Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Omaha, Neb. Fire Exam Info

Forum Member

I PMed you TrevorT

Forum Member

Hope you guys don't mind me getting into your conversation - just found this forum and am excited to get to talk with people in the same boat as me. Anything new? I am so confused on what they are ranking us on - and what is gonna get us hired - the test score or the interview and experience? If it is my test score - I might as well have quit a long time ago - but if I still have a chance through the interview process - then I will keep pluggin away. Any info you guys have would be awesome - Thanks and good luck!

Forum Member

medicwenz,

Welcome! Nothing new thus far. I had my interview last week and I think I interviewed early because I got my CPAT done early and had my background stuff submitted by mid March.

I think HR is just giving us a rank for their purposes. Probably just for record keeping or something to submit to the powers that be. It says in the ranking letter that the Fire Department will ultimately make all the hiring decisions so I think it's smart of you to continue on in the process, for experience and more interview practice if nothing else. Being a medic, I am sure they will take you very seriously regardless.

Where are you at in the process?

Forum Member

Hey buddy - thanks for the response. I am waiting about my interview - which I assume I will be getting one. My advisor told me everyone that passed written and cpat would get an interview - but no word yet. Got a letter in the mail a few days ago - which was dissappointing - but I knew it would be. It told me my rank - which is a poor reflection of who I really am. I thought I did awesome on the written test - I studied alot and felt I was well prepared. Turns out I got a low 80 score which I can't explain what happened. I am hoping they look at my experience and education, and not weigh so much on my test score, because otherwise I haven't got a chance. I think it was the 50 personality questions that "aren't scored" that got me. Any info from you guys is MUCH appreciated!

Forum Member

Your interview date and time is dependent upon when you submitted all your background info so my guess is you were somewhere around the end of March? I struck up a conversation with the Firefighter who was checking everyone in before interviews and he said they are interviewing 600, doing about 150 people a week. Keep checking your email and keep your schedule open through May because they gave me one weeks notice to find a flight out and all that.

As for the written, I feel your pain. The first time I took it I thought I nailed it, but only got a 76%. It is absolutely all about those last 50 questions and it's figuring out how to answer them that is the difference maker.

You absolutely should get an interview so I would start preparing for it if you haven't started already and just forget about your rank and written. Just go in there and kill it and the rest will take care of itself!

Forum Member

Thanks friend - I appreciate your help. I wish you the best of luck - and I will keep checking this forum for any info - so if you hear any new, please fill me in and I will do the same for you guys.

Forum Member

My buddy just got an email to schedule his interview for next week which would be week 3 of interviews. I would expect the last round of emails to go out next tuesday or wednesday (May1-2) unless they are going to do a 5th week of interviews. Keep checkin that mail...

Forum Member

Thanks Bud - I haven't had a chance to get back on here in the last few days. Got my email the night before last and my interview is tomorrow. I am pretty stoked! I am nervous, but have been preparing for some time now so I will hope for the best. Good luck guys - talk to you soon.

Forum Member

Good luck, have fun!

Anyone on here know when job offers will go out or when were supposed to hear back by?

Forum Member

my interview has been scheduled for Friday. Like Mbert said, be flexible... they tried to book my interview for tuesday or wednesday.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything yet? I went on a ride along the day before my interview and heard they could be putting people through an academy within 6 weeks.

Forum Member

They allowed you to do a ride along even though you were in the testing process? That's pretty awesome! Yeah I have just heard they were originally looking at doing a May academy, but are now shooting for June/July. Chief McDonnell evidently wants it ASAP so my guess is we all should hear before the end of this month. I'll keep posting as I hear stuff. Hope your interviews all went well!

Forum Member

I was surprised they let me ride along the day before. It was nice to use that in the interview. I had my interview on friday and I'm anxious to hear my results... I can't imagine what you're going through Mbert... Going on 3 weeks?

Forum Member

That's awesome bud! Yeah its been since mid April. Still sitting on pins and needles. One more week on interviews then probably another week of decision making for the department. Just have to keep being patient!

Forum Member

My buddy just did his phone interview on Monday so hopefully they are passed all the interviews by now and are on to the decision making. Let me know if anybody hears anything.

Forum Member

Really? I would have imagined there would be at least 2-3 interviews before any conditional job offer would be put out there. My understanding is that the second interview is the instance where you have to respond to your backround check. Are you sure they are only gauging their hires off of one interview? Are they rushing the process this fast?

Forum Member

FirefighterRico,

It was my understanding that there would only be one interview. If selected, you move on to a psych and medical evaluation then an official job offer. Maybe the psych evaluation is what you're thinking the 2nd interview is? As far as I know, either you pass you background or you don't and it won't be addressed in the future, but I don't know for sure. I got all my info from HR personnel, the website and a friend who is a FF in the Omaha area. Where did you get your info from? I'm sure anything and everything is on the table for sure.

Forum Member

I have a couple friends who are on Omaha Fire, but their information is mostly from the internal grapevine and also their experience through the hiring process. I asked about the when they would start making moves for the next step while I was at the interview, and they told me it would be about 4-6 weeks before they would start making contacts again. The said they originally hoped for a class to begin during May, but since there was so many applicants that survived the process, it was being pushed back to a realistic late June/possibly early July in order to handle the high volume of applicants. I know they are rushing the process, but not sure how fast. I also know that Omaha Fire had just recently put in their request for 30-40 hires within the the Mayor's office. They have to do this now because of the way the new union contracts are placed, and need approval from the council for "x" amount of hires to be approve. So who knows how many hires will be allowed by the council. I think based on the timeline they gave during the interview, that we could be hearing back from the Dept anyday now. I'm wondering also if anyone has been contacted yet? Lincoln Fire should be making their initial contacts on Monday as well, after their written exams about a week and a half ago. Though I'm unclear as to how many hires they are looking for. They did say they will accept only the top 120 scores from the written exam to continue to their PAT.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you have some good insight. There is nothing on the website or from any of my sources saying there were any other parts in the process other than medical and psych if you make it through, but that certainly doesn't mean they won't add anything. If they want to hustle people into an academy I would think they would just want to do the medical and psych and call it good, but all we can do is speculate at this point.

My buddy just had his phone interview on Monday so I'm not sure how many more of those they have to go through before they start making decisions. When did you interview?

Forum Member

I had my interview early around mid April, because I was the first round of backrounds after PAT. I assume that was your buddy's first interview over the phone because he is from out of town?

Thread Information