Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Its all walk in now so you have to roll the dice and see if you get a spot at the test.

-codave
    Sir, thank you for the response. It is definitely a gamble worth playing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Does anyone know what is going to be on the test or how it will be formatted?
    I will be attempting to walk-in next week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Does anyone know what is going to be on the test or how it will be formatted?
    I will be attempting to walk-in next week, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Computer based test. If you have taken the DRCOG test, I was told by a member of the last Denver academy that it is very similar.

MembersZone Subscriber

How was the test?? Any walk-ins make it in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Since you're from out of town make sure to get their early. I was a walk in a few times back and got there at 6:30 (I think) and was #7 or 8 in line. Luckily I still got in but from talking to the proctor it sounds like I was really lucky. I think the average is more like 2-3 no shows. I was fully expecting to make the drive to Denver the next day.
    I will have three days out there to get my testing done. I know you suggested not going on Monday. Do you think I would have better chances on Tue, Wed, Thurs, or Wed, Thurs, Fri? Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I walked in on the first day and was able to test. The first guy showed up at 3am! There were a lot of no shows and 16 walk-ins were able to test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I will have three days out there to get my testing done. I know you suggested not going on Monday. Do you think I would have better chances on Tue, Wed, Thurs, or Wed, Thurs, Fri? Thanks again.
    It's just a crap shoot man. I was simply trying to throw some best guesses if I needed to do the walkin myself (I still think the Mon after superbowl is a good bet). If you have 3 days go as early as you think you need to for the first day and if that doesn't get you in go a little earlier the next. If that doesn't work, then you make damn sure that you are that 3am guy and first in line.

Miramar had no probs. Crazy that 16 people took the time to be one of the first 1400 to schedule a slot in that 5 min window that it took to fill up and then not show.

Good luck testing everyone.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    It's just a crap shoot man. I was simply trying to throw some best guesses if I needed to do the walkin myself (I still think the Mon after superbowl is a good bet). If you have 3 days go as early as you think you need to for the first day and if that doesn't get you in go a little earlier the next. If that doesn't work, then you make damn sure that you are that 3am guy and first in line.

Thanks for the advice. You actually bring up a good point. I didn't realize the monday I was going out there was the day after the superbowl. That might be a great day to go. Thanks again

Forum Member

I went as a walk in today (Monday) and I got in. I arrived at 5:45 and was #5 in line, just to give you guys a gage. Obviously each day is different, but today, about 20 were in line and 11 got in. Also, I was told that there are always 2 walk ins admitted, they always have two open computers. They told me that on average, the first 12 get in.

I recommend planning on getting there at 5:30 to ensure a spot. They say you have to wait in line outside, so I dressed warm, but they let us wait inside.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. Extremely helpful! Flying in tomorrow, and hoping to get in to test Wednesday morning. I'm probs gunna show up at 4, if I can get my lazy but out of bed that early...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdderr12 View Post
    Also, I was told that there are always 2 walk ins admitted, they always have two open computers.
    That's a good point. I think they have 2 spare stations in case they have problems with the primary stations so they don't have to turn anyone that scheduled a slot away. I'm guessing that most days they can free those up for walkins if they don't have any probs.

Does anyone else think that an average of 10 (12 minus the 2 backup testing stations) walkins is high for people going through all the trouble to schedule but then not test?
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

It is for sure high...I would agree. I think alot of people forget by chance or show up late. Not like it one single big test day...Kind of a long process for the written.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Scheduling for the test is the easy part. I'd guess that a lot of people sign up from out of town, then change their minds. Also, in this economy, I imagine there's a good amount of people that just apply to apply since the requirements are relativey low (no degree, etc). In those instances, they may change their minds about firefighting, get another lead, etc.

Also, I was signed up for a test date. I got in before the slots were taken, counted down for when they opened it up so I'd be ready, etc. Then, I looked into my status elsewhere, and read that I was ineligable to apply. I already had a confirmed test date and acceptance letter to test, but when I called they said I lost my spot because of a technicality. Evidentally, during the last hiring period, I applied and didn't show, so I owed $25. I still don't understand how that happed....but whatever. I paid the money, but was kicked out of my spot, hence the walk in situation. I was told that there are a lot of guys that experienced that same thing, so, my original test spot, along with theirs, are all open now.

Forum Member

Good point Tipys. If you show up one minute late, you are out. Another reason why spots may be open each day.

Forum Member

For those of you flying out, how many days are you giving yourself? I'm thinking 3 days to play it safe.

Forum Member

Went in on Monday as a walk-in, got in luckily. There were about 17 walk-ins in all, and one person got turned away for being late. So my advice to those who have an appointment, show up early, don't know why you would chance it anyway. As for what time to show up, I arrived at the building around 4:45 and I was the seventh guy in line (we got to be inside thankfully, it was freezing). The first guy showed up at 2:30, a little ridiculous if you ask me, but hey, he was guaranteed a spot for the test. The first two spots are going to get spots, then you have to wait and see if there are any cancels, then you hope for people not to show up. In our case, three did not. Good luck to those testing, dress warm if you are a walk-in, but they might let you wait inside.

Forum Member

And before I forget, for the 17 walk-ins, 10 got in.

Forum Member

How long was the test itself?

Forum Member

they say to give it at least 3-4 hours, but I say its more like 2 if that. Depends how you test, they give you more time than needed so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried about the time because of a flight, i would just go off thinking it might take you 3 hours just to be safe, you never know, but I doubt it will take that long.

Forum Member

hey guys -

thanks for the advice on the logistics of getting up there. ended up staying at a hotel nearby and taking the shuttle to the testing site.

i agree with the test time thoughts somebody previously posted. i planned my flight thinking it would be a 4 hour test but i was done in less than 2 hours. ended up spending some quality time at DIA. Also, I noticed about 7 empty computers when I was there...but there was also a lot of snow that day and traffic was supposedly miserable. I just dont get how somebody can be on top of the application time and then just NOT show up for the test and owe 25 bucks. Oh well, more for me and you right?

Good luck to everybody in the process. Hopefully I'll see Denver again in the summertime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Showing up at 2:30 isn't ridiculous, if you ask me. As competitive as this field is, it shows determination and dedication. Better to be sure than lucky....

Forum Member

whatever floats your boat man, just saying, I had two and a half more hours sleep and probably did better on the test because of rest. You are not going to test well if you have been up since two and take a test at 7:30. Dedication or not, its just not that smart, but go ahead, camp out for a week

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLOReserve View Post
    whatever floats your boat man, just saying, I had two and a half more hours sleep and probably did better on the test because of rest. You are not going to test well if you have been up since two and take a test at 7:30. Dedication or not, its just not that smart, but go ahead, camp out for a week

You say that yet you have zero idea when he went to bed.

I was awake for over 24 hours when I took the DRCOG. Still scored at 91. I am certain I scored higher then many that had full nights of sleep.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Alright, didn't mean to offend anyone. Let's just get back to giving advice, that's all I was originally wanted to do. Like I said before, getting early as a walk in is key, since people are showing up early, especially if you have one day the best thing to do is be as early as possible. Good luck to those still trying to test!

Forum Member

I will be going in February. I live in MA, but I figured if I fly out for 5 days, I'm bound to get a walk-in on one day, hopefully, if I wait outside at like 0400. I still have yet to figure out what hotel to stay at for all 5 days. Any suggestions? Btw, for those of you who took the test, is it general knowledge, fire academy knowledge, or is it based on memorization skills, etc.?

Thread Information