Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What else should I be studying?

Hey everyone, first post on the forums though I have been lurking for a while. I'm 22 with a BS in Emergency Management/Homeland Security and have recently started working towards my AAS in Paramedic. I've always wanted to be a fire medic and I think I'm getting close to the resume I was dreaming of +/- 6 years ago. I'll be looking for employment in metropolitan areas in the SE (B'ham, Atlanta, Nashville, Huntsville) in the next 2 years. I've applied prior to completing my BS and have made it to the interview twice, but was young and I think that held me back (20 and 21). Now I have a few free semesters before Medic school starts and I'm wondering what I should study? I've been looking at a AAS in “Fire services management” or picking up a second language (Spanish). Any other good options or advice out there? (not really looking to get FF certs as I have no way to utilize them and all departments in the area send you threw an academy anyway).

Forum Member

any volunteer depts you can work with??

that will look better than any classes

or do you have emt-b?? if so use that for some hands on

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    any volunteer depts you can work with??

that will look better than any classes

or do you have emt-b?? if so use that for some hands on
    Starting EMT-B next semester followed by AEMT in the summer; I currently work hospital security and know many supervisors within the local ambulance company so it shouldn't be too hard to get on after. The question comes in with what to do during Fall 2011 and Spring 2012 as the 3 semester long paramedic classes start Summer 2012.

Volunteering isn't an option though I did earlier when in college. I currently live in the middle of the city +/- 20 miles from the nearest volunteer station and they will not allow anyone who does not live in their coverage area to work there. That's why I'm looking at continuing further education.

Forum Member

maybe look at other pre req's for a RN license,

good second job or fall back job

as far a further fire courses, maybe look at management, or finance courses

Forum Member

I see that you have plenty of school experience. Congratulations on completing your Bachelors. Strong work!

What I see is missing in your resume is any practical experience. Complete your EMT and get a job on an ambilance. THis will help you greatly when you make it to your paramedic field internship. If you are seeing a shooting or stabbing for the first time as a paramedic intern, you will be well behind the rest of the crew. As an intern, you will be expected to direct the EMTs around.

Another recomendation is to work toward completing a basic fire academy at the junior college. The same thing applies for learning how to throw a ladder or pull hose. If you are doing it for the first time in a fire department's academy, you are already behind the resto fo the group. Fire department academeys have a pretty high failure rate. You want to learn as much beforehand as you can. All of the above recommendations will enhance your chances of getting hired. More importantly, they enhance your ability to complete the training once you are hired.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the responses thus far, I guess I should supply a little more background. I took my basic right out of highschool and worked part time for an ambulance company for about a year while going to a 4 year college in a small town. There I also volunteered for 2.5 years at the local FD. However, due to the lack of hours for a full time student (and mostly, my immaturity at the time) I lost my EMT-B certification (lapsed). So I'm going back to get it next semester.

The main question I have is; in conjunction with working for an ambulance company to gain experience and working towards my paramedic, should I use the two extra semesters I will have to get the majority of my AAS in fire service managemnt or learn Spanish? These are the two options I've pretty much decided on, though I am very open to suggestions.

Thread Information