Thread: New Pick Up

Forum Member

Default New Pick Up

I've been kinda-sorta in the market for a new(er) pickup truck and I think I might have found one that's in my price range...

I've only ever really had the truck I drive now (a 77 F-150) and would like to replace it kind of soon. I found a Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins in it, great shape, no scratches, dents etc. for approx. $13,000. The only thing that's holding me back is that it has over 230,000 miles and is only a 2003. If I were to buy it, should I be concerned about the number of miles?

Forum Member

So the guy drove a bunch of miles in 8 years... see if he has the maintenance records.

The Dodge Transmissions usually go before the engine gives up. I had several Dodge Trucks over the years; 1997 (V10), 2000 (Diesel), 2002 (V8), 2005 (Diesel). I replaced transmissions on all of them; Engines lasted over 350,000 miles, (before I pushed it into the ocean...)

Now I drive Fords, again.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSKPII View Post
    I've been kinda-sorta in the market for a new(er) pickup truck and I think I might have found one that's in my price range...

I've only ever really had the truck I drive now (a 77 F-150) and would like to replace it kind of soon. I found a Dodge 2500 with a 5.9L Cummins in it, great shape, no scratches, dents etc. for approx. $13,000. The only thing that's holding me back is that it has over 230,000 miles and is only a 2003. If I were to buy it, should I be concerned about the number of miles?

Run fast from it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

If he's taken good care of it (maintenance and handling), you might be OK, but stuff does wear out, and I doubt that everything on the truck has been replaced.

If you're going to use it as a utility vehicle (ie, not your primary ride), I'd say go for it.

Otherwise, there are lots of vehicles with less miles and years on them.

On the other hand, I buy new anymore. That way I'm only inheriting the flaws the manufacturer built in, and they'll be under warranty (for the most part).
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Your Motor Will be Fine for roughly another 20,000 before it needs to be pulled down and inspected, For that Price, Keep looking. I Love my Dodge's All of them have been 5.9L Cummins and they have all been Awesome. My 98 is a 525hp Truck with 215,000 miles on the Ticker, but I am flirting with Disaster with that set-up.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I agree that it's too many miles so I decided against the thing. Unfortunately I don't think I can be too picky because $15,000 is about my limit so I don't know if I can get what I want for that money but I guess I'll keep looking!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSKPII View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I agree that it's too many miles so I decided against the thing. Unfortunately I don't think I can be too picky because $15,000 is about my limit so I don't know if I can get what I want for that money but I guess I'll keep looking!
    Check out Cumminsforum.com They have a really good for sale section, If your looking for a Cummins.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

I just bought a 2007 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty with the 5.7 Hemi gas engine. Like every pickup that I've had since 1972, it's a 4X4 and my 3rd Super Crew Cab. The Dodge replaces a 2004 F150 that we bought in 2006, and has racked up 112,500 miles. I needed something heavier than what I had so that I can pull a 30 Ft. Camper or a 14 ft. Box Trailer. This is our 9th pickup, and the 4th Dodge. I have never had any real problems with Dodge, and don't expect to see any............ Two points: 1. I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1985, and I don't think I ever will again. I look for something several years old with reasonable mileage for the age, and in excellent condition. I can buy something like that for half of the new Price, so why not??. 2. I looked hard for, and found and bought a 5.7 Hemi GAS engine, which seemed to suprise some folks. I am adamant that I do not want a Diesel in anything smaller than 10,000 lbs. I've found that the advantage of a Diesel diminishes as the size of the vehicle declines. Here, right now Diesel ($3.60/Gal) is running around $0.40 Cents per gallon more than regular Gas ($3.20/Gal.)......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Unhappy

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but I do know that diesel gets better milage than a gas engine would (or at least so I've been told)... but right now anything is better than 6 mpg

Thread Information