Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Thanks

Thanks for all that have given me information and their opinions. I will be pushing/recommending we go with the Ford F-550 SuperCab 4x4 with the Power Stroke Diesel Engine because that chassis had a GVWR of 19500 lbs which is considerably more then the Chevy 3500. I will also be pushing for a good All Terrain tire.

Again Thanks I appreciate the assistance.

Forum Member

http://www.facebook.com/skeeterbrush...eterbrushtruck
    Here's something else to look at.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rschultzjr View Post
    Thanks for all that have given me information and their opinions. I will be pushing/recommending we go with the Ford F-550 SuperCab 4x4 with the Power Stroke Diesel Engine because that chassis had a GVWR of 19500 lbs which is considerably more then the Chevy 3500. I will also be pushing for a good All Terrain tire.

Again Thanks I appreciate the assistance.
    I don't know if there are any made for extra heavy duty use, but Cooper Tire's S/T Discover all-terrain tire is the best I've ever used. They lasted a lot longer than the way over priced BF Goodrich A/T's I had. They're also a little more aggressive but retain a smooth ride. They're between Cooper's regular A/T and their mud terrain. Check into it, see if they have them for heavy duty applications. My first set was on a Ford F250 Super Duty and used on my family's farm. But you use is going to be a bit more HD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    I don't know if there are any made for extra heavy duty use, but Cooper Tire's S/T Discover all-terrain tire is the best I've ever used. They lasted a lot longer than the way over priced BF Goodrich A/T's I had. They're also a little more aggressive but retain a smooth ride. They're between Cooper's regular A/T and their mud terrain. Check into it, see if they have them for heavy duty applications. My first set was on a Ford F250 Super Duty and used on my family's farm. But you use is going to be a bit more HD.
    We've got 19.5" rims on our F-450, and the tire selection is nowhere near that of your standard pickup truck. At that size, it's more of a small commercial tire than a big pickup truck tire. We're currently running tires that have a similar tread pattern to the Goodyear G124's that are standard on many a fire truck, etc that has a mud/snow tire.

Forum Member

One option we have discussed for our brush rig is replacing the dual rears with super singles. Anyone tried that on a F-550?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    We've got 19.5" rims on our F-450, and the tire selection is nowhere near that of your standard pickup truck. At that size, it's more of a small commercial tire than a big pickup truck tire. We're currently running tires that have a similar tread pattern to the Goodyear G124's that are standard on many a fire truck, etc that has a mud/snow tire.
    Cool, thanks for letting me know. I really have no idea how the larger truck tires are done. I think I know what tire you are talking about, we ran them on the front of our Ladder truck. That tire is a beast.

Forum Member

Be careful swapping tires or wheels on a vehicle with a new factory warranty. Only use OEM approved tires or you could have problems getting them to warrant problems with the transfer case, rear diff, driveline and axles. Not saying you can't do it, but user beware and do lots of research!

Forum Member

My Department runs a 2008 f-550 CAFS mini pumper. We are a Ford department you could say but Ford has a long good track record for building work trucks. The GVW in these trucks is 19,500 and yeah you want a truck to legally and actually carry the equipment but bigger than anything is can you get it to stop. The Chevy Duramax will get your load up to speed but that 3500 is not equipped with the braking ability of the 550....Another truck to look at is the 5500 Dodge. They are making the cabs bigger now to accomodate a 5 man crew and its not a mega cab either. My cousin owns one for personal use and the back seat is much more roomier in the new ones. Also if worried about weight of bodies look at companies that build poly bodies. Much much lighter My Mini-pumper is built by Darley with a Poly body and they have lifetime warranties against any deformities or cracking and they hold up extremely well. My company website is www.darlingtonvolunteerfire.com and go to the apparatus section and scroll down to Foam 42-3. All the specs are there on it. It weighs in at just over 18000 lbs. Now we did add a few leaf springs to the rear for handling but we have had no troubles with handling or stopping. Darley also makes a flat bed type set up similar. If you go to the links section and find Grapeville VFD they have one on a 5500 Chevy for reference.
    Last edited by waterboy3; 12-12-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    One option we have discussed for our brush rig is replacing the dual rears with super singles. Anyone tried that on a F-550?
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122838 (New Brush Truck)

Also, go compare the frame size, cooling, and especially brakes on the F550 versus the 3500 (or even the F350). Major difference...

Forum Member

Lightbulb Ford Versus Chevy

I am retired from my vollie dept. I still consult smaller depts that need info on apparatus issues. The F550 6 person cab with a utility body and 300 Gallon tank with 150 GPM pump should weigh with basic rescue and fire equipment should work good. The utility body with water and pump should be around 8 thousand pounds. The real issue to be aware of is vehicle stability and handling. I would recommend looking at a 1.5 ton commercial truck. I like International trucks.

Forum Member

Here's one with an F550 4dr 4x4 1250 gpm pump, class A foam, nice set up by Toyne
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Just my personal opinion, but I see a lot more Ford trucks in the role of rescue trucks/brush trucks than Chevys. I also see a lot more Ford fleet trucks in service with various industries and so on.

And I drive a Chevy. Nothing against them, just noting Ford seems more popular for various uses of standard pickup trucks such as fire/rescue, fleet, service trucks and so on...both of our smaller rescue trucks are Fords and I've not heard any real complaints from anybody...other than the stiff ride.

Forum Member

Upgrading to the F-550 would be a better weight handling choice, but as for engines, one would do better with the new Ford offering of the F-650 since it can run the Cummins. As for a similar class though, I would lean towards a Dodge 5500 since it WILL run the Cummins which is the only diesel that meets EPA mandates without need of additives to keep it running down the road for miles on end.

Forum Member

The Ford can be factory set up for the extra switches needed for lights.

Forum Member

To be very honest with you, it sounds like you are looking for an initial attack rig which should not leave the hardpan.

To me, a bush truck is a much smaller and very different animal, and should be agile off road.

I'm not saying that the truck you have in mind can't work brush fires, but it sure sounds like you'll probably be stretching line to them as compared to driving to them.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information