Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Why I thought we were: Admiring FM1's new piece and REALIGNING Buff's misguided Azz. Looks like a win/win to ME! T.C,
    Hahaha....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Looks like a 75' LTI straight Truck. I've not seen a whole lot of straight trucks in the 75' variety, I suspect there are some distinct advantages in those areas where setbacks and taller structures aren't as prevelant and/or your fleet has many of the larger aerials well positioned as well.
    Ooops, missed answering this one.

Where this truck is going is 95% single story residential's, 5% strip malls, single story. Setback is very minimal, usually less than 30-40'. This will be our 4th straight stick 75 footer (we also have a SP70 Platform). The station now has an HP100, which is overkill for the territory, as well, the streets really beat the rig up. So a 75 footer is more than adequate for the area. There are also 2 HP100's within a 5-8 minute response time.

In other news. The mere mention of a "Q" here is blasphemy. In fact, one had the pump pulled, and the other after annexation was sold within months. Reason are a few, but here is the gist of it. For EMS runs we run either a truck or engine for manpower. Put in a "Q", and you are left with nothing to cover the area. As well, it will replace one or the other. That then translates into layoffs and lost manpower. In a nut shell, not here.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Why I thought we were: Admiring FM1's new piece and REALIGNING Buff's misguided Azz. Looks like a win/win to ME! T.C,
    Nice................. LMAO

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

You better talk to the Chiefengineer about that. He's been trying for 38 years with no success.........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

At least you can admit your thinking is Flawed,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Got to the point where if we went out the door with the vollies Mon through Fri from 6am to 6pm and we pulled a line, I would tuck an axe into the belt of my SCBA and leave a 6ft hook in the hallway, cause that was it......you never knew how long or if the help was coming.
    If (when) my next due is questionable I would rather have the Quint then the straight Truck.. I'm still manpower limited but I have the physical resources to be flexible. Without a pump on scene you're pretty much fubar.

On the original subject.. new truck looks nice! Enjoy.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

At least you can admit your thinking is Flawed,hehe T.C.
    Ok I admit it. I can eat crow once in a while, just put some hot sauce on it. I just do not like queernts. Does that make me a bad guy? I hope not. I would rather channel my time and energy into supporting stand alone engine and truck companies, because I think it makes for more efficient offensive firefighting. You cannot do what you can with one engine and one truck with 4 FF's each, with one queernt with 4 ff's only. If it works for you, hey thats great. And TC I have told you that same thing time and time again. But christ, this whole thing started out with some good old-fashioned firehouse kitchen table ballbusting and somone got some sand in their vagina.

TC your machine is exceptionally spec'd and built, but it is above and beyond the norm. It's what all queernts should be. Your guys know how to man and use it, bravo zulu to you. Cheese steaks for everyone. Bring me some lobster bisque.

Forum Member

Ok I admit it. I can eat crow once in a while, just put some hot sauce on it. I just do not like queernts. Does that make me a bad guy? I hope not. I would rather channel my time and energy into supporting stand alone engine and truck companies, because I think it makes for more efficient offensive firefighting. You cannot do what you can with one engine and one truck with 4 FF's each, with one queernt with 4 ff's only. If it works for you, hey thats great. And TC I have told you that same thing time and time again. But christ, this whole thing started out with some good old-fashioned firehouse kitchen table ballbusting and somone got some sand in their vagina.

TC your machine is exceptionally spec'd and built, but it is above and beyond the norm. It's what all queernts should be. Your guys know how to man and use it, bravo zulu to you. Cheese steaks for everyone. Bring me some lobster bisque.

The quint showing up with four guys trying to do both truck and engine task is not a quint problem. IT IS A STAFFING PROBLEM!!! I pose this question. If instead of 1 engine and 1 truck pulling up with 8 men. You have 2 quints pulling up with 8 men. Whats the difference?

I will say that having quints does create some challenges that must be overcome through policy and procedures.
    A couple of things that I feel are a must when using quints. Pre-arrival assignments are a must on the department level. ex. 1st arriving does ABC, 2nd arriving does 123. On the company level riding assignments to mirror each job function is required.

For example we either arrive 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th on a box alarm.
    We use Driver, Officer, Nozzle, Hydrant as name for each person.
    1st-Fire Attack- Driver, Officer, nozzle, hydrant
    2nd- Truck- Outside team (driver & hydrant), Inside team (officer, nozzle)
    3rd- back-up line- Driver(2nd water supply), Officer, nozzle, Back-up (hydrant)
    4th- RIT- Accountablity Officer (Driver), RIT team (Officer, nozzle, back-up)

Clear and calm communication between on all levels is imparitive. On the Command level assignments need to be made. Ex. Command to Quint 13 you are RIT or one of the four listed above. Clearly the 1st arriving unit knows what they are doing. Next the officer needs to communicate to his crew. "hey guys we are going to be 3rd in on this one."

Lastly discipline on the officer and firefighters goes a very long way. the crew must be disciplined enough to perform their assignment. They must be disciplined well enough to be able to switch gears at the drop of a hat. For example. if we are dispatched as the 3rd due and upon entering the fire block see that we are the 2nd arriving unit. The crew needs to be "honed" to the point that the officer says we are 2nd. The crew needs to quickly switch from the mindset of engine work to truck work.

As far as the apparatus itself. There are some limitations because of the fact it is a quint. For example on the engine side streatching duel 2 1/2 to an FDC.

IMO a good crew will perform well regardless of the type of truck that they show up on. quint/engine/ladder/golf cart/whatever. On the flip side a bad crew will always perform poorly.

I have yet to see a (yellow/green/red/blue) (quint/engine/truck/rescue/mini-pumper) put out a fire. It is always the men that arrive on the truck that make the difference.

Now that doesn't mean that i dont enjoy all the quint jokes. I stole the bi-truck joke and use it on a daily bases!!!

Forum Member

And I have NO problem with a two piece company;EXCEPT it doesn't work well for US due to fluctuations in day help. We're luckier than most in the area,but for US the Quint was the RIGHT CHOICE. Remember we came from a straight Truck to the Quint. And for OUR operations,it works BETTER. And NOBODY on here likes to crack stones better than ME. Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

FireMech1,

Saw your new truck Friday.......beautifull rig.

Forum Member

AGAIN,for the Reading IMPAIRED(FWD): You have NEVER seen my rig,NOR the area in which it operates. This TRUCK has been instrumental in many good saves in the short 2 yrs it has been in service. It serves OUR unique needs in the way it was intended and it does a VERY good job at it. IF you jog your memory you MAY remember I put an above normal ground ladder complement on the vehicle. I can put three truck companies and an Engine company to work off the tool load it carries.AND,as I mentioned earlier,I don't need a separate Engine to make it work,a valuable thing during the day manpower reduction. You don't like a pump and tank on a Ladder;FINE. Our last one didn't have one either but we are VERY happy with our decision to have them on this one. As far as St. Louie goes,I have an idea that EXPENSE of replacing the units factored into their decision. T.C.
    Word. We got ours for the same reason, equipped it the same way, and have had the same experiences. We run it as a truck, but if a line is priority#1, it's certainly nice to have them, and a tank of water, on board! The next due can then take the truck work-provided we didn't show up with a full crew. As a volunteer dept, we're trained to do both- it doesn't matter what rig you show up on. I prefer engine work, but it's always fun to play Dr Destructo too! We've used it just this way, many a time- all lines, tools etc came off the quint. The engines just grabbed hydrants and laid in. Saved several houses just this way. It's also very nice to have the ability to set up and put in service the ladder pipe ASAP. ( and here I'm thinking of a rather memorable "OH F@%&!!!" we rolled up on a few years back. $850,000 house, 1 week from move in day... Gas already turned on-and feeding the raging fire in the attic and top floor. Already through the roof on arrival.)

We only carry 700' of 5". It's fine for in the village( what the quint was designed for), not so good in the town. A quint isn't really meant to be a hose tender anyway. An engine isn't necessary to make it work, but it's definitely easier to reload the 5" onto the engine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    FireMech1,

Saw your new truck Friday.......beautifull rig.
    Thanks, it was good to see it in the shop. I'll post up some pics that may surprise some, as for interior layout. Esp for GunnyV.

And yeah, it has a joystick. lol

FM1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Thanks, it was good to see it in the shop. I'll post up some pics that may surprise some, as for interior layout. Esp for GunnyV.

FM1
    Joystick? What's NEXT?.........Waterway? hehe T.C.

Forum Member

FM1
    Did you finally get to go there?

Forum Member

Here's some pics of it in the shop. Interior is somewhat stripped to add some additions, so when it is all done, I'll include them later. This will be different for some of the rear guys, facing forward. Seats seem to work out nice. They fold up nicely when they get their rears out of them. Also dig the blue LED lighting on the flys.

FM1
    Attached Images Attached Images      

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's some pics of it in the shop. Interior is somewhat stripped to add some additions, so when it is all done, I'll include them later. This will be different for some of the rear guys, facing forward. Seats seem to work out nice. They fold up nicely when they get their rears out of them. Also dig the blue LED lighting on the flys.

FM1
    That looks nice Brother, very nice. We should be getting our new ladder sometime the next mounth, ! send you some pictures.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

We got our new one about a month ago. Should be ready to go into service by Jan 1.

We also got our rescue back after having it re-chassised and some refurb work done on it. We went from a 2-seat International (`86) with 3-men in the box to a 6-man custom HME. Huge improvement over what we had. Added a light tower and roll-up doors. The pic is already a "classic" as it shows it with the decal job the supplier slapped on it. We re-striped it to match our new aerial.

MembersZone Subscriber

FM1
    Does the cover for the aerial controls stick up very high? Hard to tell from the pic if it would block the operator's vision.

The blue LED's look great... if this was an entrance to a dance club. Personally I'd rather have some semblance of night vision after climbing the aerial. They look eye burningly bright!
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    The blue LED's look great... if this was an entrance to a dance club. Personally I'd rather have some semblance of night vision after climbing the aerial. They look eye burningly bright!
    I would assume, of course we know where assuming gets us lol, that those are the same type of LEDs that the theaters use to light there aisleways. They're made specifically to not ruin your ability to see in low light. Of course as usual, I could be wrong.

Forum Member

FM1
    She's beautiful brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

FIREMECH1, here a few pictures of our new 75' HME. The guys went up to the plant this past Tuesday to smoke her over and drop off a check. We should be receiving her sometime next month. When we put her in service, I'll post a few more pictures.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    FIREMECH1, here a few pictures of our new 75' HME. The guys went up to the plant this past Tuesday to smoke her over and drop off a check. We should be receiving her sometime next month. When we put her in service, I'll post a few more pictures.
    huh. Thats a first. Never saw a school bus with a main before.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's better than a Short Bus!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

And they forgot the little stop arm that comes out when you let the kids off..
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    And they forgot the little stop arm that comes out when you let the kids off..
    Hey, We haven't taken delivery of her yet, I'll ask the Chief if we can add one!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information