MembersZone Subscriber

Default Station Exhaust Systems

What systems does everyone here use? Looking for more info on systems that dont use a hose hooked up to the exhaust stack of the truck. Who makes the best?

Forum Member

No hose to hook up the trucks and works great.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-prod...m-from-AirVac/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

anything that doesn't use a hose is substandard IMO. The hose is what catches the diesel particulates and exhaust gasses. It has been proven that the diesel exhaust is far more dangerous than fighting fires or even smoking and earlier this year they linked it to testicular cancer in men because with the exhaust push across the apparatus floor and our ppe sitting in the ready position the liner of our bunker pants acts like a sponge and absorbs all the crap. I would be willing to bet if you guys did air samples in the living quarters and bay floors that the hoses would win.

MembersZone Subscriber

This would be going into an airport fire station, the exhaust pipe on the truck is verticle in the middle of the truck, I agree with you TRUCK61 the exhaust systems that use hoses are the best.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbeau View Post
    This would be going into an airport fire station, the exhaust pipe on the truck is verticle in the middle of the truck, I agree with you TRUCK61 the exhaust systems that use hoses are the best.

Then in the name of God, if they are the best, why did you ask the question?

Every airport fire house I have seen uses the type of system which I gave a link to. They may be those that use a hose system. I can't say.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I asked the question because there is more than one company making hose and hoseless exhaust systems, just wondering if anyone has had trouble with any of them or if there are some that out perform.

Forum Member

I guess plymovent does make vertical stack compatible systems.

http://www.plymovent.com/us/solution...il_system.aspx

I've only used plymovents for "regular" fire trucks so I don't know how good the vertical system is but if like their other systems it should be just fine.

Forum Member

At the vollie house we have the Ward No Smoke diesel filters and it seems to work very well. We also have a supplemental exhaust system throughout the bays that turns on when the doors are open and something crosses the laser beam for the door.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Almost all the stations (25) have Plymovents. 2 still have positive pressure systems installed and (cough-cough) working. The newest station has something different/new.

Don't remember the name of it, but there is an air pressure sensor sensitive enough that it turns on the evacuation fans when either a rig is started or a door opens. Supposedly, it will suck the air out of the 3 wide, 2 deeps bay in 2 minutes.

Trust me, I was doing what you are doing right now, with the evacuation of gasses inside a 6,000 sq/ft area.

If your apparatus bay doesn't have a down draft 100,00cfs system or a physical system that attaches to the rigs exhaust, you will be breathing the crap, one way or another.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

It seems "greener" to use a system with hoses anyways. Better to capture the smoke and exhaust it, then trying to do an entire airchange or whatever it is those vent systems try to do. I guess it works if you're a small place that doesn't do many runs, but try doing that at a place that runs multiple times a day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCK61 View Post
    anything that doesn't use a hose is substandard IMO. The hose is what catches the diesel particulates and exhaust gasses. It has been proven that the diesel exhaust is far more dangerous than fighting fires or even smoking and earlier this year they linked it to testicular cancer in men because with the exhaust push across the apparatus floor and our ppe sitting in the ready position the liner of our bunker pants acts like a sponge and absorbs all the crap. I would be willing to bet if you guys did air samples in the living quarters and bay floors that the hoses would win.
    Can you footnote or explain how particles in your gear cause cancer. This is soot (dirt) not Plutonium. Unless you snort your pants it's not in your lungs,

The new clean diesels are going to put the exhaust guys out of business. 2011 diesel emissions are supposedly cleaner than the Wards stuff. In cities the exhaust being cleaner than the air going in the intake.

If you don't have a hose exhaust system. the equipment is very expensinve. Factor that in on replacement apparatus plans. There are also addon SCR systems available for diesel trucks and the feds have repower grants available thru state EPAs.

Let's talk fire trucks!

In our new volly station, we're using AirMation. The placement of vehicles in our station is going to be very dynamic for the next five years or so (addition of a reserve engine, possibly two additional ambulances, and possibly replacing the heavy rescue with a ladder truck), so we had reservations about using the Plymovent system.

For the record, we use Plymovent at work, and it does a great job.

Anyway, back to the hoseless idea at the VFD. We have one AirMation box above each of the 10 bay doors, they're all sequenced to work together when any of the doors open. If you're standing in the bays, which measure approximately 100' x 75' x 40'H at the peak of the roof, you can feel the air moving within the bays when the AirMation system kicks in. Don't get me wrong, it's not sucking your shirt off your back, but relative to the amount of CF in the bays, it does a remarkable job.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Can you footnote or explain how particles in your gear cause cancer. This is soot (dirt) not Plutonium.
    Through skin absorption, not inhalation.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Box. When your gear is stored in the rack or on the floor next to a rig in the ready position and an apparatus starts without a hose the exhaust gets pushed across the apparatus floor and particles get absorbed into your bunker gear liner and when you wear your gear your crotch area gets the hottest and your sweat glands open and your body absorbs this. The constant exposure has been linked to testicular cancer. There's a study that was released earlier this year. I hope I explained it better for you. BTW even with the cleaner desiels coming out you still need hoses to direct the exhaust gasses outside so we are not breathing it.

Forum Member

I believe "those in the know" have also looked at our hoods as being a big area for trans-dermal absorption of chemicals. Its right against our skin, its a very thin part of our gear so chemicals on the outside of the hood don't have to go far to get to your skin.

the one good thing about automatic systems is it takes out the compliance issue. I'm all for hose systems capturing the exhaust at the source, but if people don't use it it's worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    In our new volly station, we're using AirMation. The placement of vehicles in our station is going to be very dynamic for the next five years or so (addition of a reserve engine, possibly two additional ambulances, and possibly replacing the heavy rescue with a ladder truck), so we had reservations about using the Plymovent system.
    Not to sound like a salesman, I'm just a big fan (haha punny) of the system, but why is that of concern? With the track system as as long as the tail pipe comes out at the same side what vehicle is there doesn't matter. It'll slide to wherever the tailpipe is. You can even have 2 rigs parked in a row. The only issue I think would be having the fire trucks and ambulances trading places because of hose size.
    Last edited by nameless; 11-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information