Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is hiring?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Who is hiring?

Been trying to break into the contract market for a year now and since taking a job at a local municipality I have been out of the loop. So just wondering who has any info on who is currently hiring?

Default Keep Your Stateside Job!

Listen carefully, keep your stateside job as majority of contract guys I am sure would like to get a job back in the states.

Contract world is starting to be smaller again, especially for US citizens. Iraq is closing down with exception of a few sites and a very few firefighters. Afghanistan may still be hiring some but they are trying to get more non-US people.

It is also all about certifications, not much on experience.

IF you are set on getting into contracting try:

Afghan - DynCorp, ITT Systems
    Iraq - KBR
    Kwajalein - krsjv.com
    Antarctica - Raytheon (I beleive they still have it)
    Djibouti - PAE Group
    Kuwait and others I am not sure who is there still.
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

Forum Member

You also have
    Andros Island-- CSC
    Caracao Island-- I believe is ITT
    Wake Island-- Chugach
    Moron, Spain-- not sure who has the contract but they don't hire much from the US.

emtguy is spot on, you need your certs more than anything. ARFF, FF II, HazMat ops, 1st responder is what you need for the most part to get in the contract world. Having your Driver/operator certs will help you along with HazMat Tech and EMT-B. I would tell you to keep your job in the states, but if your really wanting to bust out, I know Kwajalein is hiring all the time.
    Hopes this helps

Forum Member

The responses above are spot on. I do know that ITT is hiring some right now and will be hiring quite a few come January. KBR recently got the Iraq contract and is hiring some and will surely be hiring once they get completely settled.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've heard Raytheon has the Antarctica contract until this march...but they have been getting several extensions, so they may have another such extension after March.

Forum Member

I have also heard rumor of KBR getting the Antartica contract . . .

Forum Member

I have applied with ITT systems and Dyncorp. Hope to hear something from them soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spain and Antarctica info

Spain is VBR which is Vinnell, Brown and Root. They also have Turkey. Spain hires Firefighters who are NREMT. They are currently full (I know because I am working here). If they do post it is at www.VBR-Turkey-Spain.com . As far as getting hired in Turkey they only hire A/Cs and they are currently full as well.

Saudi Arabia is Northrup Grumman but I can never find the link so I always go to EskanFD.com and they have a link to their recruiters if you look around.

Antarctica is still Raytheon until the end of March 2012 when they are finally transitioning over the contract to either KBR or C2MHill, or how ever it is, but which one I have no idea. From talking with my former co-workers who are there still and ones that have left the pay is significantly higher (40%) when I did a full year from Aug 09-Aug 10 . You can find the pay and the web link to Raytheon's hiring page on DODFire.com under the job section. From what I hear they are still understaffed for the remaining of the summer (Oct-Feb) and have not filled all the winter slots (Feb-Aug) yet.

Like EMTGuy625 said earlier though I would seriously think about leaving a full time career for contract unless you absolutely have to for some reason (crazy ex-wife / ex-husband) since all the markets are saturated with already qualified candidates since Iraq has downsized.

Good Luck
    -C
    Last edited by CorreeyW; 11-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    -Corey
    Moron A.B.
    Spain

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by philfirerescue View Post
    I've heard Raytheon has the Antarctica contract until this march...but they have been getting several extensions, so they may have another such extension after March.
    Hey Phil! How is the weather up there? Gonna come visit me in Spain?
    -Corey
    Moron A.B.
    Spain

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

Forum Member

Default Fire Inspector - Kabul

A fantastic opportunity has arisen within a leading international defence contracting company for experienced and committed fire fighter's to work on a long term contract on Kabul International Airport, Afghanistan. This job based inside the camp, the entire role is based within the wire.

The successful candidate will be responsible for inspecting buildings to locate hazardous conditions and fire code violations and thus identify corrective actions necessary.

Specific Accountabilities
    * Follow safety regulations, in particular the safety regulations which pertain to the Fire Services and operations;
    * Participates in Fire Prevention and Life Safety inspections;
    * Conducting fire inspections;
    * Carrying out inspections, testing and maintenance of hand portable Firefighting equipment. Life Safety equipment and fire fighting vehicles;
    * Participates in the inspection, testing and maintenance of all fixed or portable extinguishing or detection systems, fire apparatus and water distribution systems;
    * Assisting in the inspection, testing and maintenance of all fire suppression systems, fire detection systems, fire alarm systems, water distribution systems; and
    * Take part in regular training and keep up to date with all NFPA guidelines.

Educational & Experience Requirements
    * NFPA 1021: Fire Officer II or Equivalent
    * NFPA 1041: Fire Instructor II or Equivalent
    * NFPA 1031: Fire Inspector II or Equivalent
    * NFPA 1033: Fire Investigator or Equivalent

Package
    70,000 USD per year (this is inclusive of all hazard pay and uplifts) – WE DO OFFER 3 MONTHS FULLY PAID LEAVE PER YEAR

Hours are 60 hours per week.

Rotation of 3 months in country and 1 month out of country, this equates to 3 months paid leave a year.

Accommodation, Food, Laundry, Flights etc. are all provided.

Please send cvs to chloe@millarcameron.com

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

70,000 USD per year (this is inclusive of all hazard pay and uplifts)
    Way (way way way way) too low---Do $140 and I will be there tommorow.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CorreeyW View Post
    Hey Phil! How is the weather up there? Gonna come visit me in Spain?
    its 70 degrees here (and in November!) and soon buddy, soon haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtguy625 View Post
    Listen carefully, keep your stateside job as majority of contract guys I am sure would like to get a job back in the states.

Contract world is starting to be smaller again, especially for US citizens. Iraq is closing down with exception of a few sites and a very few firefighters. Afghanistan may still be hiring some but they are trying to get more non-US people.

It is also all about certifications, not much on experience.

IF you are set on getting into contracting try:

Afghan - DynCorp, ITT Systems
    Iraq - KBR
    Kwajalein - krsjv.com
    Antarctica - Raytheon (I beleive they still have it)
    Djibouti - PAE Group
    Kuwait and others I am not sure who is there still.
    KRS has jobs listed on their website, but are currently only looking for Lieutenants and Captains. However, several of the firefighters have applied to new jobs in Afghannyland and may be leaving soon.

Forum Member

Default Chief Fire Inspector and Fire Inspector

We are currently looking to recruit for both a Fire Inspector and Chief Fire Inspector for Afghanistan working on a rotational basis on a support services contract, please find additional details below:

Chief Fire Inspector – Fire Inspector III qualification a must, ideally to have active military clearance – Paying $95,000 Rotation 3 months on 1 month off.
    Fire Inspector – Fire Inspector I & II a must, ideally to have active military clearance – Paying $75,000 Rotation 3 months on 1 month off.
    Candidates would need to be able to start within 3 weeks.

Would you be interested? If not would you know anybody who may be? Please feel free to pass on the details.

If you are interested please send your resume and qualifications to matthew.steptoe@randstadcpe.co m

Forum Member

Though I do not have much information on this, but a few guys from my department got offered Dispatching jobs from Dyncorp in Afghanistan. They said they were offered 104000 a year, get paid vacations every four months, and if there was any open firefighter spots they would look internally first for hiring. That being said, they were told they will be living in tents, and would be working twelve hour shifts seven days a week.

Hey yall i am a Firefighter 1 and a hazmat tech and Emt-B. I was just wondering though if you have to have firefighter 2 as well to work as a contract firefighter or if you were able to with just the Firefighter 1 cert.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Minimum requirements

Guys... I think this subject has been beat to death. You must have ff1&2, Hazmat ops & awareness.

All certs must be IFSAC/DOD/Proboard... Not local or state

And preferred
    You should also have telcom 1&2, D/O, and ARRF, ARF D/O
    The later is to put you higher on the list of applicants.

Most places are now ARRF missions, all over the world, so if you really want to be in the contract world, you should have them all.

Default Antarctica

PAE under Lockheed Martin has been awarded a 13 year contract from the Nat'l Science Foundation for their Antarctica mission and support sites (Denver CO and NZ) on ice mission includes emergency services.

paegroup.com has job postings for the ice but I suspect this is just a mandatory requirement per contract change-over from Raytheon. Not sure when this change will occur, maybe March 2012 as in previous post. I think most, if not all, existing Raytheon people will stay on board but who knows.

I also do not know any pay information. Hopefully it is the same or higher.

Any of you down there already may be able to shed some light on this.
    Last edited by emtguy625; 01-01-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Thanks for the ice info

Quote Originally Posted by emtguy625 View Post
    PAE under Lockheed Martin has been awarded a 13 year contract from the Nat'l Science Foundation for their Antarctica mission and support sites (Denver CO and NZ) on ice mission includes emergency services.

paegroup.com has job postings for the ice but I suspect this is just a mandatory requirement per contract change-over from Raytheon. Not sure when this change will occur, maybe March 2012 as in previous post. I think most, if not all, existing Raytheon people will stay on board but who knows.

I also do not know any pay information. Hopefully it is the same or higher.

Any of you down there already may be able to shed some light on this.
    Thanks for the info about PAE. As an Ice Alum, I like to know who I should keep an eye out for if I ever want to go back.

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys,

Here is a list of my certs. Let me know if I qual for any positions, so I dont waste my time looking for nothing.
    IFSAC Firefighter 1 & 2
    ProBoard Firefighter 1 & 2
    ProBoard Haz-Mat Operations and Awareness
    PA Firefighter 1 & 2
    PA Basic Vehicle Rescue
    PA Haz-Mat Awareness and Operations
    PA EVOC
    PA CPAP for BLS Certification
    PA EMT-B
    CPR and AED certified
    Incident Command Training (NIMS); I-100, I-200, I-700, I-800 & various other ICS certifications
    Basic Rope Rescue

Also I am a Veteran of OIF 07-08

Thread Information