Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Class A Uniforms

Our department is looking to purchase Class A dress uniforms and we have a few questions. We have the firefighter design and chief and AC design (gold buttons, etc) taken care of but we are unsure of what to do with the training officer. We are a small rural department. Should we do gold buttons and collar brass as with the chiefs (gold, respective bugles) or silver buttons and collar brass. We designate him as a training officer in general, not a training captain or LT. Also do you all do sleeve insignia, etc? Thanks in advance for the info!
    FF II, EMT, Fire Instructor I, Fire Officer I

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
    Our department is looking to purchase Class A dress uniforms and we have a few questions. We have the firefighter design and chief and AC design (gold buttons, etc) taken care of but we are unsure of what to do with the training officer. We are a small rural department. Should we do gold buttons and collar brass as with the chiefs (gold, respective bugles) or silver buttons and collar brass. We designate him as a training officer in general, not a training captain or LT. Also do you all do sleeve insignia, etc? Thanks in advance for the info!
    Your training officer should hold rank. Otherwise, why is he an officer?

On our coats we use the bar ensignia to designate rank (1 bar- LT, 2 bars- Capt., etc.) and the small maltese crosses to designate 5 years of service each.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input. Do you use silver for you LTs and CPTs on coat buttons and collar insignia? I have seen it both ways.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. Do you use silver for you LTs and CPTs on coat buttons and collar insignia? I have seen it both ways.
    This is hopefully not going to be taken insultingly but if your a small rural department my guess is that you change officers at least once every few years. So why would you go all the way and buy class A uniforms that are fitted for your current officers when you could just get the collar brass and badges that can be switched around rather than purchasing new uniforms every time you elect or change around officers?

Lieutenant and above get gold badges, brass and name plates. Firefighters get silver.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I appreciate all of the info. We have a bit of both. Our officers are appointed through election but keep their rank unless they quit the department or are voted out by members in a special election. We have had our chief for 15 years but the AC has been in his position for 2 years. We will see what happens with the uniforms. THanks for the advice.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the info. We have a bit of both. Our officers are appointed through election but keep their rank unless they quit the department or are voted out by members in a special election. We have had our chief for 15 years but the AC has been in his position for 2 years. We will see what happens with the uniforms. THanks for the advice.
    There is most of your problem right there. Extremely inefficient and outdated way of forming a command staff.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep............

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Lieutenant and above get gold badges, brass and name plates. Firefighters get silver.
    Us too........... We use a Star on the Coat sleeve to denote service time, one star for each 5 years. Coat sleeves have from zero to five Gold Bands, Lt. 1, Capt. 2, Deputy Chief 3, Assistant Chief 4, and Chief 5. With us, your uniform has whatever rank you hold when you get the uniform new from the tailor. You add Stars and Bands as mentioned above, but we don't have Sleeve Bands removed if someone goes from Chief back to Firefighter or whatever. After I retired as Chief, I kept the uniform as it was, just replaced the Chief's Badge with a "Past Chief" Badge......... We are working on getting uniforms for all of our Active Members over a period of time, but at a cost of about $300.00 per set, we'll be a few years.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    There is most of your problem right there. Extremely inefficient and outdated way of forming a command staff.

What? A popularity vote is not the best way to choose Chief officers? Who would have thunk.

If it were a popularity vote in my department I would have been demoted in the 90's and never promoted again.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yeah...........

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    What? A popularity vote is not the best way to choose Chief officers? Who would have thunk.

If it were a popularity vote in my department I would have been demoted in the 90's and never promoted again.

Not to get more off track, but yeah, I see your point. We elect, but with certain constraints. First, to be able to vote, a member must be an active participant, not just someone who pops in a few times a year. This ensures (within reason) that those who vote are making an informed choice, not just voting because their friend called in a chip....... Second, to be elegible to hold office, a person must meet the qualifications of that office. A Chief Officer must have Fire Officer II, Instructor II, EMT, and 3 years in a lower office. There are Minimums to meet in Continuing Ed hours, Company Training hours, Department Business meetings, and other items...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Not to get more off track, but yeah, I see your point. We elect, but with certain constraints. First, to be able to vote, a member must be an active participant, not just someone who pops in a few times a year. This ensures (within reason) that those who vote are making an informed choice, not just voting because their friend called in a chip....... Second, to be elegible to hold office, a person must meet the qualifications of that office. A Chief Officer must have Fire Officer II, Instructor II, EMT, and 3 years in a lower office. There are Minimums to meet in Continuing Ed hours, Company Training hours, Department Business meetings, and other items...........
    There are folks here that jump all over departments where the officers are elected.

While there are situations where the most qualified have not been elected, I personally have been involved with some very competent departments where the Chief officers, and in some cases, Captains an LTs were elected as well.

I know it's hard for some to beleive but there are firefighters out there that will elect competent v. popular officers. And I bet it happens far more than you know.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    There are folks here that jump all over departments where the officers are elected.
    In NY, chiefs in fire districts are appointed by the commissioners.

The catch is that the department "nominates" the chiefs to the district, which usually rubber stamps the selections.

In fact, the method is codified in fire district law, right down to specifying when the "nomination" (read "election") will take place.

Usually, if the district won't appoint the officers the department nominates, it's an indication that there may well be some deeper issues at play.

Back to the uniforms - keep them as generic as possible - in most volunteer departments, the officers do usually change on a fairly regular basis. One area to consider is the hats - chiefs get white, everybody else gets black/blue.

If cost is an issue, think about just getting shirts and hats. Specify a certain brand of pants and plain-toed black shoes for the members to provide themselves. Then build on it when you can.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Always thought the purpose of uniforms was to look "uniform". Every member here gets the same uniform. If you are an officer, you get a different badge...the rest is the same. If you become a Chief, you get a white hat instead of the blue one....rest is the same.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Gold badges, buttons, ect. for all officers. Firefighters and everyone else gets silver.

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Us too........... We use a Star on the Coat sleeve to denote service time, one star for each 5 years. Coat sleeves have from zero to five Gold Bands, Lt. 1, Capt. 2, Deputy Chief 3, Assistant Chief 4, and Chief 5. With us, your uniform has whatever rank you hold when you get the uniform new from the tailor. You add Stars and Bands as mentioned above, but we don't have Sleeve Bands removed if someone goes from Chief back to Firefighter or whatever. After I retired as Chief, I kept the uniform as it was, just replaced the Chief's Badge with a "Past Chief" Badge......... We are working on getting uniforms for all of our Active Members over a period of time, but at a cost of about $300.00 per set, we'll be a few years.....

You probably had so many Stars, that they touch end to end wrapped around the sleeve, right??

We used Maltese Cross to indicate the 5 year marks.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information