Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omaha, Neb. Fire Exam Info

Forum Member

Really? I would have imagined there would be at least 2-3 interviews before any conditional job offer would be put out there. My understanding is that the second interview is the instance where you have to respond to your backround check. Are you sure they are only gauging their hires off of one interview? Are they rushing the process this fast?

Forum Member

FirefighterRico,

It was my understanding that there would only be one interview. If selected, you move on to a psych and medical evaluation then an official job offer. Maybe the psych evaluation is what you're thinking the 2nd interview is? As far as I know, either you pass you background or you don't and it won't be addressed in the future, but I don't know for sure. I got all my info from HR personnel, the website and a friend who is a FF in the Omaha area. Where did you get your info from? I'm sure anything and everything is on the table for sure.

Forum Member

I have a couple friends who are on Omaha Fire, but their information is mostly from the internal grapevine and also their experience through the hiring process. I asked about the when they would start making moves for the next step while I was at the interview, and they told me it would be about 4-6 weeks before they would start making contacts again. The said they originally hoped for a class to begin during May, but since there was so many applicants that survived the process, it was being pushed back to a realistic late June/possibly early July in order to handle the high volume of applicants. I know they are rushing the process, but not sure how fast. I also know that Omaha Fire had just recently put in their request for 30-40 hires within the the Mayor's office. They have to do this now because of the way the new union contracts are placed, and need approval from the council for "x" amount of hires to be approve. So who knows how many hires will be allowed by the council. I think based on the timeline they gave during the interview, that we could be hearing back from the Dept anyday now. I'm wondering also if anyone has been contacted yet? Lincoln Fire should be making their initial contacts on Monday as well, after their written exams about a week and a half ago. Though I'm unclear as to how many hires they are looking for. They did say they will accept only the top 120 scores from the written exam to continue to their PAT.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you have some good insight. There is nothing on the website or from any of my sources saying there were any other parts in the process other than medical and psych if you make it through, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't add anything. If they want to hustle people into an academy I would think they would just want to do the medical and psych and call it good, but all we can do is speculate at this point.

My buddy just had his phone interview on Monday so I'm not sure how many more of those they have to go through before they start making decisions. When did you interview?

Forum Member

I had my interview early around mid April, because I was the first round of backrounds after PAT. I assume that was your buddy's first interview over the phone because he is from out of town?

Forum Member

Yeah that's the exact same time I did mine. And yeah we're both from out of town, but I flew in for my interview. I think they were trying to get all interviews done last week, but had some phone interview stragglers this week. I would assume they are all done now and hopefully contacts will be made next week, but who knows. These last 4 weeks have been unbelievably long so I hope they keep hustling and start making some offers.

Forum Member

I think there might be 1 more step. A step to narrow it down even more. How can they interview 655 applicants and decide on 25? I don't know whats next, but wouldn't they usually break it down to 100 or so and those 100 go to a chiefs interview? a real chiefs interview with 1 on 1? I'm new to this process so I could be completely wrong... But I feel like theres gotta be 1 more step.

Forum Member

Was wondering if maybe they are narrowing it down by education and experience - seemed like the interview was definitely focused on that - noticing them checking off boxes for FF1 and 2, EMT, Paramedic, etc., was a signal to me. I could be wrong though - maybe wishful thinking! Keep us posted on any news - and good luck to all of you!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

In the same boat as you all are. Major question I have that no one can answer and only time will tell is are they going to hire lateral transfers or basically new people that need a full on academy. I fall into the latter so I am hoping for that.

Forum Member

BradleyT,

This whole process is for entry level firefighters so no matter what experience you have, you'll definitely go through an academy. The real question is what they are really looking for in their candidates. If they are just looking for those that are the best fit then it will be a full on comprehensive academy, but if they are looking to hire people with experience then they will probably do an abbreviated academy with more skills evaluations and a little less teaching.

I'm completely guessing here so I really don't know what their plans on for any of this or if they want to do more steps or anything. I would hope that we would all hear sometime this week, but who knows. Keep posting as you hear info!

Forum Member

When I was at one of the stations talking to their newest hire (who had been on for 3 years) he told me he was hired for an academy for canidates already certified. This academy was abbreviated and wasn't as long as their entry level academy. Just fyi.
    Last edited by TrevorT; 05-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Forum Member

Just got my letter today for a second interview. Anybody else?

Forum Member

first off, congratulations.

second, did you receive it via email or snail mail? How far out did they schedule it?

I'll be home today and have to check it out. Where do you live?

Forum Member

Thanks buddy - got it in the mail today. Interviews are scheduled for June 1st and 2nd, which is only about a week away. Didn't give much info really. I live in Falls City, NE so it usually takes a few extra days to get to me from Omaha. Let me know if you get anything buddy - and good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my letter yesterday also,looks like the second round of interviews will be from the 1st to the 6th

Forum Member

BradleyT - Do you have any idea how many candidates are in the second round? I heard maybe 100, but that is not confirmed. And any idea if this is the last interview? If they are wanting to hire in June - it has almost got to be the last one to give people the opportunity to give their current employer sufficient notice. If I hear anything else I will let you know. Good luck man!

Forum Member

Got my letter earlier today also. Gonna be a busy week! I'm curious to see what kind of questions they ask us this time around. My buddy in Omaha told me the department put in a bid to the City Council to hire 40, but only got approved for 25 spots. That's all the info I've gotten so far about this round.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know anything else either other than the dates for interviews include a Saturday, kinda weird! Don't know how many they are interviewing, what they are going to be like, or how many they are going to hire or when. Sounds like 25 spots might be a possibility I think that is how many Police they just hired for a class as a friend of mine is going to be in that class. Good luck to everyone! Getting closer...

Forum Member

Called this morning to schedule my second interview. Next Tuesday! Can't wait to get back out to Omaha!

MembersZone Subscriber

Mine is next Wednesday, then it's all over but the cryin
    medicwenz likes this.

Forum Member

Had mine today - sounds like there is rumor of possibly another interview after this one. Hard to believe this process started in November! I will let you know if I hear anything else, please do the same for me. Good luck at your interviews guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to everyone still in the hunt here in Omaha! I don't know anything more than I did last week but if I hear anything I will let everyone know the scoop. Now I need to go make sure my shirt is ironed!

MembersZone Subscriber

Had my interview is am and wow no one is saying anything I can find out on what my happen next... Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Had mine yesterday also. I hope they are able to make some decisions soon because my wallet's runnin' pretty thin these days...completely worth it, but thin nonetheless. Let me know if you people who live in Omaha hear anything and I'll do the same. I would assume we would hear something by the end of this month?

Forum Member

So - 2nd interviews all done now. How are you guys feeling? Without giving out confidential info about the process - I for one am not too confident after this last interview. Wasn't what I expected at all - and had kinda worked myself up for something else I guess. I don't know though - guess we will see what happens. Hopefully hear something soon - bet there is another interview though. It would be hard to hire people off the last interview. And I hear ya mbert - hope decisions are made soon. It is getting to be a tiresome and expensive process! Again - Good luck to all of ya!

Thread Information