Thread: Nfpa 1906

Forum Member

Default Nfpa 1906

Does taking a used chassis and building a brush truck (factory built skid) every thing else dept built) need to be built to NFPA 1906 ? Our mayor has found us a "free" chassis and thinks the rest is simple. I feel even though it is a used chassis , it should be considered a new truck and sent to a repudable builder. Any links to lawsuits and or rulings ? I struck out so far.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Does taking a used chassis and building a brush truck (factory built skid) every thing else dept built) need to be built to NFPA 1906 ? Our mayor has found us a "free" chassis and thinks the rest is simple. I feel even though it is a used chassis , it should be considered a new truck and sent to a repudable builder. Any links to lawsuits and or rulings ? I struck out so far.
    If you are worried about lawsuits and such, since the Mayor is involved, have the Municipality's solicitor get involved. If they bless the whole thing, you are in the clear.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

FWD - actually I guess I am fishing a little. We have a new Mayor that wants to micro manage. We need to replace a 35 year old brush truck (mini pumper) - The best course for us (small municipality) is to replace the old mini with an interface type truck. We run a 20 year old rescue pumper on structure and rescue and it is really overloaded. We would like to move rescue duties to a new interface (timberwolf type) engine and also let it handle a grass fires, and be 3rd due on structures. Building a skid type 6 rig wil not help us "lighten the load on the engine, but will absolutely do away with any chance of funding a new engine. The mayor has taken it on himself to aqquire a used chassis and thinks thats all there is to it. I would like for him to realize nothing is free. If the type 6 is forced on us, I feel the city should have to have it proffesionally built.
    ?

Forum Member

Is availability of $ no object?

If a new body (on any chassis) current version of NFPA1906 applies. If just a skid unit in a pickup our on a Cl6 chassis w/flatbed could make a good case that 1906 does not apply. Within availabile funds conforming to safety "suggestions" of 1906 is certainly a good thing.

If there is a single area of apparatus construction where NFPA standards are widely ignored, or selectively ignored, it is brush/wildland trucks. Call it risk analysis/management if you like. Or just budget conservation

Going from a used DOD surplus pickup with a new skid unit at $8000 to _____ rapidly escalates the cost in $ and %. Have to answer what is good enough vs whatever other wants might have.

Does a newer wildland truck on the used chassis improve your operation or does it reduce your effectiveness?

Thread Information