MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer Reimbursement Question

I plan on calling but figured I would bounce this question off the forum. I tend to get better answers here anyway. I am managing a safer hiring grant. My issue is reimbursement for our portion of the pension contribution. The state bills the town retroactively. The pension bill for the 4 positions we have funded will not be received until 2014. Yes, I know that is idiotic, but we have no control over what the state does. That being said, the grant will be done and closed out by the time we get a pension payment bill for the 4 safer firefighters. I can calculate the pension payment on the current day percentage, but that is bound to go up by the time we receive the actual bill for the 4 firefighters. The state doesn't even know what the percentage of payment will be in 2013 or 2014 as of yet. If we bill at the present day rate, we will be responsible for the difference. Has anyone handled or encountered this issue before? I imagine we will have to estimate at present day and eat the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    I plan on calling but figured I would bounce this question off the forum. I tend to get better answers here anyway. I am managing a safer hiring grant. My issue is reimbursement for our portion of the pension contribution. The state bills the town retroactively. The pension bill for the 4 positions we have funded will not be received until 2014. Yes, I know that is idiotic, but we have no control over what the state does. That being said, the grant will be done and closed out by the time we get a pension payment bill for the 4 safer firefighters. I can calculate the pension payment on the current day percentage, but that is bound to go up by the time we receive the actual bill for the 4 firefighters. The state doesn't even know what the percentage of payment will be in 2013 or 2014 as of yet. If we bill at the present day rate, we will be responsible for the difference. Has anyone handled or encountered this issue before? I imagine we will have to estimate at present day and eat the difference.
    Unless there is someone in here that actually works for OMB answering this question for you, IMHO you should pose this question, in writiing not just a phone call, to Cathie Patterson the Branch Chief at AFG. This would not be something I would want to "risk" that I have been given correct information for; I would certainly want a written response from AFG's highest level in my file just in case the auditors come around within the next 4-5 years.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

I was basically advised today by my grant contact (not Cathie Patterson) that because the State of New Jersey won't provide an actual bill for our pension obligation for our SAFER firefighters until 2014 (outside the period of performance) that the pension obligation will not be eligible for reimbursement. How can this possibly be the case? I find it hard to believe that the larger cities that took millions of dollars are aware that the hundreds, if not millions of dollars in pension obligations owed for SAFER firefighters are going to be on their dime. Personally, for my department we are talking between 100 and 150 thousand dollars. I cannot believe that I am the only grantee in the history of time (at least in New Jersey) with this issue. At the very least I can't understand why the pension obligation couldn't be estimated at the current rate, given the fact that in 2014 it will without doubt be much higher and we would have to make up the difference. Another option would be an extension of the period of performance I suppose. Has anyone ever dealt with a SAFER grant in New Jersey?
    Last edited by wtfd2940; 11-17-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Forum Member

I am dealing with the same problem. I sent you an email.

Thread Information