MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    True, however there are not enough spots in the military to reasonably be a feeder to the metro FDs in the country.

Yes, some colleges offer Fire and EMS training courses, however a basic training course is not exactly the same thing as "experience". Besides, why should prior experience necessarily be a requirement when a recruit will be attending a Fire Academy anyway once hired?
    Excellent points...and to expand on them.

The Military doesn't always let you pick and choose your job...you volunteered to serve them not for them to cater to your needs.

Furthermore while I consider it a BS excuse for 98% of applicants(I'm conceeding there are a few legit cases of poverty but I'm probably over compensating with a 2% figure) Asking 60,000 applicants for the FDNY to all obtain EMS certs for a firemans job exam that might hire 3000-4000 over the life of the list seems a bit unrealistic.

Second of all, why do they need relevant job training when we will send them thru the accademy and teach them everything they need to know. While it would make sense to require prospective applicants to take a prep course and prepare for a job relevant exam like LSATS MCATS...etc are to their fields of endevor, it has been cited as a "barrier to employment" for minorities who just can't be bothered to prepare themselves for a competitive job market and profesional career field.

Your ignorance on this subject matter is staggering...perhaps before comming to the defense of hustlers and bigots you should do some research (the links I provided are a good start) and then get back to us.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Dude, just curious- Why cant the minority applicants study to take the exam and obtain a position based on their own hard work and merit?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

They do.

Except there are certain political groups that live for suits like this and talk those who didn't make it into suing. It's happened here at my much smaller department and is absolutely happening there. I think it's absolutely foolish to think minority applicants are only getting in through law suits, but if thats how you get by, more power to you.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    They do.

Except there are certain political groups that live for suits like this and talk those who didn't make it into suing. It's happened here at my much smaller department and is absolutely happening there. I think it's absolutely foolish to think minority applicants are only getting in through law suits, but if thats how you get by, more power to you.
    So let me ask you this......Since caucasians are now the minority (officially, by census) in certain big cities, we get to sue to get on the job, right? After all, it's only fair..........????? Right?

MembersZone Subscriber

You are completely oblivious to what I just said. That's fine, have a nice day.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I think he was stumped by the last sentence. As am I. It seems to make a complete circle. Clarify plz.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Some minority applicants do get through of their own hard work and merit.

Many get through via lawsuits, dumbed down standards (whether they be dumbed down written tests or easier physical testing.) That being said, in recent times official census tabulations have determined that white (caucasians) are now the minority in many cities.

Therefore, I think they should now sue to get on the job or take advantage of minority hiring standards that many cities are currently employing (whether they are voluntary or court ordered.) After all, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thedude01 View Post
    That doesn't impress you. Darn... Because at the end of the day, if I don't impress some complete stranger off an internet site, I just can't live with myself........... Get over yourself tough guy.
    You didnt answer my question. You say you see guys hired all the time via nepotism. Are you one of them?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information