Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Just out of curiousity, has that had an effect on the number of members? And if so, what effect has it had on operations?
    Actually no. We are bringing on 7 new volunteers next month.

Also surprising, we require our volunteers in addition to the full timers to get yearly NFPA physicals, plus to even get hired you need the full physical, bloodwork, ekg, etc, physical agility, psychological evaluation and test, interview, background check and fingerprints. It takes about 6 months for someone to go through the process.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Arrrrggghh....

100 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress.

Whether you like it or not, NIMS is the standard. It is not saved for a major disaster, if it is then no one will know it when that major disaster does hit.

Maybe your area won't see the major disaster - but you may end up going to an area that will. Having lots of people come to an incident that have no knowledge of NIMS, simply because it was too tough to take the class, or it won't happen here, etc, is simply just another headache.
    NIMS is just a fancy government requirement for working with other agencies, which many depts. were doing already. To me it was just another unecessary mandate, (In my fulltime depts scheme anyway, we'd already been doing this stuff for years. It was more of a rubber stamp thing to us.) while good for some depts that operated in a vacuum, it's not the be all. end all. I still think there are a lot of depts. that have more important needs like equipment and basic fire fighting training. Yes, I am NIMS compliant and so is both my depts. It's just not high on my list of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    NIMS is just a fancy government requirement for working with other agencies, which many depts. were doing already. To me it was just another unecessary mandate, (In my fulltime depts scheme anyway, we'd already been doing this stuff for years. It was more of a rubber stamp thing to us.) while good for some depts that operated in a vacuum, it's not the be all. end all. I still think there are a lot of depts. that have more important needs like equipment and basic fire fighting training. Yes, I am NIMS compliant and so is both my depts. It's just not high on my list of priorities.
    It goes to show someone can pass the tests and still have no clue.

A requirement for working with other agencies?

It is a framework - that can change.

It does not cost to be compliant, so your comment about departments having more important needs like equipment is nonsensical.

No one claims it to be perfect, but properly used it can save lives.

100, 200, and 700. An evening on the computer.

Thread Information