Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Voyager is right on the Money...... And, If you can find a copy of "Pride and Ownership" by Chief Rick Laskey, add that to your library. Rick has a very positive approach to situations like the one you mentioned, and his book reflects that. Good Luck, give us an update from time to time........
    Ill keep this thread going with updates,

And about the books, i have been recommended them before, guess its time to check out Amazon.com

Just some quick notes,

I did get 3 committees started in the last month or so. We have a uniform committee thats going to set up a uniform program for the department, a by-laws committee that is going to straighten out the by-laws situation, and recently a workout equipment committee thats going to be in charge of getting workout equipment for the station.

Things are moving in a positive way, and there has been a big difference when it comes to hospital times. We used to spend almost an hour at the hospital after dropping a patient off, now that time is down to 10 minutes. It took 3 years to change "the way its always been done", but its a change for the better.

Also, we recently purchased a 3000 gallon E-one pumper tanker to replace two 1970's homemade tankers that are currently in our fleet. It will be the first new fire apparatus we have purchased since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by ChathamVFD9921 View Post
    Just some quick notes,

I did get 3 committees started in the last month or so. We have a uniform committee thats going to set up a uniform program for the department, a by-laws committee that is going to straighten out the by-laws situation, and recently a workout equipment committee thats going to be in charge of getting workout equipment for the station.

Things are moving in a positive way, and there has been a big difference when it comes to hospital times. We used to spend almost an hour at the hospital after dropping a patient off, now that time is down to 10 minutes. It took 3 years to change "the way its always been done", but its a change for the better.

Also, we recently purchased a 3000 gallon E-one pumper tanker to replace two 1970's homemade tankers that are currently in our fleet. It will be the first new fire apparatus we have purchased since 2004.

Good for you!

And Exercise equipment can be obtained through donations usually very easily.

Forum Member

Just some quick notes,

Nice, we just ordered a Pierce engine tanker with a 2500 gal tank. We've got some nice equipment now and are doing some really good training to go along with it.

This is a pretty good thread. This is currently happeneing on my volunteer department now as well. There is a group of 3-4 younger members that are basically spearhaeding change through the dept. None of the members have been there less than 5 years and all of them have showed time and time again they they are there for the right reasons. Over time, the "new school" guys have gained the trust of the rest of the dept, the officer's, and the "old school" guys. They have been there long enough and have enough experience that they realize that things are done the way they are done because it works. They don't want to completely do away with "the way it's always been." They are just making improvments. Things that have been changed were not just changed over night. They were tried and shown to be an improvment over what was being done. Time and trust are key on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy171 View Post
    This is a pretty good thread. This is currently happeneing on my volunteer department now as well. There is a group of 3-4 younger members that are basically spearhaeding change through the dept. None of the members have been there less than 5 years and all of them have showed time and time again they they are there for the right reasons. Over time, the "new school" guys have gained the trust of the rest of the dept, the officer's, and the "old school" guys. They have been there long enough and have enough experience that they realize that things are done the way they are done because it works. They don't want to completely do away with "the way it's always been." They are just making improvments. Things that have been changed were not just changed over night. They were tried and shown to be an improvment over what was being done. Time and trust are key on this issue.
    Thanks for the reply, and good luck to your department

Quick update for those following,

The uniform program is coming along nicely. We have some demo coats being made now that we are going to take back to the department so people can see what there buying.

We have a mandatory meeting tomorrow, rumors has it the Chief is going to retire. He's been chief for 10 years, and on the department for 20. If he is in fact retiring, most likely the EMS Captain and Fire LT will be following him. They have both been on the department since the 80's

MembersZone Subscriber

Lets see... A volunteer Fire Department where the Chief is paid $600.00 per month and the Asst. gets 300.00 per month. Responding FF's with probation completed and attending more than 5 calls get $10.00 per call. Humm.... Population of the Twp. is 2,158 (2000 yr) Fairly new Engine 91-2 and a new tanker on the way.... But we need to have a change in the leadership because the "Old Guard" wasn't progressive enough. And to think all this comment on the coming change has been made by a FF with only 2 years experience. Maybe the problem is a lack of insight into what has been accomplished and how it was achieved over the past 20 years. Even if the Chief only learned at 1/2 your learning capacity, he still has 1,000% more knowledge from experience and handling the political aspects of dealing with the politicians of your township. Glad to see he has decided to continue on as a firefighter and not walk away. My advice would be to find a way to associate with that man and absorb some of that "Old School" so when you eventually step into the role of leader, you can handle it properly.
    Just another "Old Guy" with a few (43) years in the harness.

KuhShise,

As i have mentioned in this post, i have "calmed down" from my original harshness i presented in this thread. When i made it we were going through a rather rough patch, believe it or not i actually really admire my Chief for what he has done with the department.

As an update, the Chief did resign from the Chief position but is remaining on the department as a fireman, where he will be a great asset as a driver/engineer/pump operator. While he was Chief, we passed every level that came to vote, purchased 4 new trucks and also increased the pay rate 3 times over a 10 year period.

Forum Member

Just some quick notes,

This post is useless without pics.

Thread Information