Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Response Vehicle Help

Our department is on the lookout for smaller vehicle, (Crown Vic, Smaller SUV, etc) to use on certain incidents. We have a fairly large area and the only department who has two stations and we find it very costly to keep running all the "big trucks" to every incident. We are looking for a vehicle that would be cheaper to operate and help on our response times. Generally when we are paged to a Vehicle accident we roll two trucks, one being our Engine and the other Being our Mini Pumper/ Rescue to the scene due to the fact we are a very rural area with a lot of Mountains and Hills also with sharp curves so we need both units to assist with Traffic control. See with a smaller response vehicle we could cut our rolling one of the larger units and would cost us less money. Also when we are paged to a EMS call (Which is only on request of EMS or a Cardiac Arrest Call) we have a delay in the response time due to the fact that the bigger trucks are slower and to large to get into most places, with a smaller vehicle this would make it more efficient for us.

This department as i stated has two stations, only department in the county and due to the hard economic times our money is decreasing and our little tax money we receive doesn't get us very far. We are always trying to find ways to cut some costs and this is one way we feel like we can do it without having to cut service.

We cannot afford to out right purchase a vehicle to serve this need so we are coming to our firefighters brothers and sisters for help. If you know of anyone who would possibly donate us a vehicle to serve this purpose please let me know via email or phone: thfdchief14@aol.com 256-591-7800.

Our firefighters would greatly appreciate it and i know the community would to.

Thanks for your time.

Chief Patrick Nolen
    Turkey Heaven VFD
    Cleburne County, AL
    256-591-7800
    thfdchief14@aol.com

Forum Member

Have you talked to car dealerships for a possible vehicle

With thier advertisement on it???

Check with all levels of government, from towns/villages/cities, through the county, state, and even the feds.

F'rinstance, you may be able to convince a police agency to cut loose a former patrol vehicle for next to nothing. Other fleet vehicles are usually replaced on a regular basis. Granted, they're usually well used, but servicable.

Defense Logistics Agency handles surplus items for the military - they occasionally have vehicles available. Shouldn't be hard to find the nearest location to you.

As Fire49 points out, check with your local car dealers. They might be willing to donate a vehicle to you for little more than a little vinyl on a window that says "Courtesy of Joe's Used Cars."
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

As weird as this may sound...advertise! The PD of a small town near me started this years ago...they sell advertising space on the rear-seat passenger windows and the side windows that look into the trunk (on SUVs). They're all white "see through" decals...the type where you can see out from the inside of the car without any visual impairment, but they're clearly read from the outside (much like you'd see in a gas station or convenience store). The police vehicles are still very official. And the advertising covers about 75-85% of each vehicle...which for a town with a population of 1500 is a huge deal!

I'll try to see if I can get a picture.

Forum Member

Here's a photo of one of their newest vehicles:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5101/...bfbf2dcf11.jpg

Photo is not mine...credit to original photographer.

Forum Member

Thanks for yall input on this. I have contacted several dealerships, no luck. I spoke with the Sheriff and as of right now there are no good cars left in his fleet. Stated he would keep an eye open for me. I will continue to try and see what we can come up with. Again thank you all for the input!!

Fort McClelland and Anniston Army Depot are right in your neighborhood.

See if they have a Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services office.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Actually, I just emailed my local Depot to see if they have a surplus program *mentioned above* for the SUV's and such.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Also check with local utility companies as often they may have surplus vehicles they are willing to donate.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I actually work at the Army Depot but there is no way to get vehicles and such without going through our FEPPDOD Program through the Forestry, (Which is loss of hope) but i will try to find a contact for the DLA Disposition office.

Never thought of the Utilities Company. Will call them tomorrow.

Again thanks yall for all the help!!

Forum Member

Last year we contacted a neighboring police department. They had 5 or 6 patrol cars that they were replacing and donated one to us. It had been used and abused but so far it has proven to be a valuable asset. We used to run our grass truck to follow our ambulances with additional manpower. We have seen a big savings in fuel costs.

Be warned though... Even though the car was donated, it took some money to get it up to par. We had a cheap paint job put on it and had some mechanical issues. I think in the end, we spent almost $3000 to get it up and running.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by thfdst14 View Post
    I actually work at the Army Depot but there is no way to get vehicles and such without going through our FEPPDOD Program through the Forestry, (Which is loss of hope) but i will try to find a contact for the DLA Disposition office.

Never thought of the Utilities Company. Will call them tomorrow.

Again thanks yall for all the help!!
    Have you tried the state forestry route? I'm over in Northwest Alabama and forestry is constantly offering equipment/vehicles. Perhaps forestry is not as proactive in your county as mine? I'd really push for that route, there is always equipment available.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    Have you tried the state forestry route? I'm over in Northwest Alabama and forestry is constantly offering equipment/vehicles. Perhaps forestry is not as proactive in your county as mine? I'd really push for that route, there is always equipment available.
    Im going to laugh out loud on this one. We fought and i mean fought for over a year for a tanker. It took me writing numerous letters and having the AAVFD President going to numerous meetings in Montgomery just to get the Tanker over a year later.. Im not sure what is up with these county folks here. Wish we knew that way we could get the bumps in the road smoothed up.

Again thanks yall. I am in the process of contacting a few different agencies as well as keeping in touch with our home guys.

Quote Originally Posted by thfdst14 View Post
    Im going to laugh out loud on this one. We fought and i mean fought for over a year for a tanker. It took me writing numerous letters and having the AAVFD President going to numerous meetings in Montgomery just to get the Tanker over a year later.. Im not sure what is up with these county folks here. Wish we knew that way we could get the bumps in the road smoothed up.

Again thanks yall. I am in the process of contacting a few different agencies as well as keeping in touch with our home guys.
    Hmm strange it varies that much from my county to yours. Our forestry folks help us out as much as they can. Heck, last year they went around to a couple of the departments trying to find a home for a pick up truck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    Hmm strange it varies that much from my county to yours. Our forestry folks help us out as much as they can. Heck, last year they went around to a couple of the departments trying to find a home for a pick up truck.
    I know, some of the County Offices in the lower part of the State are like yours, very helpful but like i said it has been an act of congress here. There have been some departments on a waiting list for years on vehicles and still no luck.

Forum Member

What is your policy for members responding to the scene in POV's? (Their own cars) Maybe you could provide some funding for lights and sirens for members who are trained enough and have vehicles that are properly maintainded. That way they could have better response times. You would need some sort of SOP on this of course. If you haven't tried for some sort of grant, find someone who is familiar with writing grant requests to help you.

Forum Member

In the state of Alabama it is illegal to run lights and sirens on POVs, so therefore we do not allow any member to use them while responding to calls. Once on scene if the member has them they can use them but the vehicle cant be in motion. I use to have them in my personal vehicle and would use it to block roadway etc but i have taken them out due to liability purposes. On a good note, did meet with a county official and things may be lucking up on one, i have to meet with a Commissioner sometime about the possible avenues. Again thank you all for your help.

Thread Information