Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Airbag Spider Web... or Not?

We learn as EMS responders that there are three basic reasons why a vehicle's windshield will sustain the famous 'windshield spiderweb' damage.

1) Your unrestrained patient

2) Frontal airbag deployment

3) A "UFO" (unidentified flying object)

In this crash scenario, you know the routine. "Well, officer. I meant to hit the brakes but I must have hit the gas instead". (Yeah, and I'm thinking...you're an idiot, but I don't say that out loud. It's job security as far as I'm concerned)

Anyway, a good teaching point here. Of the three possible reasons listed above, which one do you believe to be the reason there is a spider web on the windshield glass?

The scene on your arrival at the gas pumps...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

As your crew members are making patient contact, hazard control activities are beginning, and you are conducting your scene survey, you get a chance to look a little closer at that windshield.

So, what caused this damage?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll play!

The height of it leads me away from an airbag deployment spiderweb (also, it's unclear but it doesn't appear the airbags deployed?)

Closer inspection of the glass for blood and hair appear negative (not that those are always present, but they can be an indicator), again, also the high location.

I'm leaning towards an object having struck the windshield.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ron, I'll join also..... Would be nice to have a closer pic to see if the windshield damage originates from the inside or the outside... I'm going to go with the ole cell phone into the windshield originating from the interior. Could also be the true reason why it occurred in the 1st place, we get these a lot here in So. Cali.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

It is hard to tell by the picture, but I think it was from the inside. I think the driver was leaning over the seat into the back and tromped on the gas.
    Last edited by Miller337; 11-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Looks like passenger noggin, based on the height up the windshield. I'd expect objects from laps and rear passenger areas to travel in a level or downward path, since there's nothing to make them go up toward the ceiling, but plenty of gravity to make them go down. I see no evidence of either driver or passenger airbag deployment.

An unrestrained passenger, or driver leaning over to get something from the glove box or floor would've made that web.

MembersZone Subscriber

Something loose inside the car, flying around.

Not airbag. Object or skull is my guess.Appears that there is a slight outward protrusion. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Negative Airbag, either an unrestrained occupant or object.

Think it's too high and tight of a pattern for a person, but I could be wrong with my limited experience. Maybe A.

Don't see any airbags deployed and seems to be an old enough model to not have them. Not B.

Given the location there's the potential that the UFO came from outside of the car. Something falling from the structure when it was hit. Maybe one of the pump number signs or a light box, but I can't see that anywhere from the photo's point of view. I vote for C (inside the cab or outside object).

Just my thoughts...

Thx for posting!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

I don't think its airbag and it appears that it was something inside the car trying to get out.

Any hair stuck in it?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

It doesn't look like head impact to me.. usually those have a bigger "point of impact" that is head-sized and with spiderweb lengths that are smaller relative to the impact point.

My from the hip guess would be that the red box on the pole contained a small fire extinguisher that came loose and bounced off the windshield as a result of the impact.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    It doesn't look like head impact to me.. usually those have a bigger "point of impact" that is head-sized and with spiderweb lengths that are smaller relative to the impact point.

My from the hip guess would be that the red box on the pole contained a small fire extinguisher that came loose and bounced off the windshield as a result of the impact.
    I think we have a winner.... good observation with that fire extinguisher box.

The impact was clearly the bollard and then that column.

Good catch!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Im going with option D...two of the above. It appears (to me) there are two impact points. One being a smaller linear intrusion and the second being the larger punch impact of an object. The size of the punch impact has me wondering if the object in the driverside rear is a child boster seat, but im unable to tell due to the size of the photo. You could also make the assumption that the driver was a juvenile. Im ruling out an airbag as a cause due to the apparent age of the vehicle combined with the high localized impact. It also appears there are glass fragments located outside the vehicle resting on the windshield below the psg side wiper.

Forum Member

Could a projectile been thrown at the vehicle which caused the crash?

Appears on the passenger side so im gussing not caused by the driver? Deff no airbag

cheers john

Forum Member

Flying unrestrained yappy lap dog.

Forum Member

I think it looks like it was an unrestrained passenger... It's tough to tell but it looks like the impact was from the inside. I know it looks like it might be too high for a persons head but I have been on calls where the driver took out the rear view mirror with their nose. Sometimes the force of the impact and the design of the seats can propel an unrestrained person forward and upwards at the same time.

I think if the windshield was struck from the outside, the circular damage wouldn't be present. I had a big chunk of ice blow off of the top of an approaching semi and hit my windshield a few years back.... The ice was the size of a football and it hit right where the rear-view mirror was. The damage to my windshield wasn't as bis as this is. Also, I don't see anything else in the vehicle that may have been the "UFO." I'd think you'd see junk laying in the back seat or something. As far as the extinguisher hitting it from the outside, the damage on the windshield is still a few feet from the pole and there isn't obvious damage to the extinguisher box. Also, I'd think the extinguisher would leave some tell-tale signs from an outside impact and possibly be in the picture.

Of course, all of this is a guess...

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Toe Bitters.....

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    Flying unrestrained yappy lap dog.
    If it were only that easy, Mama's little long-haired Chihuahua would go to town with me..... Ssskkkkkrrrrrreeeeeeeeeecchhhh hh (brake check); and my life gets way better.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    If it were only that easy, Mama's little long-haired Chihuahua would go to town with me..... Ssskkkkkrrrrrreeeeeeeeeecchhhh hh (brake check); and my life gets way better.
    Buddy of mine does animal control. He has a caged in van.

He calls it a "screen test".

MembersZone Subscriber

I like..... I like.....

Thread Information