Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    It doesn't look like head impact to me.. usually those have a bigger "point of impact" that is head-sized and with spiderweb lengths that are smaller relative to the impact point.

My from the hip guess would be that the red box on the pole contained a small fire extinguisher that came loose and bounced off the windshield as a result of the impact.
    This is my vote as well.

It's hard to see for sure if the indention in the windshield is from the inside or outside. It look too high for a person or an airbag to have caused it. Plus I don't think an object from inside did it from the angle. Of course there could have been an object sitting on the airbag compartment that got shot upward when it went off.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
    This is my vote as well.

It's hard to see for sure if the indention in the windshield is from the inside or outside. It look too high for a person or an airbag to have caused it. Plus I don't think an object from inside did it from the angle. Of course there could have been an object sitting on the airbag compartment that got shot upward when it went off.
    Just one point, it is definitly not too high for a person to have caused it.

I've seen unbelted vics hit high.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Just one point, it is definitly not too high for a person to have caused it.

I've seen unbelted vics hit high.
    It's possible. Just the third picture looks like the web initially started about two inches below the roof line. But it's hard to tell from these pictures provided.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ron, what's the story behind these pics.....?
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    Ron, what's the story behind these pics.....?
    2nd! What's the answer, Ron?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

The impact is too high for an object from inside the car, the angle just isn't right for a crash of that speed. There's no way it's from the pole or a bollard, the windshield wasn't close enough to hit. I seriously doubt a fire extinguisher would bounce back enough to hit the windshield, that column would have to have a lot of spring to it.
    I have to think that it has to be from a passenger, barring any other information.

I am very pleased with how this Thread went and appreciate everyone who weighed in on this scenario.

In this specific case, the windshield spiderweb was from an unrestrained teenage passenger front seat occupant. His forward momentum caused the high laminated glass impact. It is actually bowed out a bit from his forehead hitting the glass.

Typically, a passenger's side airbag spiderweb would have been lower on the glass and probably resulted in a larger fracture pattern. A UFO from outside, such as the fire extinguisher, could be determined if the glass breakage was pushed inward and not bowed out like this one is. Good eye for those of you who looked into that possibility.

The critical teaching point for this or any "spiderweb" incident you have in your files is that there are three 'suspect causes' on the passenger side that could have caused the spiderweb; occupant, airbag, and UFO. There are just two 'suspects' to consider on the driver's side however. The difference is that a driver's frontal airbag deployment won't be on the right angle enough to cause a windshield airbag spiderweb above the column. Look for an unbelted driver or a UFO if you have this kind of damage on the driver's side.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information