Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    Whilie i agree with what you are saying. I am willing to bet you have a butterfly valve or PIV on the steamer connection. If not please tell me how you do it. i would think taking the steamer cap of the steamer connection would result in all the water flowing out of the pump. Unless you gated you tank to pump to the point that your intake from the tank was the same as you discharge GPM. Similar to duel pumping. Just shooting from the hip couldnt tell you if it works or not.
    Butterfly valve. Honestly anyone that does drafting ups is selling their equipment short if they don't have a butterfly valve on at least one steamer inlet.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    Whilie i agree with what you are saying. I am willing to bet you have a butterfly valve or PIV on the steamer connection. If not please tell me how you do it. i would think taking the steamer cap of the steamer connection would result in all the water flowing out of the pump. Unless you gated you tank to pump to the point that your intake from the tank was the same as you discharge GPM. Similar to duel pumping. Just shooting from the hip couldnt tell you if it works or not.
    Actually we have neither a PIV or butterfly on our main steamers, but all engines have a gated LDH intake. My point was that the directions for the relay valves likely considered that just 15-20 years ago, many of us had none of these, so sucking air could have been an issue. While it can be done, it generally goes against standard pumping practice.

As for running from the tank initially, I was thinking more of being at a draft side not the firescene. When arriving at the draft sire, we make the suction connections then engage the pump. No water or very little comes out of the pump when the caps removed as long as the tank to pump is closed an is tight.

Nevertheless, I was merely pointing out that this may be one reason why the relay valve directions would have you make the connections before spinning the pump, as other reasons seem to be eluding us, likely due to our being far better prepared for a host of pump revolutions, than years past.

Thread Information