Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Forum Member

Default Denver Fire Dept Hiring ...

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-18-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Forum Member

Yessir. Just an FYI, according to numbers I saw in a fire mag recently Denver isn't really interested in medics. Magazine stated 0 P's on the dept. I find that 0 number hard to believe seeing how most other depts are trending towards having more but just figured I would mention it if you are expecting to use those skills or if you really enjoy that aspect of the job. Maybe some DFD guys can chime in hopefully with some specifics, I could be way off.

Not saying it won't help, just saying it will count toward more at other depts- Aurora, Westminster, SM, WM, Littleton.

There is another thread on here from last years testing. Check it out if you want to know what to expect. Good luck!

Edit: Not sure if I get it, but how is a longer waiting period of time for a DUI better for you?
    Last edited by yjbrody; 10-28-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Self Deleted

Forum Member

Know that this is a "big city" compared to where I'm from but how many fire calls per year is the average in Denver. And from the city website applications will start in November correct?

Forum Member

Having your medic or any fire certs won't help you at all get on with DFD. They do have some medics on their department who work for other services part time but when working for DFD they are only allowed to function at the Basic level. Denver Paramedics won't be going away any time soon so don't plan on practicing as a paramedic if you get hired by the fire dept.

Forum Member

Denver is an amazing department, good luck to all who apply

Forum Member

Went to Denver's website, says they are not hiring... anyone have a link to where I can sign up or idea when they will open up for registering? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeED View Post
    Went to Denver's website, says they are not hiring... anyone have a link to where I can sign up or idea when they will open up for registering? Thanks
    November 28th
    http://www.denvergov.org/recruit/Emp...7/Default.aspx

Forum Member

70k a year, wow

Forum Member

Been waiting for Denver to open up.

And yes DFD is an all Basic department.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

I have a friend who is a firefighter in Denver, he says that paramedics are handled by a completely separate organization. So, like guys have said here, it sounds like a paramedic isn't necessary. It can't hurt, but it will go a lot farther at other departments.

I have also been waiting for Denver to open up. My wife's family is in Colorado Springs and she is eager to get back. I have been a reserve firefighter in Tennessee for about 9 months now, I've gotten a lot of training and am working on completing my firefighter 1 cert. I also work as an EMT and have that national cert. I'm still a bit nervous about not having enough qualifications to get hired....(i.e. firefighter 2) I know they SAY you only need a high school diploma, but when a thousand guys apply for 20 positions (or whatever it is this time) they are going to pick the guys with the most credentials.

Anyone know how many they are hiring?

Forum Member

Self Deleted

Forum Member

aharris, thank you so much for sharing this!!!

Pretty intense to take a test before you can even apply, I'll have to fly in for that too...any idea how many they are going to be hiring?

Forum Member

Self Deleted
    Last edited by arharris83; 02-18-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Forum Member

I just read everything on their website. It's not as stringent as I thought. The exam that you have to take before you apply basically takes the place of the exam you have to take AFTER you send in an application at other depts. So, if you do well on the exam, they invite you to apply. You send in a CPAT, then if they like what they see, oral interviews are in April. The academy starts in August.

There are two dates to take the exam, one in two weeks and one Dec. 3. You have to sign up and pay, so anyone interested, make sure you do so before the slots are full.

aharris, I'm sure you saw, but they PREFER someone with an EMT-P, so you definitely have a leg up. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdderr12 View Post
    I know they SAY you only need a high school diploma, but when a thousand guys apply for 20 positions (or whatever it is this time) they are going to pick the guys with the most credentials.

Anyone know how many they are hiring?
    I wouldn't worry about credentials/certs. What I have heard straight from them is they like experience (>1 year vol or paid- the more the better) and military time.

And as far as how many... I don't think they even know that. Times have been rough in Denver, no layoffs thankfully, but hiring has been scaled way back.

You guys want to make this the official 2011 DFD testing thread or should we start another since this one got off onto South Metro a bit?

Forum Member

Since South Metro prefers paramedics, and chances are, of the hundreds that apply, many will have their paramedics, is it worth applying if I only have my EMT? (And volunteer experience)

I am unfamiliar with these threads, but I think since Metro and Denver are next door, it's OK to discuss both in the same thread.

Forum Member

So....back to Denver...anyone know how many they are hiring? I see that in the past, they hired 24; 8 spots reserved for some cadet class (?). I wonder if they are hiring about that amount now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most likely two classes of 24 next year. With another 2 in 2013.

What other questions about Denver fire?

MembersZone Subscriber

how is the overall process? is denver good with out of towners? and do they hire out of towners or do they like to take the locals?
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Default DFD testing

Registration for 1400 testing slots filled up in 10 mins. Wow!!

Walk-ins still welcome. For info and to sign up go here.

Good luck to everyone testing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody View Post
    Registration for 1400 testing slots filled up in 10 mins. Wow!!

Walk-ins still welcome. For info and to sign up go here.

Good luck to everyone testing.
    Put in my app this morning. All the testing slots were full by the time my app got through. I'll be out there for a week in Feb. I'll just try to do a walk in every day and keep my fingers crossed.

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't know there was a limit. I should have skipped class this morning!
    What time do you think I should show up if I want to "walk-in"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Put in my app this morning. All the testing slots were full by the time my app got through. I'll be out there for a week in Feb. I'll just try to do a walk in every day and keep my fingers crossed.
    Since you're from out of town make sure to get their early. I was a walk in a few times back and got there at 6:30 (I think) and was #7 or 8 in line. Luckily I still got in but from talking to the proctor it sounds like I was really lucky. I think the average is more like 2-3 no shows. I was fully expecting to make the drive to Denver the next day.

I would get their before 6 for sure and make sure you are at the right door. Per the website "The Webb building located at 201 W. Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80202 does not open to the public until 7:00 a.m. however, “walk-in” applicants are not prohibited from arriving earlier. Due to the competitive nature of Fire/Police Testing, “walk-in” applicants who arrive prior to 7:00 a.m. must line up at the Court Place entrance of the Webb building (between 14th St. and 15th St.)."

Hope this helps and keep in mind my experience was from 4 years ago so things might have changed (the info from their site is current though), but I figured since you were out of town I would give you a heads up.

Best of luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I didn't know there was a limit. I should have skipped class this morning!
    What time do you think I should show up if I want to "walk-in"?
    Yeah, I've seen different numbers (1400-1500), but according to their site it's 34 computer stations x 41 testing days= just under 1400 testing. Not bad odds for a big dept.

See post above for advice for walkins. Also look for days that would be most likely to have people no show: snow days are good ones but not a sure thing (remember it's Colorado and most people are used to the white stuff but it could delay those flying/driving in), day after valentines, monday after Superbowl, you get the idea...

Best of luck.

Thread Information