Forum Member

Default How many miles on your rig?

Couldn't find this one via search.

I'm looking for ballpark estimates on the miles you put on your rigs every year, or the mileage and age of your busier rigs. I'm sure there must be departments that put more miles on compared to us. Please include career/volunteer, run volume, and circumstances that contribute to your mileage.

For my suburban career dept, we run approx 10,000 runs out of 5 stations, 5 engines and a truck. A fire alarm may get all 6 rigs, so our busiest engine does approx 3500 calls/year. The spare engine is a 93 Pierce with 135K miles, and it has been in reserve for 5 years. The engine I am assigned to is a 2005 Sutphen which has 65K miles on it. We run ALS first response, hazmat, etc, and have no utility vehicles for shopping/details.

If you are really motivated, include the engine hours. That way the guys who get 2 fires a day a block from the station can brag about the wear on their rig too.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Please include career/volunteer, run volume, and circumstances that contribute to your mileage.Thanks
    County wide fire dept, 31 stations, Large geographical area.Career/some volly. We run Paramedic engine companies. 70-75% medical and non-fire.Lots of car accidents. Most average 25,000 miles a year. Rotated to slower stations after 75,000 miles. Reserve at 125,000 miles. 3-5 years in reserve for ones in better shape.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    County wide fire dept, 31 stations, Large geographical area.Career/some volly. We run Paramedic engine companies. 70-75% medical and non-fire.Lots of car accidents. Most average 25,000 miles a year. Rotated to slower stations after 75,000 miles. Reserve at 125,000 miles. 3-5 years in reserve for ones in better shape.
    Just what I was looking for. Thanks

If you guys are running them that way, are you on a 10 year replacement plan?

MembersZone Subscriber

one station our telesquirt has 62,000 on it we have had it a year and put 123 miles on it. We avg, about 150 miles per year on our tanker and brush truck. We run about 30 calls per year.

Forum Member

We run two engines and a special service unit doing about 250 fire calls a year, mostly smells and bells. For those, first engine goes. Our 2007 Toyne/Spartan is just turned 15,000 miles and 1065 hours. Our '89 Quality/Duplex is at 52,000 miles and 4005 hours. Note, of course, that odometers are running while we're pumping.

Our '94 Rescue1/Freightliner has a light tower and main engine driven gen set. Four and five hour lighting details are not uncommon. The gen set is PTO driven, so the odometer is not running while making power. So it's at 25,000 (real) miles and 3500 hours.

We also run two ALS ambulances, both Horton/Fords. They rotate first out once a week. The annual run load is probably going to be on the order of 1350 this year. Our hospitals are quite close by. The 2009 just turned 20,000 miles and the 2003 is at 62,000. I don't have their hours.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    one station our telesquirt has 62,000 on it we have had it a year and put 123 miles on it. We avg, about 150 miles per year on our tanker and brush truck. We run about 30 calls per year.
    You better get it out and run it just for exercise in order to prevent deterioration.

Forum Member

City Career dept., aprx 65 rigs (pumpers, aerials, meds). 90% run about 13,000 miles a year with about 10,000 annual runs. Nothing set in stone from front line to reserve status. Hence some pumpers will have anywhere from 65,000-125,000 miles and can either be front line or reserve. Reserves can be over 120,000 (we have several med units over 200,000 as front line and reserve).

Average age was about 16 years old on pumpers. With the purchases over the last 5 yrs, it avg's to about 8-10 years now for front line, 12 for reserves. Aerials avg about 14 years old. Med units avg about 15 years old. Have 3 new ones coming any day now. Reserve med units avg about 20 years old.

We don't log the hours, so I have no idea where they are. As well, the readings would be all over the place due to short runs and high fire runs versus quick med runs. If that makes sense. (?)

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Govdeals has a 96 HME/Smeal for sale that has 336,696 miles listed. Thats good advertising (for Smeal)if it is accurate.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Govdeals has a 96 HME/Smeal for sale that has 336,696 miles listed. Thats good advertising (for Smeal)if it is accurate.
    I saw that, and it was one of the reasons I posted this thread.

Forum Member

Small career department, 2 stations and around 1200 calls per year (give or take). My Engine will be 2 years old this month and has around 10,500 miles on it. Not sure on the hours off hand.

The engine that it replaced (~12 1/2 years old at the time) had an unknown number of miles on it. The odometer (digital) broke 8-9 years ago and was never fixed. The engine hour meter broke at some point too, so no idea on that.

Mileage is pretty much response related and going to do inspections, commercial fire drills, fire safety education.

MembersZone Subscriber

We "walk" the trucks twice a month in addition to the calls.

Forum Member

my truck at work-

1998 95' rear mount quint

96,574 miles
    10,727 hours on the engine
    725 hours on the ladder
    ?? on the pump the hour meter is broken

MembersZone Subscriber

Vol: Don't they have trouble "HOLDING" the exhaust for 2 weeks at a time? Was it difficult to get them "House Broken"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuhShise View Post
    Vol: Don't they have trouble "HOLDING" the exhaust for 2 weeks at a time? Was it difficult to get them "House Broken"?

I bet they have a terrible gas build up and when they release the trapped gas, well lets says it is a big stinky!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

We had a bulldog - and when we let him out - whew - terrible black cloud - hate to admit it - most folks said it stunk -but I kinda liked the smell.
    ?

Thread Information