Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rescue101

Thread: Thoughts on Ferrara

Forum Member

Default Thoughts on Ferrara

I know this is random thought but i for one am very impressed with what Ferrara Fire Apparatus has been putting out lately but i would like to know what the firehouse community thinks. If you have had extended experience with a Ferrara apparatus your input would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ferrara Chassis & Body

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter_mechan View Post
    I know this is random thought but i for one am very impressed with what Ferrara Fire Apparatus has been putting out lately but i would like to know what the firehouse community thinks. If you have had extended experience with a Ferrara apparatus your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Ferrara with regards to the manufacturing of a chassis and body does not have to take a back seat to anyone in the industary.I am not a fan of Ferrara for one reason or another, mostly because of how they treat the customer after the truck has been put in service. But overall you have to give credit where credit is due. Since the advent of the holding company investing capital in Ferrara, changes have occured that have greately improved their image. My understanding is that Mr Chris Ferrara after the first of the year will no longer have a say in how the company functions. This will have a positive influence on prospective customers as the growth of the company proceeds through the upcoming year. It will be interesting to watching Ferrara this coming year since their involvement with FDNY. The cost of the apparatus is insignificant compaired to the establishment of a service center manned 24/7 365 days a year. I wish them well as there is room for them in this industry.

Forum Member

Where is the service center going to be? It'd be nice to have one up in the northeast- Holden, LA is a loonnggg way from here!

I imagine that the name brand recognition they get from building all those FDNY rigs will help sell more units to other depts in the area. A nearby service/warranty center would be a great asset in competing with other big builders- many of whom DO have one or more here, while others are simply a lot closer. Judging by their recent deliveries page, FFA is selling more and more pieces in the northeast.

I don't have any hands on experience with their product- Pierce and E-one are the big sellers in my area, with regional builders in a strong second place.

I suspect you'll get a few ""it's not my choice, so it's junk" responses. Brand threads always do...

Forum Member

We have recently ordered a new 85' Mid-mount tower from Ferrara. We were VERY impressed with their equipment and construction when we went to the plant for our pre-construction meeting. Everything is built to be very heavy duty. We looked at numerous other vendors before making our decision. We have had very positive contact with the local dealers as well as directly from the manufacturer. This will be our first Ferrara so we'll have to let you know more once we take receipt of the truck. It's scheduled to arrive early Spring of 2012.
    Lynn Fernbaugh
    Washington Fire Co. #1
    Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
    www.washies.org

Forum Member

You gonna LOVE that Ladder! Smeal disguised. T.C.
    FIREMECH1 likes this.

Forum Member

We spent about 9 months working with a Ferrara dealer out of Long Island. Everything we saw about the trucks they built was positive. In fact, we wrote our specs with a lot of the Ferrara designs in mind. When it came time for bid openings....they were simply too expensive. Ended up with someone else's engine (which we are very happy with) but had/have nothing bad to say about Ferrara. Sales guy did admit, they sometimes come in higher priced than even Pierce.

I would have no doubts about looking at Ferrara's again in the future.

PS - being within an hour of FDNY...who makes their trucks/engines means little to anyone in this area. It's common knowledge you can't buy the same as what FDNY is getting most times.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We have a Ferrara in our house. It's a pretty good truck, and definitely a lot of truck for what we paid. Out budget was VERY limited and first of all I have give Ferrara credit for playing ball with us. They were the only manufacturer that would, including regional/local builders.

Sure there are little things I would love to have different, some cosmetic things I wish were finished a little cleaner. But on the whole it's a great truck for what we needed and what we were budgeted.

Everything that was specified was completed as specified without issue.

The local dealer/service center has been okay, not amazing, but okay. They're service/support has been better for us than our local E-One dealer has, but that's not a difficult standard to surpass.

On the whole I think Ferrara has some great products and as with most companies you really pay for what you get. If you want a truck to be closer to perfect, you have to pay for it. But that's just my $0.02 worth.

I just hope some day our town will learn to spend more than the bottom of the barrel, so we can have a truck or (dare I say it?) two that are really well built and have continued support and service to match. Oh, wait, sorry, slipped into a day dream for a moment... I'm back now
    ~ Doc

- Happy Public Servant working in the Public Safety Field since 1998

“Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils.” ~ General John Stark

Forum Member

Living in the land of Ferrera ....

Ferrera in this area is much like ALF in the northeast or Maxim in New England in the 60s and 70s as just about every department have at least one and most have multiples, or the entire fleet.

We run 4 ferrera commercial engines, a custom engine, custom heavy rescue and tanker, ranging in age from 1991 to the latest, a 2009. In fact, our department has been purchasing from Ferrera since they opened the doors.

In general it's a well built, well running truck. As one poster said, the finish isn't quite as nice as say a Stuphen or Pierce. We get what are called the state contract apparatus, which is a fairly basic piece and chassis (Usually GMC on the commercial side and HME on the cutom) and actually you get quite a bit of bang for the buck.

Would I like a fleet of Stuphen's like my previous VFD in the northeast? Hell yes, but I'm not unhappy running Ferreras.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    L
    In general it's a well built, well running truck. As one poster said, the finish isn't quite as nice as say a Stuphen or Pierce. We get what are called the state contract apparatus, which is a fairly basic piece and chassis (Usually GMC on the commercial side and HME on the cutom) and actually you get quite a bit of bang for the buck.

Would I like a fleet of Stuphen's like my previous VFD in the northeast? Hell yes, but I'm not unhappy running Ferreras.
    It's Sutphen. That's a pet peeve of mine and you did it twice!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    It's Sutphen. That's a pet peeve of mine and you did it twice!
    That's Ok, he spelled Ferrara wrong too a few times...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    That's Ok, he spelled Ferrara wrong too a few times...
    At least nobody misspelled E-Won.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    .. ...there is room for them in this industry.
    Really? Room for some but not all that are currently operating. The low sales of the last couple years are likely to continue and that can't support the number of manfuacturers that exist. Likely to be bargains to be had as mfg eat thru their working capital. And then die.

Forum Member

So what changed over the last hundred or so? Steam pump companies came and went, as did Chemical units. Just as surely there will be a rearrangement of the current Top contenders. Those that have enough flexibility(AND CASH)will likely survive the dip. Others won't but another will spring up in their place. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    At least nobody misspelled E-Won.
    E-Won('t)? T.C,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    PS - being within an hour of FDNY...who makes their trucks/engines means little to anyone in this area. It's common knowledge you can't buy the same as what FDNY is getting most times.
    True- they spec the heck out of their apparatus to survive the brutal call volume, and often nasty streets! It just seemed like when they were buying Macks, so was everyone else around them. Ditto for Seagrave. Those guys do in a year what most of us run in the lifetime of a rig.

Forum Member

Who in the area will handle the warranty work? Looking at a new pumper/rescue and this is going to be one of are major concerns.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Ferrara....where to begin. Drove a Ferrara engine and then a Ferrara/Smeal 107' dry truck.

Suffice it to say I missed our E-One pumper when I drove the pumper and now I'm glad we have a Pierce Arrow XT aluminum 100' truck.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2 View Post
    Ferrara....where to begin. Drove a Ferrara engine and then a Ferrara/Smeal 107' dry truck.

Suffice it to say I missed our E-One pumper when I drove the pumper and now I'm glad we have a Pierce Arrow XT aluminum 100' truck.

I would have to agree, I think the E-one's, Spartans and Pierce's drive a hell of a lot nicer than the Ferraras that I have driven in my day. Plus I have also herd lots of issues in my area with the dealer after the sale. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world.

Forum Member

we're lucky in that we basically buy the trucks from a salesman that works out of the factory. No dealer.

And all service is handled by a travelling shop truck that works out of the factory.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information