Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Roi Namur in the Kwajalein Atoll , Marshall Islands

I was wondering if anyone had any information on these particular overseas jobs pay scale, certs, websites, and companies thanks.

ProBoard FF 1 and 2
    Proboard HazMat Aware, Ops, Tech
    1st Responder
    and the list goes on from there...

Thanks again

Forum Member

Arrf??????

Might do a search subject has come up before

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lilwes25 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on these particular overseas jobs pay scale, certs, websites, and companies thanks.

ProBoard FF 1 and 2
    1st Responder

Thanks again
    I know a couple friends who are there right now. I'll tell them to come to this forum and answer your questions. For what I know, its a 2 year commitment. You need to have at least 2+ years exp as a Career Firefighter, and You need ARFF. That is what I heard.

Forum Member

Ok awesome thanks for the feedback so quickly that's the only thing i am missing is ARFF. That would be awesome if they came to this forum thanks again.

Forum Member

You do need the ARFF cert to come out here. That is the primary mission on the Atolls. It is also a 1 year commitment. The years experience can be waived if you have a Fire Science Degree.
    Last edited by dortiz6974; 11-07-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Dan Ortiz

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilwes25 View Post

ProBoard FF 1 and 2
    1st Responder

Thanks again
    Pay scale for a basic firefighter is 11.50 an hour give or take depending on the certs you have (i.e Driver certs, EMT-B, HazMat Tech is a big plus). You get paid a full 24 and lots of OT. You can go to krsjv.com or the chugach website for more information. If you go to either Roi or Kwaj, this is a great learning department to get some certs knocked out and to get your foot in the door of contract firefighting.

Forum Member

They're pretty full up right now unless you want an officer job. There is a Capatain and several Lieutenant spots open. The LT job requires:

FF I/II
    Airport FF
    Hazmat Tech
    D/O ARFF, Pumper, and MWS
    Officer I
    Inspector I
    Instructor I

The Captain requires all of the above, plus Officer II

Starting pay for FF is $11.50, FF/EMT is $12.50, Lt: $14.12. Unknow for Capt.

One thing to be aware of is the OT. While there is OT to be had, it is paid at straight time, as they do not fall under FLSA.

There is about to be an exodus of people. There hasn't been a fire chief since March, and the acting chief is running people off left and right due to incompetence. Come to Roi or Kwaj if you like being busy for the sake of being busy. There are few calls, the vehicles and air packs stay broken down, but there is plenty of money for buying things not necessarily needed. Oh...If you go to Kwaj, you will be assigned to cover another Island a few times a month. You will commute there by boat, so if you don't like boats, fair warning. Also at Kwaj, there is a strict lights out policy in the bunkrooms as everyone sleeps in cubilcles. No lights, tv's, or computers on after 10 PM, period. There is very little high speed internet, and what little is around is located at three public hot spots. Otherwise, you'll be accessing using dial-up, which is SLOOOW. And the high speed is not much better.

Forum Member

On my website, I've posted a good bit of information about the jobs that are currently available in the fire service overseas. I hope it helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

After I got out of the USAF I worked at Kwajalein back in 1986-87 as a FF/EMT on Roi-Namur. I retired after a 23 year career with a stateside dept finishing up as a fire Inspector this past December 2011. The job situation here is TERRIBLE. I see there is a Fire Inspector position listed on the KRS website. Can any one enlighten me on the fire prevention opening there?

Thread Information