Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default A.S. in Fire Science or EMS?

Hi all,
    I am in a pretty good spot and could use some advice. I am 38 years old and decided to go after my dream of becoming a Firefighter. In the past 2 years, I have obtained my EMT-B, FL Firefighter I & II certification, and Proboard certification. I just started with our local F.D. as a volunteer to get some experience under my belt.

I decided to go back to school and start on my A.S. degree, I went straight into the workforce after high school. I currently have a few semesters of college under my belt and have a choice to make. I'm looking to work on either my A.S. in Fire Science or A.S. in EMS.

I'm not sure which way to go at this point. I enjoy both the fire side and medical side. I know either will look good on a resume and will help me grow in the future. I can incorperate Paramedic into the EMS degree down the road. I plan to do Paramedic either way, but want to work on my degree first.

Right now I'm leaning towards the A.S. in Fire Science, as it would more directly relate to the job starting out. The majority of the depts around here are on hiring freezes, but they expect to start hiring again in the next year or two. My goal is to be on the job somewhere by the time I am 40, that way I can put in 20 to 25 years. I have no problem moving and have been looking other places, even out of state. I just want some suggestons as to what will make me more marketable and also help with potential growth down the road. I will appreciate any opinions and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Anybody? Bueller, Bueller

Forum Member

What state are you in???

Suggest go directly to paramedic and skip everything else

If you want to come to tx:::: check weekly

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Forum Member

I currently have an Associates in Fire Science and an EMT-B Cert. Honestly if I could do it all over again, I would go for my medic cert. The degree in Fire Science might help you get a promotion, but the medic cert will help you get the job.

Forum Member

Default Career Direction

I have an Associates in Fire Technology & Administration. If I was you, I would go for paramedic. A number of career departments provide EMS and have ALS, so they want paramedics.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Paramedic is in the works. It will be 2013 before I can start Paramedic classes though. So I am working on my A.S. degree in the meantime. I am just at a crossroads where I am about done with my basic A.S. classes and can go either towards a A.S. Degree in Fire Science or EMS.

Thread Information