Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tumwater, WA (bates)

Just noticed that they are going to run a Bates test for Tumwater, WA.

http://www.bates.ctc.edu/firefighter...20v3%20(2).pdf

Good luck!

Forum Member

Thanks for posting this.

I've never tested with Bates before. Is there anything I need to know about it?

Forum Member

$75 testing fee and they use the FireTeam test.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

November 18 is coming up really fast guys - get your applications in.

I sent mine today. I live in Renton so this would be an absolutely brutal commute...but I have to try.

Forum Member

Post office sent my application back for not enough postage. Our office admin wasn't quite right after weighing it. Sad, but for the best I suppose. The commute would've been tough. Still, I need the testing and interview experience.
    Last edited by Hopeful_FF; 11-18-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Forum Member

I was amazed the the applications were only being accepted for 18 day! i heard they received fewer applicants than expected. I guess the application fee, plus the $125.00 for the CPAT turned people off. The majority of people in the area live closer to seattle.

I turned in my application and I'm also attending bates college EMT program right now. also I'm a 5 year Veteran of the Army, so I receive 10 point preference.

I hope that I will get one of the 6 openings!
    Last edited by 911brute; 12-01-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 911brute View Post
    I was amazed the the applications were only being accepted for 18 day! i heard they received fewer applicants than expected. I guess the application fee, plus the $125.00 for the CPAT turned people off. The majority of people in the area live closer to seattle.

I turned in my application and I'm also attending bates college EMT program right now. also I'm a 5 year Veteran of the Army, so I receive 10 point preference.

I feel confident that I will get one of the 6 openings.
    Oh yeah????

Forum Member

I'm confident, not cocky.. big difference.. When you want something bad enough you will do what it takes to achieve it.

Forum Member

The way I read it, if you have a current CPAT (within 6 months) from pst, ntn, or bates you dont need to pay the $125.00 for a new one. That is the case right?

So 911brute, you heard they were getting less applications than they expected. How many were you told. I have a friend in the Bates Fire Academy right now, apparrently some Tumwater FF's told him 2 weeks ago they were expecting 1000.

KTF
    Forum Member

I feel confident that I will get one of the 6 openings.
    Its both lateral and Entry level right, so maybe three of each? Preference points help but how are you at the fireteam test? Gotta kick *** at the HR video part to score high. I personally think having fire experience makes people score lower in that part. Took me 6 times taking that test until I got over a 89% with the 70/30 scoring. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    Its both lateral and Entry level right, so maybe three of each? Preference points help but how are you at the fireteam test? Gotta kick *** at the HR video part to score high. I personally think having fire experience makes people score lower in that part. Took me 6 times taking that test until I got over a 89% with the 70/30 scoring. Good luck to all.
    I think I've taken it 3 times and I'm sitting on an 87. I've actually been hurt by the mechanical more than the HR, which I think is really odd. Maybe I just missed something along the way.

87 is about the cutoff point though. I didn't make Renton's invite, but I did make Bothell's. Still have to improve.

MembersZone Subscriber

I talked to a Tumwater F/F from what i know 700-800 applied.

Forum Member

I'm confident, not cocky.. big difference.. When you want something bad enough you will do what it takes to achieve it.
    Welcome to the fight brute. This is a marathon, not a sprint. A little advice:

1) Get into a Junior College to continue your education, and pay your bills with the GI Bill. ENROLL FOR JANUARY SEMESTER. DON'T FLUNK OUT. This will give you enough cash to make it two years down the road.
    2) Finish your EMT-B.
    3) Join a Cross Fit Gym. You'll find a lot of ex-service members and FFs go there. Will keep your spirits up when you hit the bumps (like your first Fire Test score).
    4) Get a PT job with someone that can give a solid reference (something that shows you can plug into society and are over your service stress).
    5) Start taking every FF test you can in a two state area.
    6) Capt Bob and Chief Lepore are your best buddies. Listen to them carefully.
    7) Get rid of the attitude as soon as you can... It will get crushed out of you sooner or later... may as well be sooner.
    8) Don't fill the forum with crap.... be a contributor....
    9) Understand that there are very highly qualified, and highly skilled competitors (many veterans) in the field. Understand that they will smoke you in your first two years. THEY ARE ALREADY AT #9, AND YOU HAVE YET TO START #1.
    10) Don't expect any more breaks from guys like me.

Good luck.

Thank you for your service.
    Last edited by JD2011; 11-30-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Forum Member

JD2011- Only in response to you: I have never seen someone lay out the steps so perfectly as you just have. None of those individually will land you "the badge", but following a path as the one you layed out will keep you at the top of the tough competition. That's the stuff that keeps me going everyday. This is not a job you walk into or get a lucky reference (although connections are always great). You absolutely have to keep a positive and humbling attitude. Just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement even if not intended!

Forum Member

well I'm going to do my best..I know i don't have an attitude in a negative way. I'll try as many times as needed to become a FF.....

If there are 7 applicants or 7 million,, my goal is to be as high up on the list as I can.

I appreciate the advice..Im sorry if I came off cocky. I'm going to enroll in the next bates fire academy if they have open slots. I'm here to learn, and improve and someday become a FF.

No harm intended.
    Last edited by 911brute; 12-01-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Heard from the proctor that less than 600 applied. They had over 80 no shows on Saturday. Should see our scores in 2 weeks, but with the holiday I would assume they will be delayed.

Forum Member

Will the exam be graded on a 70% human relations and 30% mechanical, with math and reading pass/fail?

KTF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by piphill View Post
    Will the exam be graded on a 70% human relations and 30% mechanical, with math and reading pass/fail?
    Yep, thats what they had in there job annoucement. So again it mostly comes down to the HR questions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    Yep, thats what they had in there job annoucement. So again it mostly comes down to the HR questions.
    KTF: what was your scores from NTN?....if you don't mine me asking.

Thread Information