Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Forum Member

Well that's a big sigh of relief. I keep miss-timing when you are on the forum to ask questions! Thank you for the information once again...this process is pretty unique and it helps to have someone on the inside shed some light on what's going on. Take care.

Forum Member

I wonder what the lowest rank number is that has ever been hired? I mean after the initial test. 200, 250? Any one have a clue?

Also, is 44 a reasonable amount of guys to hire? Is that number normal, high, or low?
    Last edited by ffjjohn; 02-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Forum Member

Holy crap! An actual guy on with the dept. in question and giving us real answers. You're about to get really popular around here Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottpetty View Post
    The eligibility numbers mean nothing. I have ridden for the last 5 years next to a guy in my class that was 130 spots further down the list.
    Hey, how high up do you know that they've gone in the past? You said that it doesn't really mean anything, but just curious when you know if you are in the range or outside of it. In the past couple of times testing I was 90 and 166 and got to the point that some of these guys are at where they got passed over for the oral board and didn't progress. Just curious if you know where guys in your academy's ranks fell. Thanks for all the info and insight. It really helps knowing the ins and outs of the entire process.

Thanks in advance and stay safe

Edit: whoops, repeat question. sorry
    Last edited by yjbrody; 02-05-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: dumbness
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Scott,
    Man, if this is ex LAFD scott, then Im stoked. If you were at Hodgkins for the Truck company operations last month, than we met. Dude, you and a chain saw are a nice combo. Also, the clinic you did with DFD and Aurora on aggressive ops was also well talked about. Anyway, wrong post, but, I have interview next week as several of the other boys, or girls on here do as well. Got the city memorized and going in strong. I sure hope to run into you if all goes well. LAFD is great, as you know, but can't beat the state of Colorado and DFD rocks. I think you were district 2, lodo somewhere?? Anyway, all Im hoping is to land a technician spot on a tower or truck, unless you have to be 6'5, haha. We can't all be that but thanks for all the good words to the boys. Good times and be safe. Sorry for poaching the post, but it is kinda dfd related. Mikey B.

Forum Member

Anyone know what kind of stuff the DFD orals entail? My CSFD panel interview was pretty straight-forward interview questions, not really any knowledge-based stuff. Does DFD ask department-based stuff and expect you to know the city and such? I'm not interviewing, just a curiosity.

Forum Member

If you dont know every District, apparatus, city borders, chief, chain of command, and basic structure of the DFD, then you are not desirable for the city. DFD is the most basic big city department to get hired on anywhere. No knowledge of the fire service is needed, but knowledge of life skills and the city you want a career from is pretty important. All info can be gained from visiting houses or internet. As far as a March academy, supposedly they are interviewing 38 for 18-20 spots. They have 1-2 cadets eligible, whether they go or not, who knows. They also have 2 career guys showing up. An Aurora and an LAFD, supposedly.
    Mikey B, TF15?? I believe. Nice to hear your coming to town. My email is in your pm.

Scott

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottpetty View Post
    If you dont know every District, apparatus, city borders, chief, chain of command, and basic structure of the DFD, then you are not desirable for the city. DFD is the most basic big city department to get hired on anywhere. No knowledge of the fire service is needed, but knowledge of life skills and the city you want a career from is pretty important. All info can be gained from visiting houses or internet. As far as a March academy, supposedly they are interviewing 38 for 18-20 spots. They have 1-2 cadets eligible, whether they go or not, who knows. They also have 2 career guys showing up. An Aurora and an LAFD, supposedly.
    Mikey B, TF15?? I believe. Nice to hear your coming to town. My email is in your pm.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. Good to know. I haven't been in Denver long, so I'll be sure to read up some more, in case DFD becomes an option later this year or further down the road. Much appreciated.

Forum Member

Info from an insider: March is going to have 19 civilians and 1 cadet. Next academy looks like October with another 20.

Say "thank you" to DFD folks for hooking us up with the info!
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

Interview done! Cross my finger that I get the call to continue.
    jkgjr1 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireCO View Post
    Interview done! Cross my finger that I get the call to continue.
    Goodluck to you!
    yjbrody likes this.

Forum Member

Did everybody receive a packet after the interview?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireCO View Post
    Did everybody receive a packet after the interview?
    Turn your pm's on or pm me.

Forum Member

I sent you a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFDNY444 View Post
    Turn your pm's on or pm me.

Forum Member

I had the interview and did not receive a packet. What was in it if you don't mind me asking? Being out of state I had a packet mailed earlier with medical and drug test information.

Forum Member

Sounds like you got the packet the local guys got, we just have our med and phyc testing next week.

Quote Originally Posted by kypnonsequitur View Post
    I had the interview and did not receive a packet. What was in it if you don't mind me asking? Being out of state I had a packet mailed earlier with medical and drug test information.

Forum Member

Jeff told me right before my interview he was hoping to get us the the conditional offers out by 1ish tomorrow. Stressful times my friends haha. Time to snowboard all morning, check my phone in the afternoon hopefully with some good news.
    coheed85 likes this.

Forum Member

Has anyone received a call yet?

Forum Member

according to my sources he called some folks with conditional offers! It was a late decision so if you didnt get the call you might still have a chance for it
    Last edited by Denusa; 02-15-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Forum Member

I was in the last class. I want to first say congratulations to everyone who has made it this far into the process you are almost there!!! I know how long and painful this process has been!! I know they gave out conditionals this afternoon. If you want to know anything about how the academy was just send me a PM. Again congratulations! You will have an awesome time! Great training staff out there!!!
    ColoradoDave likes this.

Forum Member

Can you turn your PM's on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDen303 View Post
    I was in the last class. I want to first say congratulations to everyone who has made it this far into the process you are almost there!!! I know how long and painful this process has been!! I know they gave out conditionals this afternoon. If you want to know anything about how the academy was just send me a PM. Again congratulations! You will have an awesome time! Great training staff out there!!!

Forum Member

No luck for me. Didn't get a call either way yesterday, so I guess that ship has sailed. Congratulations everyone. It's been a long year, you guys deserve it.

Anyone know, just for my own curiosity, if getting passed on after the interview is the end of the road, or bodes well for the next academy? I want to keep my hopes up for the next one if it is reasonable to do so. Has anyone heard of an applicant who missed the first interview, and got in for the next academy?
    Last edited by DenvFire; 02-17-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DenvFire View Post
    No luck for me. Didn't get a call either way yesterday, so I guess that ship has sailed. Congratulations everyone. It's been a long year, you guys deserve it.

Anyone know, just for my own curiosity, if getting passed on after the interview is the end of the road, or bodes well for the next academy? I want to keep my hopes up for the next one if it is reasonable to do so. Has anyone heard of an applicant who missed the first interview, and got in for the next academy?
    i know a guy who failed first academy's interview but hired for next one

Forum Member

Should be on now. If you get passed over for the first academy it doesn't mean you are out. You can still get hired for the next academy. You are still in the eligibility roster until the list expires. I know a buddy of mine who got passed over a couple times before getting hired. Just stay clean and continue to add qualifications to your background. Hang in there!
    Last edited by CDen303; 02-18-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when our eligibility list expires? Is it September 2014?

Forum Member

I think our list is 2years from nov 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo View Post
    Does anyone know when our eligibility list expires? Is it September 2014?

Thread Information