Forum Member

Default GPM flow on speedlays?

Hey gang,

Need some more input, more so from the paid departments. On your speed-lays, be it 1 1/2" or 1 3/4", how many GPM's are you flowing?

Forum Member

Don't know why you ask for full time departments over others but we flow 95-135 gpm on our attack lines.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    Don't know why you ask for full time departments over others but we flow 95-135 gpm on our attack lines.
    Not trying to be ugly, but, don't post if you're "offended". Comparing apples to apples the best I can.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    Not trying to be ugly, but, don't post if you're "offended". Comparing apples to apples the best I can.
    Not offended at all. To expand on my answer further we use the Akron brass dual shutoff Sabrejet with PonnConquest 1 3/4

Forum Member

Work- 150 GPM. Automatic fogs.

Volunteer- 175 GPM. Fixed fogs/smooth bores.

1 3/4" Hose on both departments.

Word on the street is that NFPA will be upping the minimum required flow for intitial, backup and total GPM in the next few years. And ISO will want flow tests done on every truck to ensure you are actually getting what you're pumping for.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Let's talk fire trucks!

150-160 GPM for initial flows.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thank you everyone for the replies....keep 'em comin'!!!

Hey GT, not that NFPA is the be all/ say all, but, have you heard what numbers they will be recommending?

Forum Member

Thank you everyone for the replies....keep 'em comin'!!!

Hey GT, not that NFPA is the be all/ say all, but, have you heard what numbers they will be recommending?
    What I had heard was 350 total between the initial attack line and backup line. If you think about it, with most people shooting for 150 GPM on the initial line these days asking for 200 on the backup isn't a big deal, since most pull a 2 1/2" (or one size bigger than the initial line). This was one of the reasons we went to 175 GPM nozzles on the 1 3/4" lines; with both of them off we meet the 350 GPM mark.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What I had heard was 350 total between the initial attack line and backup line. If you think about it, with most people shooting for 150 GPM on the initial line these days asking for 200 on the backup isn't a big deal, since most pull a 2 1/2" (or one size bigger than the initial line). This was one of the reasons we went to 175 GPM nozzles on the 1 3/4" lines; with both of them off we meet the 350 GPM mark.
    Gotcha, thanks....

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Hey gang,

Need some more input, more so from the paid departments. On your speed-lays, be it 1 1/2" or 1 3/4", how many GPM's are you flowing?
    I'm not offended by your question, just puzzled by what you think the difference would be that would make only getting answers from paid departments valid.

My career FD flows 150 gpm at 50 psi through low pressure combination nozzles.

My #1 POC FD flows from 160-200 gpm from between 55 to 75 psi at the nozzle to 300 gpm if we go to the 1 1/4 inch slug tip. This FD uses 2 inch hose exclusively for handlines.

My #2 POC FD uses TFT nozzles and can flow up to 200 gpm.

Hmmmm, it would seem by the answers you have received that my POC FDs flow more than the career FDs listed. Maybe that is why you only wanted paid FDs to answer...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I'm not offended by your question, just puzzled by what you think the difference would be that would make only getting answers from paid departments valid.

My career FD flows 150 gpm at 50 psi through low pressure combination nozzles.

My #1 POC FD flows from 160-200 gpm from between 55 to 75 psi at the nozzle to 300 gpm if we go to the 1 1/4 inch slug tip. This FD uses 2 inch hose exclusively for handlines.

My #2 POC FD uses TFT nozzles and can flow up to 200 gpm.

Hmmmm, it would seem by the answers you have received that my POC FDs flow more than the career FDs listed. Maybe that is why you only wanted paid FDs to answer...
    And here we go.....thank you for your feedback, have a nice night.

Forum Member

And here we go.....thank you for your feedback, have a nice night.
    Dude, you threw down the gauntlet. Answer the question.

OR, ask the question in the career area. That seems so obvious.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-02-2011 at 01:00 AM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Dude, you threw down the gauntlet. Answer the question.

OR, ask the question in the career area. That seems so obvious.
    Dude, you're looking to hijack and turn this into a debate. Not going to happen. Find an idiot to start crap with....I heard Bayou Billy or whatever his name is would be a good one.

Thank you for your feedback. Seriously, thank you for answering earlier.

Forum Member

I have to say that I agree that you taunted everyone with your question, and not only that you knew you were doing it, too. The question could have been phrased better. Unless if you know something that I don't- such as do the laws of physics or the hydraulics of water movement differ for volunteers over career operations?????

Perhaps next time you could post a query like this in the Career Firefighters thread.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

200' 1 3/4" lines, all have Akron Break apart nozzles, 75psi/175gpm. Actual flow ~160gpm.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Is paid water thicker than volunteer water? Would combination water be the perfect balance?
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 11-02-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have to say that I agree that you taunted everyone with your question, and not only that you knew you were doing it, too. The question could have been phrased better. Unless if you know something that I don't- such as do the laws of physics or the hydraulics of water movement differ for volunteers over career operations?????

Perhaps next time you could post a query like this in the Career Firefighters thread.
    You couldn't be any more wrong. In the time you took to type all of that, you could have just put "xxx" gpm's on "x" type of nozzle.

Moving forward, allow me to re-phrase; THOSE IN AN URBAN SETTING, WHAT'S YOUR GPM FLOW ON YOUR 1 1/2" OR 1 3/4" HAND-LINES?

Thanks again to those that have contributed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Is paid water thicker than volunteer water? Would comination water be the perfect balance?
    Not sure about the water, but it seems paid skin is thicker....

Forum Member

I would just say some guys have sharper tongues than others, and it does not matter if they are paid or not.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

180 gpm regardless of nozzle. Three nozzle choices are 15/16" SB, Vindicator Heavy Attack and Elkhart SM-30F auto fog, all on Ponn Supreme 1.74" hose. Given that you need to flow the required flow, most personnel choose the first two nozzles which tend to be more easily managed.

I'm wondering how many people subscribe to requiring the back line to be larger than the attack line? Backing up a 1.75" line in a residential occupancy with a 2.5" line greatly slows the back-up crews response time compared to the ease and maneuverability of the smaller line. We like the lines to be equal or greater in diameter, mostly equal for residential jobs, certainly larger on commercial occupancies if the initial was a 1.75" (not as likely). But generally the B/U will be longer unless it is a KNOWN fact that the equal line is long enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ain't that the truth! Not necessarily a knock on VFD guys, but the career environment is most often where guys continually "abuse" each other creating thick skin or vacancies. This constant barrage tends to make the same guys less likely to take things personally. Those individuals, teams, groups and companies that are introspective, highly critical of themselves and hold each other accountable are the one's that excel in nearly any walk of life.

Forum Member

Really? I have been a Career Paid firefighter for 21 years and I know a set up when I see one. Heck Dude, guys lay lines like that out at the firehouse all the time to se who they can snag. The way your question was phrased was absolutely going to get the reactions you got from some, me included.

From what I have seen, with extremely limited numbers contrary to that, most URBAN FDs flow far less from 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inch hose lines than do there SUBURBAN or RURAL counterparts. My belief is it has not one thing to do with location but more to do with resources and number of companies responding on a first alarm. I can tell you quite clearly why my #1 POC FD went to 2 inch lines and the high flows we use. Lack of daytime manpower and a delay in mutual aid responses. Many times we did not have enough people to pull the 2 1/2 if the first line choice was wrong, so we went to a line that could flow 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 flows all in one and could be moved by 2 people if need be.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

We have TFT handline nozzles, and we shoot for 100psi at the tip. So we should be getting about 180 gpm if the chart TFT has is correct.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    We have TFT handline nozzles, and we shoot for 100psi at the tip. So we should be getting about 180 gpm if the chart TFT has is correct.
    Unless you are using low pressure or the Dual Force TFT's you have to have 100 psi at the tip to get the spring to open to allow the nozzle to flow properly.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-02-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    ...I'm wondering how many people subscribe to requiring the back line to be larger than the attack line? Backing up a 1.75" line in a residential occupancy with a 2.5" line greatly slows the back-up crews response time compared to the ease and maneuverability of the smaller line...
    For us...backup line will be larger. But the 2nd line in will most likely be same size.

ex. 2 story residential w fire on first floor...1st line to first floor, 2nd line goes to 2nd floor, backup line stands by. 1.75, 1.75, 2.5
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information