Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Montgomery County,Md Firefighter/EMT 2012

Online applications must be submitted by December 2, 2011.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...recruiting.asp

Forum Member

The job opening didnt show up for me when i did a search through their iRecruitment link.

Anyone else getting this?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.
    Last edited by OuchThatHurts; 11-04-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Forum Member

As a warning to everyone though, this class is subject to budgetary approval and apparently may not go through

Forum Member

Any news on the status with this one? I'm curious to know whether this class is going to fall through, or if they've been given a thumbs up. There was no mention of budgetary issues when the test was given. I was impressed with the department when I visited...seemed like a great place work.

I received my written scores in the mail today and got an 88.44%...which by most written test standards I've experienced would be very good, but after reading the detailed percentile ranks, I'm less than thrilled. The 34.9% I managed within "interpersonal" questions doesn't bode well, I'm afraid.

Anyone have any similar experience with the CWH aptitude test?

Forum Member

I got around an 86, with a similarly disappointing breakdown. Which is strange, because I got a 97% on Fairfax County's test, which also includes a situational portion.

MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar

I got a 98 on Fairfax - I got a 94.3 on this one. I took Fairfax's in the late morning, not early morning. Maybe that helped thed score since I wasn't so tired..... lol.

In regards to the interpersonal score - firefighting is all about teamwork and cooperation. You should always prefer to work with a team, be sad when team assignements end, "work well with others", etc. I've taken a written test like 6 times now and the first couple I took I just bombed becasue at the time I still had the mentality that if you want something done right you had to do it yourself. This is not the case - nor the mentality you want to have. You should trust that your fellow firefighters will be trained to the same standards as you and that they have as high level of character and work ethic. In fact, as a rookie you should have the mentality that you are the weakest link in the team and should desire to be in the team atmosphere so you can learn more. Just my 2 cents...

Good luck to all who are moving on to interviews. When will the CPAT be? After the interviews?
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

I think I'm going to have to break down and get a study guide for these written exams. I've been seeing improvements in each one I've taken, but not as much as I'd like. The interpersonal questions have always left me scratching my head after the tests....they seem too "opinion" oriented to me to have a "best" answer. Ironically, I've always done fairly well in team settings...it's just that I'm equally capable, in my opinion, on my own. Good insight Johnsonizzle, and good to hear that it's correctable.

I haven't heard any dates for the CPAT yet. I'm hoping they give us a heads up before too long though, as I'm coming from Florida, and travel arrangements are a pain.

Forum Member

from there facebook recruitment page:

If you passed the written test in January 2012, you should have scheduled your oral exam on test day. Once your oral exam has been completed, nothing will be happening again until approximately Fall of 2012. CPAT mentoring for your class will not begin until around the Fall of 2012. You are not able to attend CPAT mentoring which is meant for earlier classes.

Forum Member

Ok then...

Forum Member

Has anyone that went in for an oral interview heard anything yet? None of my references have received their packets yet which I had hoped would occur by now. Any thoughts?

When I had mine, they did not mention anything about background investigations. Only that CPAT info would be available within a couple months; after they completed the interviewing process.

I put two more irons in the fire last night - Baltimore County and Prince William - because you never know these days who is going to have the financial resources to have an academy.... Think PG will be opening again soon, and Howard (per their website) should be opening up sometime around summer as well - when the new stations get nearer to completion. Good luck to all in the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    When I had mine, they did not mention anything about background investigations. Only that CPAT info would be available within a couple months; after they completed the interviewing process.

I put two more irons in the fire last night - Baltimore County and Prince William - because you never know these days who is going to have the financial resources to have an academy.... Think PG will be opening again soon, and Howard (per their website) should be opening up sometime around summer as well - when the new stations get nearer to completion. Good luck to all in the process.
    FYI, I just got an email from PG that they're starting the process again next month. Not sure if I'll throw my hat in after my experience with them last year, but the fact that my CPAT is still good there may tempt me.

Forum Member

Does anybody know if they will accept my cpat from november 20113 from out of state,pg did

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo1547 View Post
    Does anybody know if they will accept my cpat from november 20113 from out of state,pg did
    Not according to the officers I interviewed with.

Forum Member

Anyone else getting anxious? I know CPAT mentoring isn't suppose to even start until Fall, but I hope they at least let us know who is advancing from the interview stage relatively soon...

Forum Member

Got a letter today from MCFRS... With interview results and when we should be expecting to hear more stuff throughout the end of the year! So glad we're finally starting to hear things since February

Forum Member

yeah i got the letter to,i thought i did very well on the interview but i only scored average,we'll see what happens

I got in the "excellent" tier (2nd tier) - but the score was in the mid 80's. I thought I did better as well, however it was my first panel interview and as I was walking to the car I was thinking of different ways I could have answered some questions. I practiced ahead of time, but some of the questions I went blank on. Hope my written score helps offset the less than perfect interview score.

On a different note, I applied for Arlington and their site said the written is Pass/Fail. Has anyone heard of this before? Typically the only thing that is pass/fail is the CPAT, correct? Thought that was interesting...

Forum Member

Some places do that. I took philly's test. Half of theirs was Pass/Fail, and you had to pass that section in order to even get a written test score on the second section... It is what it is.

Forum Member

I got my interview results in the mail a few days ago. I scored 81.6 which puts me in the excellent tier. I'm pleased with it, always could have done better but all around I'm proud of it. I also was 85 percentile on written exam. Good luck to everyone else in the hiring process. Post news as it comes.

Thread Information