Forum Member

Default FPSI Written exams, any ideas on what to know for the tests

I am taking the Test for Chattanooga Tennessee and I see that they use the FPSI written exams. I have previously taken two exams that also use FPSI ( Goshen Indiana and Youngstown Ohio) I struggled with both of them and failed both by a hair. Does anyone have any tricks on what to focus on when studying the study books?

Thanks

G

KTF
    Forum Member

Do they tell you which edition study guide to use for the test? Order the practice exam and study everything in the study guides. Flash cards helped me. You pretty much need to memorize that book. Good luck

Forum Member

Default FPSI Tests

I agree. I took an FPSI test for Las Vegas almost two years ago, and scored a 95. How? I highlighted every single important fact, measurement, and detail on every page of the whole book (it was only ~85 pages). I wrote out flash cards that dealt with those details, and practiced every one until I knew every card (~75 of them) cold. I seriously studied the book and study guide for about 4-6 weeks. When the time came to take the test, I knew the answers to the questions before I finished the question. When I left the test, I was almost positive I scored a 100. I think I missed three out of 108.

Study the guide as much as possible. Create flash cards. Study both. Repeat until you know every detail cold.

Good luck!!

Forum Member

FPSI has several "general knowledge" exams (not the memory books) as well. Google "FPSI CEB-PST" and you should be able to find a study guide.

Or...look @ this:

http://firedept.ci.lubbock.tx.us/pdf/ExamGuide.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    Do they tell you which edition study guide to use for the test? Order the practice exam and study everything in the study guides. Flash cards helped me. You pretty much need to memorize that book. Good luck

It is the 10th edition. But yeah I had a feeling there was no easy way except to read the thing over and over, I guess the problem I think is there is like a million different numbers and percentages to memorize, give me the math and reading comprehension any day lol. I thought that being a firefighter would help since it was about firefighting boy was I wrong. I never have been good at tests all through High School and College Is struggled.

Thanx for the help guys!!!

Forum Member

I have taken a test off of that edition TPM. Know literally every number in the book and really study the sop/sog section in the rear because that is where a lot of people messed up. I made like 500 notecards from the book, studied them really hard and almost aced the test. It's all about how many hours you are willing to put into the study material. Good luck brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DblBlack26 View Post
    I have taken a test off of that edition TPM. Know literally every number in the book and really study the sop/sog section in the rear because that is where a lot of people messed up. I made like 500 notecards from the book, studied them really hard and almost aced the test. It's all about how many hours you are willing to put into the study material. Good luck brother.

Thanks for the info, I made a study sheet that ahs a majority of the statistics in it. Yeah I ran into trouble with sop/sog section

Thread Information