guys want some details on what to expect I could post some stuff. Just let me know.
    I got a PM asking for some of this. This is info on the Academy's 1999 Broadway test. Just summarizing the key points and decided to post here in case anyone else wants the info:

Consists of 2 scenarios:

Fire-attack scenario-
    Recruits operate as 2 engine co.s and report to 27th floor to the staging area. Elevators are out. They need to bring with them all the basic equipment needed to initiate fire attack. For each recruit this includes PPE, SCBA, spare cylinder, 50 ft section of 2.5 inch, 1 force entry tool. Also, 1 DFD standpipe equipment kit per engine co. This task is usually timed, but not done on air. Upon reaching the 27th floor, they unload extra equipment and stage it. Then are assigned to advance a 150ft 2.5 inch handline from the standpipe on the 28th floor up and out onto the 29th floor in a simulated fire attack. This is also timed. Time is stopped when the charged hoseline enters the fire floor from the stairwell. In the past, recruit firefighters have been consistently able to get water on the simulated fire in about 15 mins from the time they left the lobby. Pretty awesome.

Truck co. assignment-
    Recruits are given the assignment to search the attack stairwell above the fire floor. Go on air just below 29th floor and climb to the top floor (44th) where they find an unconscious downed firefighter. They need to hook the downed FF up to the RIT air pack, and then carry the FF down below the fire floor. They are not allowed to drag the FF and also should complete the evolution before any member of the truck co. runs out of air.

There is also a water supply evolution, but it is far less taxing than the ones outlined above. If it seems like a lot, it absolutely is.

Hope this helps. Stay safe
    jkgjr1 likes this.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I do know that the city is planning on opening a new fire station in Lowry....that might have increased the number of anticipated hires

Anyone on the inside have any info as to the overall direction that DFD is heading. From the looks of this round of testing, they may be taking more recruits than they have in the past years/testings. In other words is the DFD on the upswing in hirings? Just curious.

FYI, they have started progressing those of us further down the list so that's usually promising news that more academies are forthcoming. It seems like overkill for just a March and Sept academy, but it's purely speculation. What else would we do with our time while we wait, right?!

Stay safe
    yjbrody and jkgjr1 like this.

Forum Member

For all out of state applicant ! I remember this question popped up couple times- where to stay? I just recently passed by DFD training grounds and saw an apartment complex like 5 mins away walking distance from the grounds. Did some research online: should be around $650 for 1 bed, and $700-800 for 2. Decent reviews on renting sites,negative reviews on google plus, place doesn't look too old. "Pinecrest Apartments homes", phone number 303 289 6167, office hours M-F 8-5. Looks like no pets allowed. I think if you're single and on a tight budget then that might be a place to consider. I didn't get the flyer because office was closed already.Hope it helps somebody!!!

P.S. I am not affiliated with that place in any way,lol.
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

Ladies and gents,
    Rumor on the inside at the firehouse is they will fast track the rest of the dec 2011 candidates in the top 50 to get top guys ready for March 15, or thereabouts. There is a boot at our house that just finished the last class and is well on his way to finishing probation on his dream career. Im only writing because I know its such an unknown as to when etc, and you dont want to be the guy always calling civil service to check on or harassing background to give to info Its a long and unknown process, but be fit, keep a clean record and dont give commish any reason with the "rule of three" to pass you up. There will potentially be 5 cadets that will take a portion of the class, but that can change. Good luck, and take it all with a grain of salt, as firehouse talk can get a bit nutty.

Scott
    Scott do you mind turning on your private messages? I have a question for you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denusa View Post
    Scott do you mind turning on your private messages? I have a question for you
    Denusa, its on.

Forum Member

I got a PM asking for some of this. This is info on the Academy's 1999 Broadway test. Just summarizing the key points and decided to post here in case anyone else wants the info:

Consists of 2 scenarios:

Fire-attack scenario-
    Recruits operate as 2 engine co.s and report to 27th floor to the staging area. Elevators are out. They need to bring with them all the basic equipment needed to initiate fire attack. For each recruit this includes PPE, SCBA, spare cylinder, 50 ft section of 2.5 inch, 1 force entry tool. Also, 1 DFD standpipe equipment kit per engine co. This task is usually timed, but not done on air. Upon reaching the 27th floor, they unload extra equipment and stage it. Then are assigned to advance a 150ft 2.5 inch handline from the standpipe on the 28th floor up and out onto the 29th floor in a simulated fire attack. This is also timed. Time is stopped when the charged hoseline enters the fire floor from the stairwell. In the past, recruit firefighters have been consistently able to get water on the simulated fire in about 15 mins from the time they left the lobby. Pretty awesome.

Truck co. assignment-
    Recruits are given the assignment to search the attack stairwell above the fire floor. Go on air just below 29th floor and climb to the top floor (44th) where they find an unconscious downed firefighter. They need to hook the downed FF up to the RIT air pack, and then carry the FF down below the fire floor. They are not allowed to drag the FF and also should complete the evolution before any member of the truck co. runs out of air.

There is also a water supply evolution, but it is far less taxing than the ones outlined above. If it seems like a lot, it absolutely is.

Hope this helps. Stay safe

This sounds awesome. Sign me up... haha
    yjbrody likes this.

Forum Member

Scott,

Do you know how the list develops from here? Now that one class has been chosen, the rest of the names remain on the list, but do we get re-ranked? Do ranks even matter at this point?

Also, would you be willing to explain the Rule of Three for us? I've read up on it and think I understand, but would appreciate an insider's take. Thanks again, you've been a huge help to everyone on here.

Forum Member

IMO, Anybody that is on this forum and would hold out on a department over a conditional offer of hire with another dept is crazy. Anybody can lateral once in and established. But to hold out for Denver over the Springs, is a huge mistake. Denver is great, but a paid career dept is what you should desire. The process is tough, as you all know, and reading your posts brings back memories, and it is a tough process, more mentally than anything. Like I stated a few weeks ago, the rule of three is a Denver thing, and you will never get an answer why you were passed up. Take the opportunity and keep testing. The eligibility numbers mean nothing. I have ridden for the last 5 years next to a guy in my class that was 130 spots further down the list. As far as credentials, the only thing that helps at all is previous full time career. I came from LAFD and I know the last class had 2 LAFD guys. It all comes down in the interview to reasoning, teamwork, reliability and equality. Stay strong and see ya downtown. Oh yah, When you make it, dont show up to the Tower or your 1st house with an N6A. If you dont know what this is, your safe. If you know, dont do it. Just a little inside heads up. Good luck and keep positive

Scott

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkgjr1 View Post
    Scott,

Do you know how the list develops from here? Now that one class has been chosen, the rest of the names remain on the list, but do we get re-ranked? Do ranks even matter at this point?

Also, would you be willing to explain the Rule of Three for us? I've read up on it and think I understand, but would appreciate an insider's take. Thanks again, you've been a huge help to everyone on here.
    Jkgrl. Like your persistence. Basically, Im not a Commissioner, but, the rule of three is a way for the Manager of Safety to be handed 3 apps that have passed all the tests. They can then review the backgrounds and all other pertinent parts of the packet and toss out 2. It makes no difference of rankings or scores in any of the process. If an app is certified, all that info is not important. Once your passed over, you may be eligible for the next round, but they also pull up enough apps to cover the next class, so your invisible basically. Then they can pass a couple and select you, or not. Its a crazy process and 3 of my buddies never made it past that, till the next test, and they made it on. Keep clean and stay strong. Thats all that matters.
    Once again, all info is from someone who went through it and has known many as well, but is still coming from someone that doesn't wear a suit.

Scott
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

Jkgrl. Like your persistence. Basically, Im not a Commissioner, but, the rule of three is a way for the Manager of Safety to be handed 3 apps that have passed all the tests. They can then review the backgrounds and all other pertinent parts of the packet and toss out 2. It makes no difference of rankings or scores in any of the process. If an app is certified, all that info is not important. Once your passed over, you may be eligible for the next round, but they also pull up enough apps to cover the next class, so your invisible basically. Then they can pass a couple and select you, or not. Its a crazy process and 3 of my buddies never made it past that, till the next test, and they made it on. Keep clean and stay strong. Thats all that matters.
    Once again, all info is from someone who went through it and has known many as well, but is still coming from someone that doesn't wear a suit.

Scott
    This is great to know, thank you for the insight Scott.

Hope to see you out there sometime!

Forum Member

Thank you for the info as well Scott.

Although this does reinforce my fears that I might get passed over again in the future since I am a higher rank, it's nice to know how it works. I get the bad feeling that if you are passed over once you might not have a chance when your file is re-reviewed for the next academy.....think this is likely?

Forum Member

Thank you for the info as well Scott.

Although this does reinforce my fears that I might get passed over again in the future since I am a higher rank, it's nice to know how it works. I get the bad feeling that if you are passed over once you might not have a chance when your file is re-reviewed for the next academy.....think this is likely?
    Colo, As I stated you get passed over for a "reason", civil service speaking, that you will never know. And by stating that each class they bring in more than enough people to cover it and its no guarantee that your "rule of three" pass over will be better than the 2 others your paired with next. It is the worst part of DFD, by far. And then the next thing you know, they test again and its all thrown out. They have no shortage of competition, as you all know. Not sure if this helps, but like I originally posted, when I was hired, there was no forum to hang out on and talk with potentially a future company member. Wish I had the answers.

Scott
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

Again, thanks for the insight. It would be an absolute dream come true to make it on DFD so it's hard not to put extreme pressure on myself to make it (and like you said it's a mystery at this stage). Best place to work...that's all I've heard from every member....keeping fingers crossed.

Forum Member

Scott,
    For those of us that have been fortunate to continue on in the process, how does the interview process go? How many do they interview for the positions available? Being from the Los Angeles area myself like you were, do they look down on out of state applicants?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kypnonsequitur View Post
    Scott,
    For those of us that have been fortunate to continue on in the process, how does the interview process go? How many do they interview for the positions available? Being from the Los Angeles area myself like you were, do they look down on out of state applicants?
    Good luck and congrats on the process. They can take as many apps as they feel needed to cover the additional classes. If they want 22, meaning 3-5 cadets, They would interview probably 40, with the hopes of covering interviews for additional classes or people that decline.
    And coming from California, if your not coming from another large paid dept, good luck. They dont love us, but if you show up knowing every major street, districts, staffing, companies and pertinent FD stats, your good to go.

Scott

Forum Member

Have you ever heard of, or work with, guys being passed over for the first academy but then making it on the next one?

Forum Member

Very interesting. Thanks, Scott. That's how I understood Rule of Three. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm waiting to hear about Co.Springs Final offer and would be thrilled to get on down there. Still, cautiously optimistic that Denver is still an option down the road, after being passed over this time around. Thanks again!

Forum Member

oooor not. fml

Forum Member

Have you ever heard of, or work with, guys being passed over for the first academy but then making it on the next one?
    Absolutely.. To be certified takes a lot o tome and money for the city, so by no means are they throwing you out of the process. You need your overall info to be better then the next two on the next selection process, and for the hiring to continue. With the city coming off a "hiring freeze" sorta speak, and the process of so few selected to take the tests, then they will hunt through all certified apps and make choices and to select the "best" in their eyes. Hope for a couple more classes before 2014. Keep prepared and let it take its course.

Scott
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Thread Information