Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omaha, Neb. Fire Exam Info

Forum Member

TrevorT,

I looked at the FY2012 Budget documents and it looks like 12 is what they have the money for this year, but who really knows for sure.

Has anyone else here gotten an email for their interview yet?

Forum Member

Thank you for looking into it. I imagine it will be between 10-20.

I believe when we submitted our background packet, it informed us that we should hear back by mid April. We should be hearing back any day now.

Forum Member

Yeah I got my email a few days ago...I fly out next week. Keep your schedule open because they only gave me about a weeks notice! Super stoked about it though...Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

good luck brother. I'm surprised how little notice they give you on all the dates. Its tough for out of state people to fly out on a whim.

Forum Member

did they give you a list of dates? or was it pre scheduled?

Forum Member

I hear ya...I'm out of state myself. They just sent me an email telling me to call a number before the 13 and when I did she gave me a list of dates and which date and time worked best for me. I figured they would be scheduling out for May interviews so I was surprised when she told me they were next week. I'm sure there will be tons more interview times through the rest of April and May, but I got my background and fact sheet in by mid March so I was pretty early with all that stuff. Not sure how many they are interviewing so it should be interesting to see how everything plays out!

Forum Member

Well I had my Fire Chief Interview yesterday and today my ranking came in the mail. I am in the 80's out of 655. But the list is only good for a year.

Forum Member

@shep3368... I'm guessing you were in the testing process from the previous year?

@mbert... When is your test date?

My buddy and I, who live in CO, have yet to hear back from them. I'm guessing it should be any day now.

Forum Member

I had my interview the 18th. I have two buddies that also haven't heard back yet, but they got their backgrounds in later than mine and also scored lower than me on the written. Not sure which is the cause of them not hearing yet. I live in Colorado also...what part are you from?

Forum Member

I live in northern Colorado. Are you part of any volunteer departments out here? Mind me asking what you scored on the written?

Forum Member

I PMed you TrevorT

Forum Member

Hope you guys don't mind me getting into your conversation - just found this forum and am excited to get to talk with people in the same boat as me. Anything new? I am so confused on what they are ranking us on - and what is gonna get us hired - the test score or the interview and experience? If it is my test score - I might as well have quit a long time ago - but if I still have a chance through the interview process - then I will keep pluggin away. Any info you guys have would be awesome - Thanks and good luck!

Forum Member

medicwenz,

Welcome! Nothing new thus far. I had my interview last week and I think I interviewed early because I got my CPAT done early and had my background stuff submitted by mid March.

I think HR is just giving us a rank for their purposes. Probably just for record keeping or something to submit to the powers that be. It says in the ranking letter that the Fire Department will ultimately make all the hiring decisions so I think it's smart of you to continue on in the process, for experience and more interview practice if nothing else. Being a medic, I am sure they will take you very seriously regardless.

Where are you at in the process?

Forum Member

Hey buddy - thanks for the response. I am waiting about my interview - which I assume I will be getting one. My advisor told me everyone that passed written and cpat would get an interview - but no word yet. Got a letter in the mail a few days ago - which was dissappointing - but I knew it would be. It told me my rank - which is a poor reflection of who I really am. I thought I did awesome on the written test - I studied alot and felt I was well prepared. Turns out I got a low 80 score which I can't explain what happened. I am hoping they look at my experience and education, and not weigh so much on my test score, because otherwise I haven't got a chance. I think it was the 50 personality questions that "aren't scored" that got me. Any info from you guys is MUCH appreciated!

Forum Member

Your interview date and time is dependent upon when you submitted all your background info so my guess is you were somewhere around the end of March? I struck up a conversation with the Firefighter who was checking everyone in before interviews and he said they are interviewing 600, doing about 150 people a week. Keep checking your email and keep your schedule open through May because they gave me one weeks notice to find a flight out and all that.

As for the written, I feel your pain. The first time I took it I thought I nailed it, but only got a 76%. It is absolutely all about those last 50 questions and it's figuring out how to answer them that is the difference maker.

You absolutely should get an interview so I would start preparing for it if you haven't started already and just forget about your rank and written. Just go in there and kill it and the rest will take care of itself!

Forum Member

Thanks friend - I appreciate your help. I wish you the best of luck - and I will keep checking this forum for any info - so if you hear any new, please fill me in and I will do the same for you guys.

Forum Member

My buddy just got an email to schedule his interview for next week which would be week 3 of interviews. I would expect the last round of emails to go out next tuesday or wednesday (May1-2) unless they are going to do a 5th week of interviews. Keep checkin that mail...

Forum Member

Thanks Bud - I haven't had a chance to get back on here in the last few days. Got my email the night before last and my interview is tomorrow. I am pretty stoked! I am nervous, but have been preparing for some time now so I will hope for the best. Good luck guys - talk to you soon.

Forum Member

Good luck, have fun!

Anyone on here know when job offers will go out or when were supposed to hear back by?

Forum Member

my interview has been scheduled for Friday. Like Mbert said, be flexible... they tried to book my interview for tuesday or wednesday.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything yet? I went on a ride along the day before my interview and heard they could be putting people through an academy within 6 weeks.

Forum Member

They allowed you to do a ride along even though you were in the testing process? That's pretty awesome! Yeah I have just heard they were originally looking at doing a May academy, but are now shooting for June/July. Chief McDonnell evidently wants it ASAP so my guess is we all should hear before the end of this month. I'll keep posting as I hear stuff. Hope your interviews all went well!

Forum Member

I was surprised they let me ride along the day before. It was nice to use that in the interview. I had my interview on friday and I'm anxious to hear my results... I can't imagine what you're going through Mbert... Going on 3 weeks?

Forum Member

That's awesome bud! Yeah its been since mid April. Still sitting on pins and needles. One more week on interviews then probably another week of decision making for the department. Just have to keep being patient!

Forum Member

My buddy just did his phone interview on Monday so hopefully they are passed all the interviews by now and are on to the decision making. Let me know if anybody hears anything.

Thread Information